Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

benign tumor?

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 7:18 PM
  • 10 Replies

I had an OB appt today and she informed me that, based on my U/S results, I have a benign tumor... on my tube I believe she said.  She said it's really tiny and shouldn't be much of an issue but she's seen cases where they've grown quite large and had to be surgically removed.  However, when I had the U/S last week, the U/S tech showed me the "tumor" (she had some other name for it that I can't recall) and said it was what fed the baby until the placenta developed and seemed to feel it was totally normal... so now I'm confused.  Has anyone had this?  Is it dangerous to me or the baby?

Thanks!
NordicAngel

CafeMom Tickers
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 7:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
2009mami2alex
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 7:21 PM

just curious.... how do they know ts benign by just a ultrasound??? i always thought any tumor HAD to be biopsied to know for sure if its benign or not

stefro87
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 7:22 PM

thats what i thought to

Quoting 2009mami2alex:

just curious.... how do they know ts benign by just a ultrasound??? i always thought any tumor HAD to be biopsied to know for sure if its benign or not

luvbeingmama
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 7:24 PM

The thing the u/s tech was talking about is called a yolk sac. Β its right by the baby....so a tumor on your tube would be off to the side of the baby not in your uterus.

NordicAngel
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 7:29 PM

Good point... I don't know.  My OB didn't seem the least bit concerned, but I'm kind of freaking out now. :(

CafeMom Tickers
Bennett121
by Bronze Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 7:33 PM

Most likely she was talking about a corpus luteum cyst

Corpus luteum cysts form after an egg is released from the follicle, which then releases the hormones progesterone and estrogen that prepare the body for pregnancy. If no pregnancy occurs, the corpus luteum will most likely break down and disappear on its own.

EDIT to add:

If pregnancy does occur with a corpus luteum cyst in existence, the pregnancy will most likely not be prevented or impeded in any way. In fact, certain fertility drugs that induce ovulation actually increase the appearance of corpus luteum cysts.

mnt_2_b_mommy
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 7:34 PM

Do you mean a fibroid? If so, my friend had one during her last pregnancy, and other than making her look huge, it didn't effect the baby at all.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
ashleywilkerson
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 7:37 PM

Quoting stefro87:

thats what i thought to

Quoting 2009mami2alex:

i always thought that too, but my husband has a small knot on the side of his nose and the doc looked at it and said it was also benign, no testing nothing, i wonder how they can tell with out it too.

Dynamic Glitter Text Generator at TextSpace.net
i am a formula feeding, disposable diapering, gental disipline, vaxing(no swine flu), stay at home mom!
sparklebug86
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 8:27 PM

This post is correct. And thats how your dr knew it was benign. And my dr told me the same thing about the cyst growing too large and having to be removed surgically. My cyst actually bothered me but for many it doesnt but because i was in pain my dr continually watched it just incase until it went away.

Quoting Bennett121:

Corpus luteum cysts form after an egg is released from the follicle, which then releases the hormones progesterone and estrogen that prepare the body for pregnancy. If no pregnancy occurs, the corpus luteum will most likely break down and disappear on its own.

EDIT to add:

If pregnancy does occur with a corpus luteum cyst in existence, the pregnancy will most likely not be prevented or impeded in any way. In fact, certain fertility drugs that induce ovulation actually increase the appearance of corpus luteum cysts.

CafeMom Tickers
Gender Prediction
Get your own gender prediction!
prego7386
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 8:31 PM

the tumor the other 2 posters are talking about is most likely what it is. Doctors sometimes use tumor and cyst interchangeably..for example i have an arachnoid cyst but they discuss my type of cyst tin the brain tumor convention.....tumor is a scary word but it doesn't always mean what it has come to be a symbol of. If they don't seem to concerned then just try to relax about it :)

NordicAngel
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 9:00 PM

Thank you so much!!  That makes complete sense that it's a corpus luteum cyst.  I asked the OB if it goes away on its own and she was very vague in her reply, which is what made me nervous initially.  Any way I would feel the cyst?  She said it's really tiny (whatever that means), but I've been having pains on my right side around the hairline which I had attributed to round ligament pain, but now I'm wondering.  It's kind of a dull ache.   I really wish she had used the word cyst instead of tumor. 

Thanks for your response!
NordicAngel

EDIT to add:

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)