Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Running out of time?

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:46 AM
  • 4 Replies

Aloha fellow Mommies and Soon to be Mommies,

My name is Mary. I am pregnant with baby boy #3 and am 26 weeks and due at the beginning of March. I have been looking up on line info about pre-term labor and signs of being in labor. Thankfully I have not had any symptoms.

My concern is this. I am slightly over weight and have read that if a mom to be was over weight that she could go into labor early. My SIL & my BFF were both over weight and both delivered 4-5 weeks early. (Both babies are doing well and healthy.) Has anyone else read that?

The only reason why I worry is because my DH has come to me and said he wants to do a few renovations starting this week. When he handed me his "list" I wanted to fall over. He claims he can be done with all of this by the end of Jan. (I honestly have my doubts.)

Here's his list ...

paint, rip out carpet & tile bedroom

paint, rip out carpet & tile kids room

replace shower stall, toilet, paint & tile in bathroom

rip out counters and counter tops and replace, paint & tile kitchen

What is it about husbands taking on more then they can handle or is it just mine? Then he starts to complain to me that he has so much to do and that he's the only one doing all of the work. I can't help that I am limited to what I can and can not do. Then he makes it seem like that I don't understand what it will take to finish all of this.

Don't get me wrong the bedrooms could use a fresh coat of paint, and if DH insists that that the carpet has to be taken out and we need to tile, then OK. But I don't understand the rest, I think it can wait. 

Is this his form of nesting? Has anyone heard of Daddies to be nesting? What can I do to convince him that we should just take care of what absolutely needs to be taken care of and the rest we can do later? Help me Mommies, what do I do?

CafeMom Tickers
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
shellszee
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:54 AM

I am 37 weeks with my 3rd baby and I am really overweight with this baby. I haven't read anything about pre-term labor b/c of being overweight...but yea due to the complications that you can get for being overweight. Your chances for diabetes and pre-eclampsia go up and you can get other problems. I developed gestational diabetes with this one and I am going to be induced early, but I haven't noticed any signs of labor.

I've read about daddies having symptoms of the mommy. I say if he wants to do all that and he is actually putting the time in to do it and there is a good chance it will all be done by the time the baby comes then let him have at it.

dragonflie
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 8:23 AM

I have not read anything like that.  I am overweight and have been with all my pregnancies.  My first 2 children were both 2 weeks late and I have a feeling that this little one will be the same way.

Life is short, break the rules, forgive quickly,

Kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably,

And never regret anything that made you smile

Stop by and sign my guess book, I finally figured out how to add it to my homepage!

rockinmomto2
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 9:01 AM

No, it just depends on when your baby's done. I'm overweight, and I was due on thanksgiving. So as of today, I'm 5 days overdue. With my second, he was 4 days late. So it really doesn't matter how much you weigh. I'd say just do the renovations! Oh, and it sounds like your DH just wants to do something to help. My DH likes to do things for me even when I'm perfectly capable of doing them for myself. He just wants to feel useful, you know? Plus, I'm sure that tile will be much more useful in Hawaii than carpet. I remember how the sand would just get EVERYWHERE no matter how hard we tried to keep it out of the house (I grew up in Hawaii).

Pukity
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 9:05 AM

I started this pregnancy with around 35 pounds overweight and my fear was with the diabetes, I dont have diabetes but it runs in my family, however, I'm 36 weeks and haven't had any symptoms I didn't develop gestational diabetes either, since I was getting swollen since I was 20 weeks they were kind of concerned about  pre-eclampsia, however it looks like the swelling it's just retention of liquid since all the exams have been normal, the only thing that I can recommend since this is my first baby and I'm not an expert, but they recommended me to lower the salt and sodium intake, drink plenty of water, and you can have something sweet once in a while, so far I haven't had any symptoms and this pregnancy has been really nice Thank God, now is that I'm feeling contractions and those are the BH contractions and some discharge but they told that those discharge with mucus are normal it could be that I'm loosing the mucus plug little by little, but well, Good luck with that mommy¡¡

In regards to your DH well, I dont know 'cause I don't have a DH but I think that maybe the replacing of tiles in the bathroom could wait, like you said painting it will be OK but everything by the end of January I have doubts too, seems like nesting yes, try to calm him down tell him just to focus on what's important for the baby only. I guess.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)