Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Suggestions for sleeping with a bad cold?

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 2:09 AM
  • 8 Replies

I'm 28 weeks and 2 days pregnant. I woke up the other morning with what I thought was just a sore throat. Seems my "sore throat" has turned into an all out cold. I can't sleep because I can't breath when I lay down because my head is so stopped up. Any suggestions? I've taken Tylenol Cold. Which Is what my Dr said would help and It hasn't helped a bit. I've tried closing myself in the bathroom which the shower on for the steam. That didn't help. I've tried warm tea, hoping that would kinda open my chest, I was wrong. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! thanks in advance!

pregnancy calendar

by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 2:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
JeanBee
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 2:11 AM

I normally put some vicks under my nose (above my lip) as well as on my chest and/or back. I also try to sleep with a couple pillows under my head and upper back so that I'm not lying completely vertical. When you're propped up a little bit, it allows your nasal passages to drain a little more easily..

** There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do.

JeanBee
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 2:13 AM

Also, start gargling twice a day (I do it after I brush my teeth) with salt water, and swap a q-tip dipped in salt water in each nostril. The salt water will help kill bacteria in your nose, mouth, and throat, which should help bring back your normal self a little quicker.. (We also do this regularly to help prevent sickness..)

** There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do.

LJM21
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 2:15 AM

Thank you! I'll have to try that. This is my 2nd time with a cold in about 2 months and I'm miserable. I tried Vicks. It works until it wears off, then I'm right back up. I haven't slept much the past 2 days due to that fact that I can't breath. I will definitely try the salt water though.

pregnancy calendar

amber0678
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 7:53 AM

this is excellent, i'm gonna try this too...

i also have a cold right now! it stinks! i sent DH  to the store last nite to get me a vicks inhaler stick...it looks like a stick of chapstick, you just hold it up to each nostril and breathe it in...cleared me up...but then i was up with back pain, sore throat, and heartburn anyways....but at least i could breathe!!!!

Quoting JeanBee:

Also, start gargling twice a day (I do it after I brush my teeth) with salt water, and swap a q-tip dipped in salt water in each nostril. The salt water will help kill bacteria in your nose, mouth, and throat, which should help bring back your normal self a little quicker.. (We also do this regularly to help prevent sickness..)

CafeMom Tickers

angel0185
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:15 AM

if i was u i would go to ur dr and get a rx because it sound like exactly what i have got and all 3 of my step kids they have bronchitus and im pretty sure thats what i got (i get it several times during winter). i woke up sat morning sore throat and runny nose and woke up sun morning and it was all in my chest it feels like a brick sitting on ur chest and i cant hardly breath, i have no energy at all, its all i can do to even get up and go to the bathroom with out feeling like i cant breath or im out of breath by the time i get back. im going to my reg scheduled appt today but im 99% sure its bronchitus. i have also tried the liquid tylenol cold multi-symptom (day and night) its not working for me either. good luck hope u get to feeling better,

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
tristangirl
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:22 AM

check with your doctor mine told me I could use mucinex and it really works. I havent used it since being pregnant but my sil has and she was better a few hours later.

mommy_2_be_2010
by Bronze Member on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:42 AM

i have a cold myself it tastes nasty i'm 34 weeks and it just wont go away i tried oj but that dont help ive tried juice hot baths and sleeping in swaet shirts and socks with long sweat pants when i cough nothing comes up im afraid b/c the baby may not be getting enough oxygen b/c i  can feel it down there where she is when i cough

rosemissy
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:26 AM

I'm in the same boat!!!  Have you tried a Nedi pot?  It seems to help my congestion for a little while.  Hope you start to feel better!!!

Missy

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)