Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

How do you know when you should go to the hospital for dehydration?

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 2:28 PM
  • 12 Replies

I've got some kind of stomach flu and was up from 3-6 vomiting every 15-30 minutes. I have not thrown up since, but I have very watery diahreah and I've only been able to drink about one glass of water. Everytime I drink a few drinks a few minutes later I have to poop again.  I keep trying to drink but it just is so painful in my stomach. I have a real dry mouth and chapped lips. I just really don't want to go to the e.r. Especially I don't want to go and have them tell me I'm not dehydrated and have to pay that huge bill and make my husband miss class tonight (he isn't allowed to miss classes, he's in an apprenticeship and has to go before his union board if he misses even ONE class)

I really just don't know what to do and need advice.

in lovetoddler boystork

We're beating the odd's. Married and loving it! July 5, 2008
I love being his mommy! Mason- born March 13, 2008

Expecting our next blessing- May 30, 2010

by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 2:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
meam4444
by Emerald Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 2:32 PM

you could call your doctor and ask.  try pop to help get some hydration in you...that is what only worked with me once before..sure it isnt healthy but it help settle my tummy down.  can you make an appt with your doc and they can check your hydration level there?  then at least you wont have a huge ER bill?

rachelmm007
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 2:33 PM

being severely dehydrated can be extremely dangerous while prego...if you have not gone pee in the last 12 hrs, or are getting lethargic go to a hospital immediately...but based on your symptoms, not being able to drink because of pain i would go in for an iv...it wont hurt anything... better safe than sorry! good luck i hope you feel better soon!

meam4444
by Emerald Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 2:34 PM

how long have you had the flu for too?  ive known alot of preggers ppl to get the flu while pregnant and they didnt have to go in...they just waited for it to pass as it was just a 24 hour flu...i would call your doctor and ask what they think.  hope you feel better!!!

Mishel73
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 2:35 PM

I know when I was dehydrated with my last pregnancy, I went into preterm labor.  Not saying that would happen to you, but just be aware if you have cramping, contractions, etc.  I would just call your Dr. and see what they recommend.  Try some warm 7-up or ginger ale maybe?  Suck on ice cubes?  Hope you feel better!!!

amy31308
by Ashlee on Dec. 1, 2009 at 2:36 PM

I've only had it since midnight and I am already starting to feel better (not vomitting anymore) But I still have pretty bad diahreah.. I am still urinating. So I haven't even had the flu for 24 hours.. I just know it can be bad during pregnancy and that makes me nervous.  I know sometimes  some pregnant women can be "over" concerned and worry about every little thing and I don't want to do that thats why I am asking for opinions.

in lovetoddler boystork

We're beating the odd's. Married and loving it! July 5, 2008
I love being his mommy! Mason- born March 13, 2008

Expecting our next blessing- May 30, 2010

marinewife0311
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 2:37 PM

if your not showing any sever signs of dehydration then wait it out. as long as you can get a table soon down ever half hour till you feel better then that is fine. it take a long time to dehydrate when your an adult preggers or not. everyone gets sick it just sucks more when your preggers. if your that worried call your dr but i would wait it out based on what you have said here.

rockinmomto2
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 2:38 PM

With my last pregnancy, I was dehydrated twice. Both times I was admitted to L&D and I had to have IVs for hours just to get me back to normal. If you can't keep anything in or down, you need to go to the hospital. 

jMama078
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 2:38 PM

My thoughts as well...

Quoting rachelmm007:

being severely dehydrated can be extremely dangerous while prego...if you have not gone pee in the last 12 hrs, or are getting lethargic go to a hospital immediately...but based on your symptoms, not being able to drink because of pain i would go in for an iv...it wont hurt anything... better safe than sorry! good luck i hope you feel better soon

Megara
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 4:22 PM

Try ice popsicles to get some fluid in you...the Pedialyte kind or any juice or water-based popsicle.  The darker your pee is, the more dehydrated you are.  Dark yellow means you need more fluids.  Dark yellow/brownish means you are starting to get dehydrated.  Brown pee is bad--you would need an IV if you can't keep anything down.

Mrs.mommywhite3
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 6:48 PM

I had the flu and the doc told me that id I still had the runs and throwing up after 24 hours I needed to go get the IV. She said to drink things like poweraid or 7up and poweraid mixed, she said to get atleast 200 calories a day from drinking. I thankfully stopped after 18 hours so I never went in, but they really expressed that anything over 24 hours I need to go in.

sammy.gif picture by SignatureObsession

Lilypie - (KJ4q)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)