Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Had a emergency doctors appointment today! and weigh gain???

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 4:48 PM
  • 8 Replies

So I have been feeling REALLY crappy the past week and thought I was having contractions. And I have been cramping so I called the doc and she said that my cervix was closed tightly which is great. She wanted to put me on the monitor to see if I had any activity in my uterus. After I was done and she read it sure enough there was a little bit of irritability which she explained was contractions but braxton hicks. Im already having them at 20 weeks. Anyways she said that I cant drink any more caffeine and for me to drink a bunch of water and to rest. Im glad my cervix was closed but that makes me think that I will go into labor soon.

Is it normal to gain 20 pounds by 20 weeks!!! Im so worried about this. Im scared if I already gained that much then Im going to gain 30 or 40 more and I would just flip if that happened.

by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 4:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
rileysmomma17
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 4:51 PM

You start having BH conctractions when you are like 5 weeks pregnant. You just dont feel them until you are like 20 weeks. I was having them with this one since like 17 weeks. Dont worry about going into labor too soon because of them. My doc told me its great to have them. Dont worry about the weight!!

grapejelly
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 6:27 PM

this is my first pregnancy so I can't offer much adivce, but maybe just eat a balanced diet.  That's all you can do about the weight gain.. Even then you'll probably gain as much as you need to.

And maybe get small amounts of low intensity exercise (like walking)..

CafeMom Tickers
mustangharms
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 6:31 PM

I completely understand about the weight gain. I'm 27 weeks now, and I've gained 20 lbs. It like freaks me out because it is like if I have already gained this much, how much am I going to gain before it is over? Everyone keeps telling me it is fine though because it is all pretty much in my chest and belly, but it still freaks me out a little bit. I'm not sure about the other part though because this is my first and I don't really know anything about that. Sorry.

CafeMom Tickers
ElijahsMom211
by Platinum Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 6:32 PM

I don't think it's bad to gain 20lbs by 20wks.. usually u gain a lot in the first few weeks, thanks to bloating, and can even out or lose weight (due to m/s), and then once you get to a certain point most drs want you to gain 1lb/wk..

I, too, am really worried about gaining too much weight. I go for walks w/my dogs and sometimes during lunch and try to NOT eat too much fast food. I've heard a well balanced & healthy diet can help, but I'm not really one for TOTALLY healthy foods when I'm not pregnant let alone when I am, hehe.

pregnancy
djspacegirl
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 6:33 PM

i wouldn't worry too much about the weight gain unless it happens all at once.  i always end up at the same weight, no matter what i weighed before getting pregnant.  and it's ALOT.  my midwife has never been concerned. 

" src="http://www.pregnology.com/preggoticker120/CCFFFF/003333/My pregnancy/12/24/2009.png" alt="Pregnancy ticker" />Make a pregnancy ticker
callalily417
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 6:38 PM

I read you should gain about 1-3 pounds in the first trimester and about 10 pounds in the second. Then in the third trimester, you should gain about 1 pound a week. That's how they get the 25-35 pounds for your total pregnancy weight. 

I'm at 23 weeks and have gained about 10 pounds. I feel like I've gained a lot but that's just me and I am only 5 feet tall so it makes me look like I gained a lot. =D I walk a lot with my hubby to at least try to get some kind of exercise in.

Just watch what you eat and try to not eat empty calories. I try but it doesn't always work because I really want the junk food. lol good luck.

Pregnancy ticker

Marah2008
by Silver Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 8:50 PM

Quoting grapejelly:

this is my first pregnancy so I can't offer much adivce, but maybe just eat a balanced diet.  That's all you can do about the weight gain.. Even then you'll probably gain as much as you need to.

This is also my first pregnancy. I would walk but with the contractions Im having she told me to not do anything like that. Just to rest as much as possible. I really wouldnt be worried about the contractions but I am cramping with them so thats why I was concerned.

sparklebug86
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 9:05 PM

BH are totally normal. Some women are bothered and some arent but it doesnt mean you will go into early labor. Def. take it easy with the caffeine and relax though :)

Quoting Marah2008:

Quoting grapejelly:

This is also my first pregnancy. I would walk but with the contractions Im having she told me to not do anything like that. Just to rest as much as possible. I really wouldnt be worried about the contractions but I am cramping with them so thats why I was concerned.

CafeMom Tickers
Gender Prediction
Get your own gender prediction!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)