Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

who has tried castor oil??

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 4:51 PM
  • 12 Replies

i have read on the internet that yes is causes bad cramps,diahrea and maybe even dehydration.....but some women have been relaly lucky with it and have gone into labor...just wondering what a 38 week prgo woman would do if you wanted your body to go into laboron its own without having to be induced wtih picton???

my doc will induce me next week when i am 39 weeks if i have not gone into labor by then...i just wondering if i could give it a try and see if that helps my bdy go into labor and bring on the contractins so i dont have to ahve picton or just wait

by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 4:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bennett121
by Bronze Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 4:53 PM

Aside from all the negative effects of castor oil, consider this, if you do that, and you DO go into labor early (that's if you are damn lucky especially at 38 wks WTF?) Your doctor is gonna be one pissed off S.O.B. when you start pushing and you are spraying SH*T in his face because you took castor oil.  YUCK!

Here are some better ideas:

sex (without a condom) the sperm are suppose to help somehow

walking a lot.

eating pineapple (old wives tale not sure if it's true or not)

rileysmomma17
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 4:55 PM

Quoting Bennett121:

Aside from all the negative effects of castor oil, consider this, if you do that, and you DO go into labor early (that's if you are damn lucky especially at 38 wks WTF?) Your doctor is gonna be one pissed off S.O.B. when you start pushing and you are spraying SH*T in his face because you took castor oil.  YUCK!

ditto

amy31308
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 5:00 PM

Did you know that castor beans are HIGHLY poisenous if eaten? But (obviously) the oil isn't. For me.. knowing that something could kill me if I ate it.. but I can drink something from it... eh I would never ever do it. You've gone 38 weeks... whats another 2-4 weeks of letting your body try and go on its own? I  was induced however and had a great L&D at 39 weeks 6 days. This baby I do NOT want to be induced though I want my body to just do it on its own.

in lovetoddler boystork

We're beating the odd's. Married and loving it! July 5, 2008
I love being his mommy! Mason- born March 13, 2008

Expecting our next blessing- May 30, 2010

knfisch
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 5:05 PM

I did it and everything was fine. I was 38 weeks when I tried it and had DD 12 hours later. The pooping was done waaay before my water even broke and I was actually very happy with the fact that I didn't poop while pushing, got it all cleared out ahead of time :) I was in labor for 6 hours and the contractions were rather painful but for me it was worth it.

However if you are being induced in a week regardless than you should wait, really whats another week when thats the guarenteed maximum wait time. Trust me the wait will be worth not poo-ing your brains out 4 hours straight lol!

rachbrdl
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 5:11 PM

I tried castor oil with my last pregnancy at 39 weeks and 4 days.  I was already 50% effaced and 3cm dialated but I wasn't having any contractions.  I took 4 tablespoons of castor oil and mixed it with 3 scrambled eggs (made it better...just imagine super greasy eggs) at around 4pm.  I started active labor around 11pm and went to the hospital at 7am.  I gave birth to a completely healthy little girl at 10am.  No cramps or loose stools.  Guess I am one of the lucky ones. 

A month later my best friend tried that same thing at 40 weeks and 3 days and she went into active labor 2 hours later.  Since it was her first child, she was in labor for a bit longer than me.  She was in labor for about 15 hours. 

Hope this helps.  I know a lot of people are against it but to each his own. 

-tanya-
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 5:23 PM

I took it! with my first son (i'm now pregnant with my 2nd). I think I was about 39-40 weeks and showed no signs of labor whatsoever. I drank like half a cup with orange juice. Let me tell you, that was the most traumatic nastiest experience in my 21 years!!! lol. The stuff is disgusting to say the least! What's even worse is that it didn't work for me :'( I didn't even have diarhea or ANYTHING! I still had to be induced at 41 weeks. But, my 2 or 3 of my SILs almost swear by it. So I don't know what to tell you. I personally will never take it again, just because how nasty it is, and because it didn't work for me. Good luck! I did everything there is to do, to go into labor. Walked, even tried to run. Was on my hands and knees washing the floors, tub, etc. My body was completely stubborn. I had nothing going on the day I went to get induced. And my son was 9lbs 21 inches long! with an apgar score of 10! so I know he was ready to come. I really hope it's not the case this time!

Twinboysmom22
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 6:12 PM

I wouldn't suggest it!  Just let it happen naturally! 

knfisch
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 7:39 PM

Quoting rachbrdl:

I tried castor oil with my last pregnancy at 39 weeks and 4 days.  I was already 50% effaced and 3cm dialated but I wasn't having any contractions.  I took 4 tablespoons of castor oil and mixed it with 3 scrambled eggs (made it better...just imagine super greasy eggs) at around 4pm.  I started active labor around 11pm and went to the hospital at 7am.  I gave birth to a completely healthy little girl at 10am.  No cramps or loose stools.  Guess I am one of the lucky ones. 

A month later my best friend tried that same thing at 40 weeks and 3 days and she went into active labor 2 hours later.  Since it was her first child, she was in labor for a bit longer than me.  She was in labor for about 15 hours. 

Hope this helps.  I know a lot of people are against it but to each his own. 

Yup...I'm jealous, wish my experience was as easy as that lol. Even the taking was horrible since I put it in grape juice. Imagine really greasy grape juice lol!

sparklebug86
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 8:34 PM

The pineapple one is supposed to work but you have to eat something like 14 pineapples.....

I personally did evening primrose oil for a week (orally) and I had my son at 38 weeks.

Quoting Bennett121:

Here are some better ideas:

sex (without a condom) the sperm are suppose to help somehow

walking a lot.

eating pineapple (old wives tale not sure if it's true or not)

CafeMom Tickers
Gender Prediction
Get your own gender prediction!
_rexie
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 8:40 PM

I'm going to do the primrose oil this time around.. I ALMOST did that castor oil with my first but I was too afraid it would cause the baby have a bowel movement and NOT progress labor which would be not good what so ever..  I tried walking a TON with my first all it did was cause me more pain because i was so sore from all that walking, and I ate the spicest thing I could make at mongolian bbq (someone told me to try it).. that did not work, and i freaking hate spicy food.. baddddd idea lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)