Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

pih ?

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 6:02 PM
  • 5 Replies

so i went to my doctors appointment....he didnt check me :( but he told me he was giving me the pih blood test...so he said it was for my high blood pressure....what happens if it comes back positive? who has had this done before?

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 6:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
MikeysMom51108
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 6:06 PM

If I remember correctly, they are testing you for preeclampsia. If the test is positive, you have it. If not, you don't.

I had PIH with my son, but it never turned into preeclampsia. I remember they did a blood test, but I can't remember for sure what they were testing exactly, but, like I said, I think it's for preeclampsia.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to be diagnosed with PIH again this time. At my first appt. my blood pressure was already slightly high. Are you on any medication for it? I had to be on some kind of bp meds, which actually helped regulate it. I was on bed rest for a week, but that was it.

krysta33
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 6:09 PM

im not on any meds because my blood pressure is usually so regular but the last 3 weeks its gone from 110's to 140's...im due in 11 days so im hoping it will all be fine but this pregnancy has been one thing after another!...do you know if they induce for pre-e?

MikeysMom51108
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 6:13 PM

140's really isn't too bad. I was 160/90 when she finally decided to put me on medication. At least you're close to the end of your pregnancy. I think I was around 30 weeks when I was diagnosed.

Sometimes they will induce for it. It just depends on how bad it is. But, just because you have PIH doesn't mean you have pre-e, so I wouldn't really stress about it. Have they found any proteins in your urine? That's another sign of pre-e. What about swelling? Are you swelling really badly, particularly in your face and hands?

DBbaby
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 6:15 PM

If your bp gets too high they might induce so that they can get it to come back down.

krysta33
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 6:17 PM

yeah ive had protein in my urine fore about 2 months now and as i type this my hands are swollen and my face around my mouth is really puffy in the am...im guessing thats why he did the test...yes thankfully im close to the end...i cant wait to get her out of me!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)