Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Having a C-Section because of Ovarian Cyst that needs to come out!!!

Posted by on Nov. 21, 2009 at 1:34 PM
  • 11 Replies

So this is my First pregnancy and I'm having a girl and due March 5th!  Anyways, I have a Ovarian Cyst in my left ovary that has to come out. Unfortunately its not the type that will go away on its own. My OB/GYN suggested doing the c-section so we could take care of it at the same time. She said once the baby is out she will sew up my uterus and then go after the cyst which should take an extrs 15 minutes or so. She did say that If I wanted to have a vaginal birth I could but once healed I would need to come in for surgery to have it removed. Unfortunately, because it is IN my ovary the surgery can't be done laparscopically... she is trying to prevent me from losing my ovary... Anyone else have this happen... I'm a little scared of having a c-section.

by on Nov. 21, 2009 at 1:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MelaniesMama
by on Nov. 21, 2009 at 1:38 PM

No, but if it were me I would have a vaginal birth if possible then have the surgery later.If you want more kids you will most likely have to have them all by c-section if you have it this time around.

LovesAsoldier
by on Nov. 21, 2009 at 1:41 PM

Bless your heart!! I personally think I would do the c-section and surgery at the same time. But you need to do what feel right for you. I don't believe that there is a wrong decision. :) Hope all goes well!!

Aniyunwiya
by on Nov. 21, 2009 at 1:43 PM

Quoting MelaniesMama:

No, but if it were me I would have a vaginal birth if possible then have the surgery later.If you want more kids you will most likely have to have them all by c-section if you have it this time around.

I agree, especially if you want to have more kids, a lot of docs and hospitials are NOT VBAC friendly, and the more c/s you have, the higher the risk.

kayleena
by on Nov. 21, 2009 at 1:45 PM

I have had 2 c-sections not for having a cyst but its not as bad as its made out to be. I was terrified  also. I would want to recover one time rather than 2 times though. And a lot of doctors perform v-bacs these days.. just because you have a c-section does not mean you will always need to have one.

BaBiiMaMa89
by on Nov. 21, 2009 at 1:51 PM

i would personally just have the c/s at the same time. why have a vag birth and then a surgery? i'd just have it all done at once and it be over with. but thats JMO..ive had 3 sections so im not scared of em at all :) gl w/ everything

I am a (almost) 20 year old, Mommy to 3 beautiful babies, Javier Brandon (7-8-06), Karina Adriana (8-8-08), and Christian Juan (10-20-09). I am a Vaxing, Spanking when necessary, Breast Feeding, Previous formula feeding, disposable diaper using, c-sectioned 3X, as long as my kids are happy, I'm happy kinda mama :)

Shy_Dia
by on Nov. 21, 2009 at 1:53 PM

Quoting kayleena:

I have had 2 c-sections not for having a cyst but its not as bad as its made out to be. I was terrified  also. I would want to recover one time rather than 2 times though. And a lot of doctors perform v-bacs these days.. just because you have a c-section does not mean you will always need to have one.

i'd recover for both at the same time, rather than getting over the childbirth for a while and then getting in the groove of thing and f'ing it all up cuz you gotta get surgery for something else.. kwim? thats just my opinion.

and the c-section thing.. thats not true either. my mom's friend had 5 c-sections i think. and for the 6th kid she wanted it vaginally. lol she said never again cuz of the pain, but she was able to do it- the docs was willing. her 7th kid she did the c-section cuz it didnt hurt (the pushing, tearing, etc. lol)

MammaRed
by on Nov. 21, 2009 at 1:57 PM

Quoting kayleena:

Me too -- this is why I would want to have a vaginal birth and then do the surgery later.  If you have a c-section, the OB/GYN is going to cut open your uterus (to take out the baby) and then your ovary (to remove the cyst.)  That is going to be remarkably more painful from which recover than to have a vaginal delivery then go in for the cyst removal. 

Honestly, having an ovarian cyst does not effect giving birth -- you will be able to handle a normal delivery just fine.  Now if it were a uterine cyst, that would be a different story altogether.  But I would not allow your OB to scare you into an unnecesary c-section for the sake of removing an ovarian cyst.  In the end it is completely up to you, I just want to make sure you are aware that you have many options out there. 

Because the previous poster is correct -- finding a hospital/OB whom is VBAC friendly is like finding a needle in a haystack...in space.  LoL!  I would love it more of them did perform more VBAC's but that is just not the case yet due to insurance policies and malpractice suits.  (political BS) so I would definitely try to avoid a c-section at all costs seeing as how this is your first baby.   But don't go too heavily off of cafemom -- try reading up on things yourself.  A good one is "Thinking Woman's Guide to Better Birth"  By Henci Goer.  Congrats and good luck!  :o) 

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
housefullofkidz
by on Nov. 21, 2009 at 2:13 PM

I agree.

Quoting LovesAsoldier:

Bless your heart!! I personally think I would do the c-section and surgery at the same time. But you need to do what feel right for you. I don't believe that there is a wrong decision. :) Hope all goes well!!

There are two ways to live your life - one is as though nothing is a miracle, the other is as though everything is a miracle. Albert Einstein andee.jpg picture by us5dots   Join us in the Pregnancy Group,Housefullofkidz, Pregnancy Group Mod 

icecoffee_lover
by on Nov. 21, 2009 at 2:25 PM

I had a cyst on my ovary as well with my first pregnancy. For me it did go away I didn't have to have surgery. I have had 3  c-sections and I was nervous for all 3. Now a days c-sections are very common and the doctors know what they are doing. If it was me, I would rather have a c-section and it get done and over with only becuase I would not want to have surgery and then try to take care of a new born.  Best of luck.

marnao122
by on Nov. 21, 2009 at 2:43 PM

Congratulations on your pregnancy.  My sister is pregnant with her 3rd child and she is due on March 2nd.  She also has an ovarian cyst.  The last time she was pregnant she miscarried because the baby was too close to the cyst, but this time she has a very healthy baby girl that will be here in March.  When she arrives, the other two children will be 15 and 18. 

Marna Sechter Oliver I am a Proud Member of Internet CEO Moms working with an award winning Wellness company. You can have healthier, safer products for your home just by switching stores. To learn more, visit my website: http://internetceomoms.com/MarnaOliver

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN