Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

too much amniotic fluid....anyone have this? piog

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:19 AM
  • 16 Replies

so i had an ultrasound done on wednesday & was told by the ultrasound tech. that i had too much amniotic fluid. she said it was from drinking too much sugary stuff & to cut back. she also said that it wouldn't hurt the baby.

today my dr. said i needed to cut back on the sugary drinks because having too much fluid could lead to c-section.

so i started trying to find info on this and it seems dangerous from what i have read and i can't find anything about sugar intake increasing or decreasing the fluid. anyone have any info or been through this, i would love to hear your story! please and thank you!

by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dragonflie
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:40 AM

That is interesting.  I was told that I had little more fluid then they would like to see at my last ultrasound but didn't say anymore about it.  I don't drink sugary things, my fluid intake during the day is usually water, tea with no sugar and milk.  Here is a bump because I have no clue and interested to see what others have to say.

Life is short, break the rules, forgive quickly,

Kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably,

And never regret anything that made you smile

Stop by and sign my guess book, I finally figured out how to add it to my homepage!

Twinboysmom22
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:42 AM

My SIL had this with her 2nd baby, I was with her when they told her and they never said why it was like that.  They made an appointment the next week to take some out of her.  And they did that every month (i believe, could have been every 2 weeks) till she gave birth.  She was already going to do a c-section so I don't know if she wasn't if that would have caused her to have one or not.

ashley1213
by Bronze Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:49 AM

I had this with my daughter. I had an ultrasound done at 35 wks bc was meauring waaay too big. My doctor guess was that my GD test was a false negative (since it runs in my family, and I had all the textbook symptoms). He never ever said anything about it being casued from sugary drinks. Since GD runs in my family, I ate very healthy during my enitre pregnancy and literally all I drank was water (and 1% milk for breakfast).

marsmom86
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:50 AM

I have a two year old and I am in my 37 week of pregnancy and in both cases I have been told I had too much amniotic fluid in my stomach. I was never told about cutting back on sugary things or altering my diet, the doctors just constantly montired my baby's growth and development. So I am not sure about the sugar being the cause of your extra fluid.  I devlivered my first son vaginally and plan to deliver my second the same way. My two year old is a healthy and extremely intelligent little boy so I think as long as the fluid around your baby you should be fine. If you have any more questions feel free to ask.  I do have a doctor's appointment today and I will ask him and let you know what he says.

jess311
by Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 8:34 PM

i know my dr. or tech didn't seem to know much about it because they are just acting like its all fine, and after researching it i don't feel that it is and i can't find anything stating about sugar intake being a factor and i was already tested for diabetes. right now i am feeling confused and irritated about the situation. hopefully i can get it all figured out.

Quoting dragonflie:

That is interesting.  I was told that I had little more fluid then they would like to see at my last ultrasound but didn't say anymore about it.  I don't drink sugary things, my fluid intake during the day is usually water, tea with no sugar and milk.  Here is a bump because I have no clue and interested to see what others have to say.

jess311
by Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 8:36 PM

the tech asked me if i had diabetes, and i told her that i was tested one week prior and my results were fine. so then she asked me what types of things i am drinking throughout the day and i told her a little bit of everything, water, milk, caffeine free drinks and juice. she said no more pop or juice at all because the sugary fluid was what was causing my extra fluid, i can't find anything on the web that says anything like that so i am really confused!

Quoting ashley1213:

I had this with my daughter. I had an ultrasound done at 35 wks bc was meauring waaay too big. My doctor guess was that my GD test was a false negative (since it runs in my family, and I had all the textbook symptoms). He never ever said anything about it being casued from sugary drinks. Since GD runs in my family, I ate very healthy during my enitre pregnancy and literally all I drank was water (and 1% milk for breakfast).

jess311
by Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 8:37 PM

thank you, that is very nice of you..i would love another opinion

Quoting marsmom86:

I have a two year old and I am in my 37 week of pregnancy and in both cases I have been told I had too much amniotic fluid in my stomach. I was never told about cutting back on sugary things or altering my diet, the doctors just constantly montired my baby's growth and development. So I am not sure about the sugar being the cause of your extra fluid.  I devlivered my first son vaginally and plan to deliver my second the same way. My two year old is a healthy and extremely intelligent little boy so I think as long as the fluid around your baby you should be fine. If you have any more questions feel free to ask.  I do have a doctor's appointment today and I will ask him and let you know what he says.

Ashley7805
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 9:00 PM

thats weird, i have never heard of that ever... i have heard before that it might be because the baby isnt swallowing enough of it or something so it keeps accumulating. im not sure. i dont think its anything to lead to a c-section though, never heard of that either. good luck  i hope everything turns out ok!

Chrissy9479
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 9:49 PM

im not a dr or anything but just my common sense is asking, how would sugary drinks make you have more fluid???? i don't get it!! and i've never heard that before.... so yeah im confused. if you find out or if anyone finds out more let me know because I'm curious....

2009mami2alex
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 9:53 PM

not to worry you, just honest, but in one of my pre med classes we learned it CAN be caused [ not every case, but its a sympton] by a baby thats kidneys arent functioning properly [therefore, causing it to accumulate, but the baby isnt pasing it through and breaking it down properly]

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)