Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Measuring 39 weeks at 35 weeks...

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 2:42 PM
  • 22 Replies

So I went to the doctor yesterday and she measured my uterus and it measured 39 weeks when i'm 35 weeks today.  She said baby is big! Does this mean that I am going to deliver early or what? I don't want a huge baby for fear that I will have to have a c-section.

by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 2:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Phoenix_sp
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 2:44 PM

One measurement isnt very accutate.  If you continue to measure large they may want to do an ultrasound to gage how big your baby is (which also isnt very accurate).

Most likely its just how the baby was laying but it could also be that you have lots of extra fluid or a big baby.

stefro87
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 2:47 PM

i have a similar question im 33 wks but measureing 30 is that bad

happySAHMmomof2
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 2:56 PM

Fundal height measurements, just like U/S measurments are not accurate.  "Measuring Big" doesn't mean you have a big baby. 

Honestly...you are 35 weeks and I would bet all the money I have your doctor is trying to set you up for an induction/c-section so you don't interfere with her holiday plans.  I think there is a lot of "Oh no, your baby is 'big', we better schedule an induction/c-section about this time of year. 

Amy
Mom to Aria (4), Miles (2) and Liviana (17 months)
& a HUGE suprise due early 2010

Signature copy small3 copy

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll18/SG_Styles/PM_admin_black.gif

stefro87
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 2:57 PM

what about uh oh your baby is small

Quoting happySAHMmomof2:

Fundal height measurements, just like U/S measurments are not accurate.  "Measuring Big" doesn't mean you have a big baby. 

Honestly...you are 35 weeks and I would bet all the money I have your doctor is trying to set you up for an induction/c-section so you don't interfere with her holiday plans.  I think there is a lot of "Oh no, your baby is 'big', we better schedule an induction/c-section about this time of year. 

happySAHMmomof2
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:05 PM

Your fundal height does not mean your baby is small.  I have measured slightly behind with all of my kids.  It is because I am tall and the way the babies stretch out or take position. 

The point where you have to be concerned is if you are 1 week behind one week, 3 the next, than 4, etc.   If it is progressive.  Consistently measuring behind or having one week that you measure behind is not a reason in and of itself to be concerned. 

Quoting stefro87:

Quoting happySAHMmomof2:

Amy

stefro87
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:16 PM

well the first time they told me i was behind was with an u/s he said i was ten days behind and then yesterday at the doc he measured with that tape and i was 30 cm and im 33 wks

Quoting happySAHMmomof2:

Your fundal height does not mean your baby is small.  I have measured slightly behind with all of my kids.  It is because I am tall and the way the babies stretch out or take position. 

The point where you have to be concerned is if you are 1 week behind one week, 3 the next, than 4, etc.   If it is progressive.  Consistently measuring behind or having one week that you measure behind is not a reason in and of itself to be concerned. 

Quoting stefro87:

Quoting happySAHMmomof2:

ProudMom093083
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:19 PM

One measurement is not very accurate.  In fact, LOTS of doctors will even do an ultrasound ( sometimes even 4-d ) in the last trimester and estimate that the baby is large and want to deliver early-then a lot of these babies are born at an average birth weight, like 7 lbs.  Having a large baby does not always necessitate a C-section.  If your doctor wants to induce your labor or if you go into labor "early", try to roll with the punches.  I had a great induction experience and was able to avoid a C-section, my son was born 9 days late and weighed 9 lbs 8 oz and was 22 inches long.  You just never know.

Emily and Dwane 9-22-07   Miles 11-19-08

The Kind of Mother I Am

Formula-feeding, disposable-diapering, babyproofing, pro-epidural, SIDS-awareness-promoting, non-co-sleeping, vaccinating stay at home mom!

I am 26 and currently working to earn my birth doula certification.  I love to help other moms.

I love my husband.  I love my son.  They are the greatest blessings in my life.

happySAHMmomof2
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:30 PM

U/S measurements are actually more inaccurate than fundal height, especially the further along in pregnancy.  In addition, 10 days is the normal range for inaccuracy and to be expected. 

If they were concerned about an IUGR situation they would be acting on it.  Is this your first?  How are you "built" so to speak (if that is not too personaly). 

Quoting stefro87:

well the first time they told me i was behind was with an u/s he said i was ten days behind and then yesterday at the doc he measured with that tape and i was 30 cm and im 33 wks

Quoting happySAHMmomof2:

Quoting stefro87:

Quoting happySAHMmomof2:

Amy

NiChOlE06
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:32 PM

at 36 weeks i measured 45 weeks hahahahah. it doesn't mean you'll go early i was induced 2 weeks early and had a 9 lb 4 oz baby! at two weeks early. the baby might just be big its okay i wouldn't worry!

Mamaz
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:34 PM

it means very little this far along. your uterus is measuring on the large size. so it may be because theh baby is big. it may just be your uterus and there is a 6 pound baby in there. only delivery will tell. no it doesn;t mean the baby will come any sooner

Photobucket

(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste
(='.'=) bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him gain world domination

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)