Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

sweets = big baby...

Posted by on Nov. 29, 2009 at 11:07 PM
  • 21 Replies

well obviously this is true, but HOW true...  who ate lots of junk food, fast food, or sweets and had bigger babies... and whose where still average sized...

i crave fast food and sweets... but im TERRIFIED of having a big baby, my son was only 7 lbs exactly and was in preeemie clothes for 3 weeks...he was so little, now im terrified of havinga 9 pound baby.... i want another little tiny thing lol

by on Nov. 29, 2009 at 11:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sissychristi
by on Nov. 29, 2009 at 11:10 PM

This is my first. I eat very healthy and stay away from sweets and I am pretty tiny so far. I had a few friends and family members who ate a lot of junk (refined sugars) and gained a lot of weight but that didn't always mean a bigger 9lb baby. Only the ones who developed gestational diabetes had big babies. Of course, GD can be prevented in most women by sticking to a healthy diet and staying away from refined sugars.

pregnant bellyJoin us in the Pregnancy Group -

sissychristi, Pregnancy Group Mod

2009mami2alex
by on Nov. 29, 2009 at 11:13 PM

it scares me because my sister ate lots of sweets while preggo with her son and he was almost 10 lbs... and my step sister was almost 12 lbs and her mom ate tonsssss of sweets...

Quoting sissychristi:

This is my first. I eat very healthy and stay away from sweets and I am pretty tiny so far. I had a few friends and family members who ate a lot of junk (refined sugars) and gained a lot of weight but that didn't always mean a bigger 9lb baby. Only the ones who developed gestational diabetes had big babies. Of course, GD can be prevented in most women by sticking to a healthy diet and staying away from refined sugars.

dragonfly_gal
by on Nov. 29, 2009 at 11:14 PM

so far i have stayed away from eating sweets but this last 5wks i have wanted nothing btu sweets to eat and junk food to...the other day we were out at mc donalds since we get hubbys sister's discount when shes on brak or not wroking adn its a money saver..anyways i was super hungry ike i ha not eatne in days is how if elt and i ordered a big mac and large fry and large drink since hubby and i share the drink......i ate all of that but instead they gave us a med fry and i had said a large fry and we got 2 free large fry since they messed the order up and then hubby was nice sicne he knew i was still hungry and he got me another big mac.....

i had 2big macs and 2 large fry while there and a drink and i was full after that but that is the msot i have eaten while prego.....

iam 38 wks and last wed at my docs ffice they gave me a ultrasound to see where the bay was position in all ..shes ehad down and she weighs about 8lbs 4ozs and i am not due til dec 13 but may be induced sincei hva had big babies before and this si baby #3 for me.....but i normally eat healthy and stay away from junk food,pop,and eat healthy and i still ahve had big babies..but again i am only 5 4 so i may have big babies since i am small in height that is

good luck

sissychristi
by on Nov. 29, 2009 at 11:17 PM

Just stay away from the sweets, processed/boxed foods, fast foods, etc.

Make your own food at home. Stick to whole grains, low-fat dairy products, and lots of veggies. Snack on things that are higher in protein and they will help you stay full and not crave food.

Then, if you want to indulge in something sweet, eat smaller portions. Have one small scoop of ice cream but add lots of fresh or frozen berries to the top.

Try not to keep bad foods in the house and that way you won't be tempted to raid the cupboards. Seriously, when you are tired you will not want to drive to the store for that candy or the bag of chips. You will snack of whatever you have.

Quoting 2009mami2alex:

it scares me because my sister ate lots of sweets while preggo with her son and he was almost 10 lbs... and my step sister was almost 12 lbs and her mom ate tonsssss of sweets...

Quoting sissychristi:

pregnant bellyJoin us in the Pregnancy Group -

sissychristi, Pregnancy Group Mod

angiebaby90
by on Nov. 29, 2009 at 11:18 PM

I have juvenile diabetes at the time i was prego i had had it for almost 16 yrs. I ate healthy and stayed fit (5'5'' weight at conception 148 and gained 17lbs) so i was not overweight and had a 8 lb 8 ounce girl. So eating sugars and starches doesnt really affect ur baby. At least from what ive seen from mine and friends experiences 

aSoldierSWifE44
by on Nov. 29, 2009 at 11:20 PM

I dont think eating sweets and junk will make your baby bigger, just make you bigger.

I ate all day and all night all kinda junk with both kids. I had a 8lb and 7.4lber

Ammie25
by on Nov. 29, 2009 at 11:22 PM

I haven't been eating many sweets. It's practically a habit in our fam not to have much junk food around. I still have all our Halloween candy on the top of the fridge. Never been touched.

But I have yet to see a healthy sized baby, as my son was premie and only 2 lbs 7 ozs. Definitely scared of having a big baby, but compared to my first, healthy size is huge to me! LOL.

happymommy42008
by on Nov. 30, 2009 at 3:30 AM

I don't think this is true..... for me at least.

Both my daughters were born @ 37 weeks.

With my first daughter I was very careful about what I ate and that it was healthy. However it was a very complicated pregnancy and received two shots of steroids. She weighted in at 7lbs 1oz.

My second daughter I was not so careful because I realized that so much could still go wrong no matter how well you take care of your self! Anyway with her I ate what I wanted which was a lot of junk! I aslo had a complicated pregnancy with her just not as severe....no steroids. She weighed in at 6lbs 11oz

Which makes me think maybe just the opposite, maybe babies grow better with healthy food vs junk. But it could have just been the steroids!

hope this helps!

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
BeachMama05
by on Nov. 30, 2009 at 9:38 AM

i ate horrible with my son and he was only 6 lbs 10oz so i wouldnt go by that

MJWard
by on Nov. 30, 2009 at 10:00 AM

Totally untrue..at least for me! My son was only 6lbs 8oz at 41 weeks and I ate all kinds of crap! I think it has to do with the mother. Our bodies grow what we can handle..but thats just my opinion.

pregnancy calendar

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)