Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What to do about the dark red stretch marks?

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 7:08 PM
  • 15 Replies

I have a friend who says she has them on her belly and is asking for advice. I only have the light ones and all I could suggest is cocoa butter Formula, Massage lotion for Stretch marks. She has never had children but I figure this is the best place to ask.

Thanks in advance!

by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 7:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Open_fire
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 7:15 PM

There's not really a whole lot you can do once you already have them.. Everything out there that you put on your belly is to prevent them. I would say use some sort of cream or something that helps with elasticity so they don't get too much worse. I had them all the way down my stomach with my last pregnancy and I was so upset.. But they disappeared within a few months. And I'm 32 weeks along now, and don't have any at all. And I never use anything for stretch marks. Strange though, I still have the light silver ones from when I was a chubby kid. No idea why those stayed and the ones from my pregnancy didn't. 

I heard there's a really good product that works miracles on stretch marks, sold at GNC called StriVectin. People swear by it, but it's pretty expensive. Everyone I know who has used it, got it off of ebay. But it made their stretch marks disappear completely.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Pregnancy tickers

tickled_pink09
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 7:28 PM

Quoting Open_fire:

There's not really a whole lot you can do once you already have them.. Everything out there that you put on your belly is to prevent them. I would say use some sort of cream or something that helps with elasticity so they don't get too much worse. I had them all the way down my stomach with my last pregnancy and I was so upset.. But they disappeared within a few months. And I'm 32 weeks along now, and don't have any at all. And I never use anything for stretch marks. Strange though, I still have the light silver ones from when I was a chubby kid. No idea why those stayed and the ones from my pregnancy didn't. 

I heard there's a really good product that works miracles on stretch marks, sold at GNC called StriVectin. People swear by it, but it's pretty expensive. Everyone I know who has used it, got it off of ebay. But it made their stretch marks disappear completely.

MamaKalila
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 7:30 PM

I actually talked to someone about this today... I just started selling Avon & noticed a stretch mark cream in the catelog.. I was curious as to how it works & she said that its great at fading them. I'm planning to try it at some point soon.

smallest_mc Photobucket PhotobucketPhotobucket http://www.youravon.com/kmery
sparklebug86
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 7:33 PM

hmmm.... I will have to try the stivectin :)

A tip to prevet anymore stretch marks is DO NOT SCRATCH! I was terrible about that and didnt believe everyone when they told me that scratching makes it worse but its true!

CafeMom Tickers
Gender Prediction
Get your own gender prediction!
JennaFoix
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 7:33 PM

I say learn how to deal with them. Stretch marks are scars. They fade over time, but most likely will never be completely gone. I had bad ones with my daugter and I still have them 5 years later and I still love myself with them. My mom got them with my brother and I 28 and 25 years ago and she still has hers. I honestly say learn how to love them. I see them as my proof of motherhood. If Im murdered and thrown somewhere and found a few days later before my skin rots away a medicall examiner will see those and possibly the first thing they will know about me is that im a mother because if my stretch marks. I dunno I guess I just love my kids and could careless what they do to my body as long as they're healthy.

Getting stretch marks depends on your skins elasticity NOT on what lotions/creams you do or dont use. why dont people get that yet???

MamaKalila
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 7:46 PM

While I agree that there is nothing wrong w/ having stretch marks, the child is what is important... and I'm only trying the Avon cream out of curiousity (for one thing if I'm gonna sell a product is nice to know for myself)... I do have to say that I disagree with parts of this.  You've got the basics down, but something can be done to stop it from happening and there are things that can be done... some a little more extreme than I am anywhere near comfortable with, but still...

Link from Medicnet that gives a better description of how and why they happen & what can be done.

Quoting JennaFoix:

I say learn how to deal with them. Stretch marks are scars. They fade over time, but most likely will never be completely gone. I had bad ones with my daugter and I still have them 5 years later and I still love myself with them. My mom got them with my brother and I 28 and 25 years ago and she still has hers. I honestly say learn how to love them. I see them as my proof of motherhood. If Im murdered and thrown somewhere and found a few days later before my skin rots away a medicall examiner will see those and possibly the first thing they will know about me is that im a mother because if my stretch marks. I dunno I guess I just love my kids and could careless what they do to my body as long as they're healthy.

Getting stretch marks depends on your skins elasticity NOT on what lotions/creams you do or dont use. why dont people get that yet???

smallest_mc Photobucket PhotobucketPhotobucket http://www.youravon.com/kmery
Honeybun09
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 7:55 PM

Mine were dark red. I left them alone my entire pregnancy and still leave them alone. My daughter is 10 months in 2 days and now most of them have faded into my pale skin color and the others are very light.

And they WERE very bad.

I honestly think leaving them alone is the best thing to do.  I'm sure all the stuff you try to put on them just irritates them further.

I am a US citizen, formula feeding but will breastfeed until child self weans next time, co-sleeping for at least 6 months, extended rear facing and harnessing to the maximum, God loving and fearing, spanking as a last resort believing, anti-CIO until age 1, learning to cook, disposable diapering but will cloth diaper next time, health care is a human right believing, part-time working opposite of husband's full-time shifts to not use daycare, trying to recycle more mommy to one beautiful mixed baby girl!  My husband is a legal Mexican United States citizen, who is the most amazing man, husband, and father.

LaceyN1121
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 7:57 PM

After she has the baby and her stomach starts to go back down to normal the stretch marks will fade. Just advise her to use lotions on a daily basis to keep the skin from losing moisture when it stretchs. Some people get them really bad (I did with my first and nothing helped until after I had her) and they start to fade once the baby is born and the body is returning to normal.

pregnancy calendar
tickled_pink09
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:33 PM

She is not pregnant but I thought this would be the best place to go for advice. I am pregnant though(for the first time) and only have minimal stretch marks.

tdenotter
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:35 PM

Vitamin E cream, palmers butter stretch mark cream.

Quoting tickled_pink09:

I have a friend who says she has them on her belly and is asking for advice. I only have the light ones and all I could suggest is cocoa butter Formula, Massage lotion for Stretch marks. She has never had children but I figure this is the best place to ask.

Thanks in advance!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)