Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Just need to vent a little....

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 5:42 PM
  • 7 Replies

Okay, so I recently moved onto a Marine base and I went in to get all the paperwork done yesterday. Well I found out that the hospital on base is at full capacity, so they said I had to go to this other clinic on base. Well when I called them to make an appointment, they are going to make me wait until next Tuesday. Then when I go in next Tuesday, I guess what they are going to do is make me take a pregnancy test (even though I'm 27 weeks pregnant) just so they have a positive test on file. Well then they are going to refer me to an ob/gyn, and they said if all the doctors are full then I'm going to get referred to someone out in town. It is just such a hassel and it sucks that I pretty much have no say in who my doctor is or what they are doing. It is like this better not take forever because I really would like to have a doctor before I give birth. It just seems like such a long process involving way too much running around to different places. Ah, I'm just irritated.

CafeMom Tickers
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 5:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
ElijahsMom211
by Platinum Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 5:58 PM

I'm sorry they are screwing w/you! I hope things get better.

pregnancy
millermom07
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 6:01 PM

Do you have Tricare?  If so, then if the base doctors are at full capacity and you need to go elsewhere, you *should* be able to find one on your own.  I'm only about 15-20 mins from Ft. Lee (near Richmond, VA) and I could either go to the base, or find a civilian doctor to use.  I chose civilian just because I've heard so many "horror" stories about base doctors.  Again, if you have Tricare, call them and find out all your options.  Good luck!!!

S@R@H

playing soccer girl  girl on a swing  ice cream      

Skyler (11)              Ashley (9)               Dalton (8)     

tjacques1218
by on Dec. 2, 2009 at 1:48 PM

That sucks.. I'm on a base in NC, and they don't even deal w/pregnancies on base. They automatically refer you to a nearby hospital. Hope it all works out. I know how aggravating it can be.

sissychristi
by on Dec. 2, 2009 at 1:53 PM

I have never heard of military hospitals being able to handle pregnancy well. I have heard horror stories about the way they handle births. It is also my undertanding that it is nearly impossible to refuse procedures in military hospitals.

I would see if you can find a civilian doctor before jumping through all their hoops just to get sub-standard care.

Good luck!

pregnant bellyJoin us in the Pregnancy Group -

sissychristi, Pregnancy Group Mod

littleone4
by on Dec. 2, 2009 at 2:10 PM

I agree.  I heard so many horror stories about military hospitals and birth.  If you have tricare, you can find a civilian doctor.  Tricare can even refer some to you that are in your area.  They referred me to a great doctor about 5 minutes from me.  It's a little irritating in the beginning because you have to wait for referrals and what not but once you get that, you should be fine and be able to deal with your doctor and not have to go through the military.  Also, if you don't like one they referred you can switch your doctor without much problem. Hope it all gets worked out soon!<3

flyfree55
by on Dec. 2, 2009 at 2:40 PM

this happened to my cuz. im so sorry this cant be fun and its made so much worse because your pregnant. i hope it all gets worked out soon

millermom07
by on Dec. 2, 2009 at 5:04 PM

I totally agree with you on this part.  It sucks waiting on the referrals.  I had to change my primary care provider (no one was even answering the phone at the doctor's office for several days in a row) because I had to have my primary "confirm" my pregnancy before Tricare would even allow me to choose an OB to see.  Luckily, I found a new primary that has walk-in appointments and I was able to get the confirmation in one day and choose my OB.  Of course, I initially ended up changing OBs because the first one tells me they do NOT accept new patients after I had already called and been told that they do!!!  Gotta love all the running around just to get good prenatal care!!!! lol

Quoting littleone4:

I agree.  I heard so many horror stories about military hospitals and birth.  If you have tricare, you can find a civilian doctor.  Tricare can even refer some to you that are in your area.  They referred me to a great doctor about 5 minutes from me.  It's a little irritating in the beginning because you have to wait for referrals and what not but once you get that, you should be fine and be able to deal with your doctor and not have to go through the military.  Also, if you don't like one they referred you can switch your doctor without much problem. Hope it all gets worked out soon!<3

S@R@H

playing soccer girl  girl on a swing  ice cream      

Skyler (11)              Ashley (9)               Dalton (8)     

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)