Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

PLEASE HELP ME...

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:35 AM
  • 11 Replies

I just got a call last night from my OB stating that my levels for my DOWNS screening came back elevated. Now I have 2 go 2 see a genetic counselor on Thurs. so I can talk about a level 2 ultra sound and amnio. I know these results sometimes come out positive and they're not. Has this happened 2 anyone else??? Did you also have 2 seek genetic counseling? Please help ease my mind if possible. It's my baby and I will love it either way, I just want 2 be prepared.

by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Nickie76
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:49 AM
MikeysMom51108
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:51 AM

I didn't have that screening with my son, and I don't intend to have it done with this one either. I've heard a lot about false positives. Good luck though.

ambersmommy730
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:54 AM

Don't freak out until you know for sure. My OB told me when I had this test (with both pregnancies) that it gives alot of false positives. It doesn't mean that there is anything wrong with your LO. Hang in there, Mama!

hugs 

CafeMom Tickersits a boyEthan- Due January 15, 2010

Cynthje
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:56 AM

Technically your baby didn't test positive for anything, this test gives you the chance of your baby having it and it is not reliable at all. I don't understand why this test is even still being offered to moms.

Throughout the world, there exists a group of women who feel mightily drawn to giving care to women in childbirth. At the same time maternal and independent, responsive to a mother's needs, yet accepting full responsibility as her attendant; such women are natural midwives. Without the presence and acceptance of the midwife, obstetrics becomes aggressive, technical, and inhuman.

Professor G.J. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam

amyershoney
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:57 AM

i bet  its nothing hun  and even if it is  your baby still a girft from god  so oyu are blessed either way....

stellarluna
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:58 AM

this has happened to all four people I know that had the screening and seems to happen here often too.... the test is obviously not very reliable, and I think you should take this "elevated" result with a grain of salt. All the best to you... I hope you get some more clear and accurate answers.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

stellarluna
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:59 AM

I agree, it's really not a good test! Most of the tests we get are pretty inaccurate and pointless... which is why I opt out of them all but the ultrasound.

Quoting Cynthje:

Technically your baby didn't test positive for anything, this test gives you the chance of your baby having it and it is not reliable at all. I don't understand why this test is even still being offered to moms.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

rileysmomma17
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 12:19 PM

I had this happen to me with my first pregnancy. They called me and told me that my daughter had like a 1 in 45 chance that she could be born with down syndrome. She said I strongly suggest that you go through genetc counseling or terminate your pregnancy. I couldnt bieleve thats what she said! I chose not to do ethier because first off I wouldnt care if my baby had down syndrome and i wouldnt abort. And i didnt want to go through all the genetic counseling because i wouldnt care if she had down syndrome. She would still be my baby no matter what! Good thing i didnt do ethier because she is PERFECT! She is the healthiest toddler ive ever seen.

Here is my beautiful girl :]

mrs_patterson
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 1:10 PM

I agree with the pp's... those tests are EXTREMELY unreliable and have a really high rate of giving false positives, which is why I opted NOT to take them. I won't care if my baby is born with downs syndrome, but I didn't want to stress out during my pregnancy worrying about whether he was or wasn't, so I made the decision to just cross that bridge when I came to it, and if he comes out with ds, then I'll deal with it... but to me, there was no sense in stressing about it if I got a positive on the test, when in reality, there's nothing wrong with my baby.
Take it with a grain of salt, I'd say, and don't let anyone convince you otherwise, until your baby is born and you see for yourself.

marynash88
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 1:14 PM

I was told this with my first pregnancy. My DD had a 1:40 chance of having Downs and I went in to the level 3 ultrasound. They couldnt find anything but they tried to get me to do an amnio. There is a slight risk of miscarriage from the amnio and I didnt feel like it was worth it. My DD is a happy healthy 17 month old with no issues. This pregnancy I dont plan on getting that test done. All it did was cause me anxiety for months afterwards. You will be ok mama :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)