Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

C-Section / V-Back Burnout

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:45 AM
  • 14 Replies

Ever since I had my son 7 years ago I have wanted to do a V-back for my next pregnancy.  However, I do not want ot be induced because I had a lot of problems with induction with my DS.  My Dr. keeps saying that at 36 weeks she will do an ultrasound and determine whether or not a V-back is likely.  She keeps saying "we will look at our options then" etc....  As it gets closer (Due Feb 8th, 32 weeks now) I am jsut getting burned out on the whole thing.  I don't know what she could "see" at 32 weeks that will indicate anything to her one way or another.  I wish I knew what we were looking for, etc...

I guess at this point I just want answers.  I want to know one way or the other what we are doing,even if it is the C-Section.  The worst part is that I don't even know what hopsital I am delivering at, because the one that I want does not do V-backs, so I am only going there if we schedule the C.

by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
happygirl209
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:48 AM

if you   do a  v bac    you   really  should wait  till  the baby is  ready  don t get  induce there  more  risk that  way     so  either  do  a  section  or  wait  for you r   contractions to come on your  own

grandker
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:50 AM

Agreed-I will not be induced.  However, my OB does not want me to go past my date due to the size of the baby.  That is what makes me wonder if I should jsut schedule the C-section.  How likely is it that I will go into labot on my own before then?  Not very.

mommy-
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:54 AM

I guess I am the wierd one! I didn't/don't want a VBAC. I know the pros and cons to both and I chose to just have another C-section. And will have my 3rd c-section here in a few weeks. My first was a c-section at 37 weeks cause my baby was 10lbs even and 23 1/2 inches long he was breech and his head was too big to fit! My second was scheduled as well but turned into and emerg cause of placenta abruption.

Now i am getting ready for my third and wouldnt want it anyother way! All i can say is good luck and do what you feel is right! They cant make you have a scheduled c-section unless the baby is breech or there are other issues but if your baby is head down and you wanna try a VBAC then do that! Just talk to your doc 

CafeMom Tickers
lundaylove
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:54 AM

hi, i just saw this post in passing and although i am not in the group i wanted to let you know that you can have a successful vbac with an induction. Many doctors will not do it as they think there is risk but i had my vbac just 22 months after my csection with my twin girls and i was induced. They broke my water, started pitocin a little bit later and 24 hours from my first contraction my son was born via Csection at 38 weeks and is completely healthy and i have had no complications. So it is very possible so keep that in mind. Good luck!


sjump25
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:57 AM

My doc said if I opt for a VBAC he will NOT induce me.  It's better to let it happen natrually.  I would wait and see with the u/s sound says before you get too frustrated and give up on the idea of VBAC.  It's all so overwhelming to me too, but I would really love to have a natrual birth.

CafeMom Tickers
CTRedSoxMom
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:58 AM

If you really want a VBAC, and your doctor is only going to "allow" you if this ultrasound estimate is within their liking, which we all know late term ultrasounds are pretty famous for being incorrect, I would switch providers immediately.

Also, contact your local ICAN chapter, they are always great for information, you can find it at www.ican-online.org

Last is a link for a VBAC check list, to help you be more likely to have a VBAC.

http://www.ican-online.org/vbac/vaginal-birth-after-cesarean-checklist

Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History

Mom to
Camden Kent 12/11/07
&
Benjamin Emil 05/17/09

CTRedSoxMom
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:00 AM

Oh, if you are going for a VBAC, inductions should never be done with VBAC, especially with cytotec or pitocin. It increases the chance of uterine rupture. While the risk is still less than 1% who wants to worry about it?

Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History

Mom to
Camden Kent 12/11/07
&
Benjamin Emil 05/17/09

happytexasCM
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:02 AM

I think your OB is just stringing you along. There is nothing they can get from an ultrasound that will tell you if a VBAC is "likely." The only way to tell is to do a trial of labor. And one should not induce for a VBAC as it significantly increases your chance of uterine rupture.

Also, sizing from ultrasounds is unreliable; unless you have a condition that produces unnaturally (for you) large babies (like gestational diabetes), your body will make a baby appropriately sized for your body. I've know women whose larger baby was easier to birth than a smaller one due to the latter's shoulder size.

http://www.americanpregnancy.org/labornbirth/vbac.html


grandker
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:07 AM


Quoting happytexasCM:

I think your OB is just stringing you along. There is nothing they can get from an ultrasound that will tell you if a VBAC is "likely." The only way to tell is to do a trial of labor. And one should not induce for a VBAC as it significantly increases your chance of uterine rupture.

Also, sizing from ultrasounds is unreliable; unless you have a condition that produces unnaturally (for you) large babies (like gestational diabetes), your body will make a baby appropriately sized for your body. I've know women whose larger baby was easier to birth than a smaller one due to the latter's shoulder size.

http://www.childbirth.org/section/VBACFAQ.html

 

Sometimes I feel like she is stringing me along too.  I just want answers on what she is looking for at 36 weeks.  I assume that is when she will start "checking" me too.  Perhaps that will give some indication.  With my first I never dialated, etc... and was induced at 10 days past my due date.  From there everything went wrong, including allergic reactions to medictions, etc...  I ended up having a C-section after 30 hours in the hospital.  I was a 2 cm, no progress.  And my son was nearly 9 lbs, as big as they projected.

ArmyWife527
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:25 AM

they can see your scar on an ultrasound so she might be seeing what type of scar you have...thats what they did with me because the type of scar i have makes it dangerous for me to attempt a VBAC, but as to why they'd be waiting that long to check i can't honestly tell you

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)