Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How Soon can a newborn Travel!?...kinda long!

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 6:46 PM
  • 12 Replies

My husband and i are having some troubles he isnt wanting to spent time with my daughter and I all he seems to want to do is play his game so im tired of asking him to spend time with us I begged today for him to spent time with our daughter he came home from work played his game with a friend and we watched a movie while my daughter napped then after he wanted to play his game again and i said no so he went upstairs to throw a fit!So i told him i was just going to go home cause im getting sick and tired of him and im not putting up with it anymore!I We live in Maryland and im going back to Cali.Im going home after i have the baby cause im already 33 weeks well my mom is coming after i have him and i was going to fly with her so she can help with the two kids but how soon can a newborn fly!??

by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 6:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 6:49 PM

I'm sorry you guys' problems are so bad you feel you have to leave :( I hope things get better.

Anyways, we flew for the first time when our daughter was 2 months old. I'm sure they can fly sooner than that, but with the health risks that traveling imposes, it's best to wait as long as you can. Also, try to get a non-stop flight if you's a lot easier with a newborn.

by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 6:53 PM

I'm not sure if there is an exact age when a baby can fly...but i flew with my dd when she was just under 6wks old and she was alright. They just tell you to try and fly non-stop and to get a flight during her longest sleep period....if thats not feesible then fly when she will be feeding to help alleviate the ear pressure. You could also ask your doc if you should wait longer or if it could be sooner.

by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 6:54 PM

i have to move right after my babys born my doc said a month for you as much as the baby

by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 6:56 PM

idk i traveled by car with my youngest when she was a month old

by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 6:57 PM

I think it is at least a week. i think the reasoning for it is for Moms so that they are somewhat recovering from the birth. You are at a greater risk for blood clots flying for a long period of time. Just would have to take precautions when you fly to get up and stretch your legs every couple of hrs. Glad to see that you are putting your foot down. If video games are coming before his family. That is a problem. There might be something else behind his thinking. Maybe consider having  a calm conversations with him and ask how he is feeling about becoming a dad again. Is he feeling scared, having that extra financial pressure even though it should be a joyous occasion can cause stress and he may be embarrassed by his feelings. Try getting him to open up to you about how having a second child is going to be good but how you can see how it could cause him to have some stress about being a parent of two children. Good luck.

by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 7:00 PM

They need a Dr order if its b/4 14 days old after that they can fly. Good luck

by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 7:04 PM

I flew with my son when he was 4 weeks old, I was going to visit my husband at tech school. We lived in California at the time, he was in Florida. Two very long flights, but he was good. I would make sure the pediatrician ok's it first, just for that peace of mind.

When my dad and stepmom adopted my baby sister, they flew her home when she was a couple days old, and she was a preemie. But, she was doing really well, and she would have been able to go home with the mom if it had been a normal situation (go to the hospital, have the baby, come home with baby). They did have to have a pediatrician ok it first, though, since she was so little.

Pregnancy ticker
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 7:10 PM

I drove with my 3 yr old daughter from Louisiana to Pennsylvania (about 1300 miles) when she was just 5 days old. She was born in the summer, so it wasn't too hard. That would probably be the best way to do it if you are looking to leave soon after her birth. I flew back to La when my daughter was 5 weeks old and she did great.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 7:21 PM

Not sure on the age, check with your pedi on that one.  Make sure to feed after takeoff and during landing to help relieve the pressure on the ears.  Good luck and I hope things get better for you! :o)

Pregnancy Ticker

by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 7:35 PM

Thanks!I might just wait a little after i have him because going back home my daughter and I got sick after traveling! and that will give my husband some time with him maybe he will change but i dont think he will cause its been like this a bunch of times so this is the last time i can handle it!I wish things could work out we have been together almost 6 years married 3 years!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)