Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

measuring big?

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:58 PM
  • 16 Replies

so my doctor said i am measuring  33weeks and i am 32 weeks and 2 days she its not to bad is anyone else measuring big is this a bad thing>?

by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
doulala
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 5:13 PM

I measured ahead sometimes with my pregnancies.    It seemed to depend on baby's position or who was doing the measuring.   (Different people got different numbers.)   And it can vary depending on it they do it over your clothes or where they start measuring...   other things might affect it, too, like a growth spurt. 

(One centimeter is not too significant.)

The knowledge of how to give birth without outside intervention lies deep within each woman. Successful childbirth depends on an acceptance of the process. ~Suzanne Arms

Birth is not an emergency. It is simply an emergence.” - Jeannine Parvati Baker

Tiffaney2004
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 5:17 PM

I'm actually having the opposite happen. I am measuring slightly small. But I hear about this all the time. It is normal and baby is fine. Someone probably either measured wrong or was off by a few cm.

StarMommy06
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 5:33 PM

For my last 2 appointments I have been measuring about 5 cm too big. I had an ultrasound and the baby was normal size, and head down. My fluid looked to be a normal amount. The dr. wasnt worried, hes just going to keep an eye on it.

toolmommy
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 5:36 PM

I have been measuring 2cm ahead since 20 weeks and the ultrasounds show my baby is between the 75th and 85th percentile. I wouldn't even give it any thought except my last baby was 9lbs 2oz, so I think this one will be 9lbs or so, too. I measured 2 weeks ahead on ultrasound and in fundal height with my last, too. I wouldn't worry about it at all!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

mustangharms
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 5:38 PM

At my last appointment, I was measuring about 2 weeks big, but she didn't seem conscerned and the baby is breech which I heard can mean you measure bigger. At my ultrasound everything was exactly the right size, so I am trying not to worry about it. Although I still have the dreams about having a giant baby...lol

CafeMom Tickers
lelandsmommy06
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 7:38 PM

thank you ladies makes me feel alot better..when do they tell if the baby is head down? and is the only way to tell by giving ultrasound? cuz i am not sure i m getting another ultrasound  i have only had 1 is that normal to?

marriedmomma3
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 7:40 PM

fundal height varies from baby position, and the person doing it.  everyone does it differently.  One time i had 3 drs do it simultanirously (2 were students) and they all got different measurements.  It turns out the one of the students had it more precise than the ob, because when she redid it she got what he got.  dont worry.  I am meausing almost 3 weeks early... 

pregnancy

baby

babies
mnt_2_b_mommy
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 8:09 PM

The doctor can tell the position of the baby by pressing on your abdomen. Also, it is perfectly normal to measure 2 weeks ahead or behind. Most doctors won't even comment on it unless you measure more than 3-4 cm ahead or behind, twice in a row. I measured 4 weeks ahead at my last appt and my doctor just charted it and said we'll check again next time. with my son, I measured 4 weeks behind 2 appts in a row so then I had an ultrasound and found out the baby actually was 4 weeks behind in growth. a one time measurement just doesn't tell them enough, you know?

UPDATE: Had my 29 week appt yesterday and am back to measuring right on track.

Quoting lelandsmommy06:

thank you ladies makes me feel alot better..when do they tell if the baby is head down? and is the only way to tell by giving ultrasound? cuz i am not sure i m getting another ultrasound  i have only had 1 is that normal to?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
Sweetestgirl79
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 8:11 PM

the baby could just be big

not a bad thing at all im sure your dr would have said something if it was

dd#1 i measured 1 week ahead..she was born at 39 weeks 5 days by induction and was 9pds 4 oz ...

dd#2 was born 39 weeks 5 days and she was 9pds 12.3 pounds i measured 2 weeks ahead...

this baby well i dont know yet im just 7 weeks due july 18th 2010

DO YOU WANT TO BE A FIT MOMMY?    if you have just had a baby, ttc,want to maintain your weight, or you are pregnant and want to have a healthy pregnancy come join us and have fun, gain support and share tips and lose that weight or maintain your weight ...WE ARE HERE FOR YOU!
http://www.cafemom.com/group/96540
http://www.cafemom.com/group/TheFitMamaClub

jennparker252
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:19 PM

i started week 35 yesterday..i had an apt with my midwife today and i am measuring 36 weeks...but she said it could be a full bladder, or water retention..it could be a number of different things:)

How`s my pregnancy doing?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)