Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

"Real" contractions or not??

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:41 PM
  • 1 Replies

Ok ... I'm not sure if I'm being a worry wart or just stressing over nothing or if I'm legitimately worrying, so please bear with me. ;)
I'm 38 weeks & a couple of days now ... due on Dec. 14th. My last checkup was last Wednesday, and I was 3 cm dilated, but he hadn't dropped any & my dr. said my cervix wasn't thinning much. Ok, I'm fine with that ... at least I'm dilating, right?
Anyway, for the past couple of days I've been having some really strong Braxton Hicks type contractions, along with menstrual type cramps/back pain. Nothing consistent, and nothing that I can't handle (although the Braxton Hicks have gotten MUCH stronger). However ... I've been reading in posts on here & on other websites that "real" contractions may not necessarily be extremely painful, and sometimes they feel more like menstrual cramps. Eek! This is my second pregnancy, and it's been a little over 4 years since I was last pregnant, so I've pretty much been waiting for those HORRIBLE contractions like I had with my first son.
So, my question is ... how true does that sound? For those of you that are on your 2nd pregnancy (or 3rd, 4th, etc.) have you had the "menstrual" contractions versus the really painful ones? I don't want to ignore contractions that might mean something, but at the same time, I don't want to worry over nothing.

Oh, and p.s. - I've been drinking so much water that I feel like I'm going to float away - it hasn't helped! *sigh*

by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
Bennett121
by Bronze Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:32 PM

I think it really just depends on the person. My doctors rule of thumb is, when you either get 5 minutes apart, or contractions are so painful you can't talk through them (whichever comes first) call his hotline and head out to the hospital.

My contractions with ds were 15 min apart all day and felt like really bad menstrual cramps. I went to sleep that night and woke up at 5 min apart and in severe pain. No doubt then! lol!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)