Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Had a doc appt today ( kinda worried) Anyone have high blood pressure?

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 5:07 PM
  • 11 Replies

So I went in for my check up today and found out that my blood pressure is elevated. I've had high blood pressure in the past and was on meds for it but I weaned myself off of them and cut out salt and quit smoking and I haven't taken any med for it since May and have been fine. Now my doc is concerned that its going back up because of the pregnancy. Instead of 2 weeks she wants me back next week to see what it is then. I'm so worried. Anyone have experience with high blood pressure?

Pregnancy ticker
Make a pregnancy ticker

by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 5:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Tiffaney2004
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 5:10 PM

I had high blood pressure with my 1st pregnancy and ended up having pre-eclampsia from it. When I went into labor I had to be put on special meds so I wouldn't go into a seizure. I had a ton of swelling too. But if they catched it soon enough there are ways to keep it under control. Mine was found too late

bheath01
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 5:24 PM

I had high blood pressure with my 1st 2 pregnancies, with this pregnancy I am 25 weeks and as of now my blood pressure is fine. Dr is still saying I will have problems in the 3rd trimester, which I hope isnt true. I wish you luck and try and take it easy.

funlovinmama82
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 8:31 PM

I had my appointment today too and doc is concerned that my bp is high.  It was 126/84...really???  come on now.  So I have to start  going in twice a week for non stress tests and once a week for nif which is where they check my fluid levels.  So I'll get an ultrasound every week from 32 weeks on.  I am really not too concerned about it because it really doesnt seem that high, and I am uncomfortable and in pain everytime I go in, so I think I'll be fine.  The doctor will keep an eye on it, I wouldn't worry too much though.

2009mami2alex
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 8:32 PM

i had it , and was induced immediately... not to be negative, but id be shocked if it didnt turn into tomexia

Mom2Bria
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 8:36 PM

I had an elevated top number...but not the bottom number....They had me coming in more frequently to keep an eye on it....It was always the top number though....I carried her to term with not toxemia no pre-e!!

breastfeedingbaby girlin loveexpecting baby~*~Holly~*~

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
lovebugs_mom
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 8:40 PM

I had elevated BP with my first along with swelling, pretty much throughout my pregnancy. My doctor kept a close eye on me, and it never turned into pre-eclampsia. I ended up being induced at 37 weeks just to make sure.

shortyalicia
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 8:47 PM

I have high blood pressure to begin with, pregnancy or not.  With my first pregnancy, i had major problems with my bp, i was on weekly visits from the beginning, and half way thru I had to start going twice weekly. My high bp caused a lot of problems for me.  I had to be hospitalized several times for it among other problems (morning sickness) but hopefully this time around wont be sooo bad.

prego7386
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 8:49 PM

i did but i also had anxiety issues. i always made them retake my BP at the end of the appointment after i had  been there for a while and then it was normal..maybe try that. GL

AHellen
by on Dec. 2, 2009 at 12:49 PM

Studies show that 90 percent of middle-aged Americans will develop high blood pressure in their lifetime - American Heart Association has launched a new campaign to help kick high blood pressure out of your life and make this stat a thing of the past. Check out this fun new animation and see why you should be an HBP Escapee!

http://www.heart.org/hbp

calebsmom410
by on Dec. 2, 2009 at 4:15 PM

i was put on bedrest with my first pregnancy at 24 weeks for high blood pressure and given a couple meds to take.  We were told if we made it to 28 weeks that would be a blessing but thankfully i was able to control my pressure all the way to 36 weeks.  I was induced then to avoid the risk of going from preeclampsia to full blown eclampsia.  Now i am 24 weeks along with my second and had an appt yesterday.  my top number was elevated but my bottom number was good so i go back in two weeks to recheck again and go from there.  Everyone is different but my personal experience was a good one. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)