Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

contractions for 3+ weeks

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:40 AM
  • 4 Replies

I have been having contractions for 3 weeks now. Nov 15 I woke up around 1130pm with back pain and contractions every 10 mins. I went to the bathroom, drank 2 glasses of water and laid on my left side for about an hour. Still no relief so I called my doctor. She sent me in and they hooked me up to the monitor. They loaded me up with fluids and that eased the contractions. 

About a week later I was having my regular doctor appointment and she asked how the contractions were going. They still had not stopped and I was still having them every few mins. She hooked me up to a monitor in the office and the contractions were now 5 mins apart and just as bad. Apparently I have gotten use to working around the pain. So I was sent back into the hospital for medicine to stop the contractions. They sent me home with a perscription that I was to take 1 pill every 6 hours. 

Nov 28 contractions back again worse then before. I went to the bathroom 4 times. Drank close to a 1/2 gal of water. Took a shower and waited and timed my contractions again. This time 4 mins apart lasting over a min each time. Called the doctor again and she increased the meds to 2 pills every 4 hours.

I am only 34 weeks but seriously how much more of this can I take? This is my second pregnancy and I was 2 weeks early with my first. Is it good to be on that much medication during pregnancy? Am I wrong to want this baby out now? 

by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
apoe
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 1:54 PM

i started having contractions at 24 weeks so they put me in the hospital to stop them. i went home on nefidipine every 6 hours and weekly shots.  went home on bed rest. they also gave me betamethsone shot when i was in the hospital at 26 weeks. i'm know 30 weeks and begging the dr to let me have him. i know the chances of being in the nicu but i've be there done that with my last one for 75 days. i've been told i need to be 32 weeks before they will wont stop the contractions anymore and let me have him.

wsv777
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 1:58 PM

I have had that issue with this baby I was on meds to stop the contraction sometimes it didn't work and I had to go into the hospital. It is awful but worth it for your babies well being to just tough it out. I am at the end now but mine started at 19 weeks so I've been suffereing for quite awhile wishing it would just be over. Hang in there. 

stellarluna
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 2:04 PM

as much as you might want it to be over now, seeing your little baby hooked up to tubes and machines and not being able to take them home with you right away is far worse.  I had to watch my sister do it for 5 weeks and she had her dd at 31 weeks.  There's nothing they could do about labor because her water broke.  I would do all you could to keep baby baking as long as you possibly can!  All the best to you!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

AMS622
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 4:58 PM

I know the risks involved with having her early, I just am tired of being tired on the meds and not being able to sleep. but on top of everything else I think I'm losing my mucus plug. I have read that it is possible to lose it slowly and that would be the only thing that makes sense. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)