Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So, I know that getting internal exams can introduce more bacteria...

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 8:39 AM
  • 9 Replies

But can sex? Why is it encouraged to have sex late in pregnancy (a healthy one), but vaginal exams are sometimes looked down upon? Wouldn't your SO's 'parts' have just as much bacteria as a rubber glove with lube on it? Do you ladies who refuse internal exams think that doing the deed is still alright?

Just curious. Not bashing at all. It was just something that has been on my mind.

Pregnancy ticker

"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.” ~Mahatma Ghandi

by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 8:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
kemmerer411
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 8:45 AM

I thought this same thing the ENTIRE time I was pregnant. lol. I have no idea of the answer tho, altho I assume both have generally the same amount of germs. I refused internal exams until I was 2 days away from my due date (with the exception of 1 time because I was bleeding heavily for no apparent reason) and that was only so she could strip my membranes. I refused only because checking for dialation doesnt mean ANYTHING and I would rather let my imagination run wild that everytime I was having a stupid braxton hicks contraction my cervix was dialating more and more. lol. When I finally got my exam 2 days before my due date I was 1cm. So most likely had I been examined more often I wouldnt have been dialated at all and surely would have been disappointed. Good question tho!

Cynthje
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 8:47 AM

There are a couple of reasons why they are different, your body is used to the bacteria that are on the penis and in normal intercourse the penis does not actually enter the cervix. It is not forced into the cervix itself.

Personally for me the biggest objection to internal exams is because it is useless information, there is no point in knowing that you are x cm dilated because it doesn't predict anything, it only adds stress to the  mothers. There is no way to predict when labor will start at all, dilation doesn't mean anything, you can go from 0 to 10 cm within a couple of hours but you can also walk around  a couple of cm dilated for many many weeks.

After the water is broken internal checks raise the chances of developing an infection, i read stories where women get many many checks during labor and it can not be good to have that done. During the labor that i did allow them i only had two, there was no need for more. During my last labor i didn't have any and it was great!

Throughout the world, there exists a group of women who feel mightily drawn to giving care to women in childbirth. At the same time maternal and independent, responsive to a mother's needs, yet accepting full responsibility as her attendant; such women are natural midwives. Without the presence and acceptance of the midwife, obstetrics becomes aggressive, technical, and inhuman.

Professor G.J. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam

First_One_8_18
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 9:32 AM

Thanks! I don't do internal exams just because I think they are pointless for me. My body doesn't go into labor and I have scheduled c-sections, so they have no bearing on the progress of my pregnancy. I was just thinking about it after SO and I did the deed last night and I got on CM- lol

Pregnancy ticker

"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.” ~Mahatma Ghandi

mamasangels2009
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 9:36 AM

Personally, I do not allow the internal exams in early pregnancy due to the risk of irritating the cervix and bringing on labor. In later pregnancy I do not see the need in knowing how much you are dialated because your body will go in labor when it is time. You could stay dialated to say 3 for weeks and that is more stress on the mother and therefore the baby. As for sex, in my opinion, most pregnant women are only with one man during the time they are pregnant and therefore your body is immune to the bacteria from your SO or DH penis and will not be affected. However, if your water is leaking or has broken sex would introduce bacteria that could enter the cervix. And bring on problems. During sex the penis never actually enters the cervix and for some never touched it because when you have sex your cervix will move a little higher this happens whether you are pregnant or not.  

Baby Adam due March 30th 2010!

Wife to Chris, mommy to Chelsea, Ashleigh, Matthew, Stephanie, and Jonathan. One on the way!
_rexie
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:50 AM

Wow, that is a really good question!

happySAHMmomof2
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 12:59 PM

Quoting First_One_8_18:

Thanks! I don't do internal exams just because I think they are pointless for me. My body doesn't go into labor and I have scheduled c-sections, so they have no bearing on the progress of my pregnancy. I was just thinking about it after SO and I did the deed last night and I got on CM- lol

I think Cynthe explained it best.  A penis during sex is still better, and your body knows what to do with it, rather than a gloved hand (which really are NOT sterile) in a bacteria laden doctors office or hospital.  Also, Internal exams also are pointless. 

I am actually more curious about the statement you made above in red.....Can you explain more what you mean by that. 

Amy
Mom to Aria (4), Miles (2) and Liviana (17 months)
& a HUGE suprise due early 2010

Signature copy small3 copy

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll18/SG_Styles/PM_admin_black.gif

sissychristi
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 1:09 PM

Even though the hand is gloved during a vaginal exam, the doctor's unvloved hands still pick up the glove from the outside of it while putting it on, leaving those germs on the outside of the glove too.

Second, as strange as this may sound, a penis is actually one of the cleanest parts of the male body and has the least amount of infectious bacteria.

Third, the small amount of bacteria that may be on the penis during sex is killed by semen. Semen actually has antibaterial properties, making it an ideal way to help avoid infections. Keep in mind that it will only kill minor bacteria introduced by the penis, but not bacteria introduced by vaginal exams. So having sex after a vaginal exam is not going to reduce the infection risk of the exam.

Infection is not the only reason not to have a vaginal exam. During each exam, there is a risk of rupturing the membranes and breaking the bag of waters. This is because they are rubbing on your cervix. This is not a serious risk during sex because the penis should not be prodding into the cervix.

pregnant bellyJoin us in the Pregnancy Group -

sissychristi, Pregnancy Group Mod

First_One_8_18
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 2:14 PM

Quoting happySAHMmomof2:

Quoting First_One_8_18:

I think Cynthe explained it best.  A penis during sex is still better, and your body knows what to do with it, rather than a gloved hand (which really are NOT sterile) in a bacteria laden doctors office or hospital.  Also, Internal exams also are pointless. 

I am actually more curious about the statement you made above in red.....Can you explain more what you mean by that. 

I have a pretty severe case of a concave pelvis, which makes my birth canal extremely small. I spend about two months in pre-labor, with contractions every 15 minutes or so because the baby is trying to drop, but my body won't let it. There just isn't room. I went to almost 42 weeks with DS and I didn't even dialate to 1. He still hadn't dropped into my pelvix and I was still having ctx every couple minutes. It's a trait that runs in my family, so my mom was almost a month past her due date with me before they induced her. She spend 3 1/2 days in labor and didn't progress past a 6 before they gave her a c-section.

Pregnancy ticker

KT022
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 2:56 PM

I just make sure my dh washes his penis before he gets any "action"

Free Icons Free Icons
Parenting
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)