Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

concerned.. Nursing Question *may be TMI* PLEASE HELP!

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:17 PM
  • 9 Replies

OK so I am 30 weeks pregnant today with our third baby girl. I nursed both girls prior and remember some of the basics... my question is... I am in severe pain. My breasts are engorged as though my milk has come in (last i checked not possible since baby isn't here) but while in the shower or warm bath the "let down" sensation happens and a white milky like substance starts to flow very freely... I was told several different things... to pump to relieve the pressure and also to not pump because it will disrupt my production. I really need help I am in so much pain that I'm not sleeping at night due to the engorgement... i remember having this feeling with my other girls but it was approx. 3-4 days after giving birth... I am still ten weeks away from this point. Am I getting ready to deliver? I have been dilating to 3cm and am approx. 80-90% effaced... Please help...

by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
katrina311
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:21 PM

How old is your youngest? If you weaned her not too long ago, it is possible that its milk. I would probably pump (if it was me) but be prepared that you will probably be producing more regularly than.

SweetPea020403
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:26 PM

M youngest is 9 months and she weened herself between 3-4 months.. (hence the new pregnancy =)   ) so i am so very confused.. and would LOVE to give these "boobs" to the hubby to lug around for a few days haha

Quoting katrina311:

How old is your youngest? If you weaned her not too long ago, it is possible that its milk. I would probably pump (if it was me) but be prepared that you will probably be producing more regularly than. love that idea! but was unsure if it would affect the colostrum amount that newborns need.

thank you for the response by the way =)

katrina311
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:33 PM

If you are leaking white milk, I don't think that's colostrum. I understand your worry though. Maybe you could pump and feed it to the baby in the hospital or pump and save it and talk to your doctor at your next check up.

Now that you brought that up, I wonder what people in the past did? Many people breastfed all the way up til the birth of a new baby. But than again maybe they were not aware of the health benefits of the colostrum.

SweetPea020403
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:07 PM

Bump.. anyone else with ideas? i am so about to go pump just to relieve the pressure!!!

mnt_2_b_mommy
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:16 PM

leaking during pregnancy has nothing to do with your milk production after baby is born, so you don't have to worry about that. I wouldn't pump though because pumping can cause contractions, and at 30 weeks I wouldn't risk that. Pumping is more forceful than nursing, but even some moms who nurse during pregnancy have to stop for that reason (those at risk for m/c early on or risk for preterm delivery). I would try a warm compress and maybe hand express some to relieve the pain. Or try cold cabbage leaves in your bra. Anything you do now won't affect your milk coming in after the birth of your baby.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
lovingeveryday
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:18 PM

Well, both my sister and my mother began producing milk between week 25-30 of pregnancy and their doctors said it was absolutely normal and that some women do produce milk early.  My doctor told me not to worry and that if it happened to talk to him and he would let me know some safe ways to ease the discomfort (though I hope I do not start producing that early in).  He did tell me that I should not pump the milk though, but I did not think to ask why at the time.  I am sorry I cannot be more helpful!

SweetPea020403
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:20 PM

thank you ladies for the responses... didnt even think about the hand expressing... good Idea! =) 

Armywife6
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:20 PM

I was told that pumping may help induce labor so I'd talk with my Dr before I pumped. IMO. Sorry I'm not much help.

expecting baby toddler boy ~~~ The kind of woman who doesn't have to defend my views, & or parenting style~~

Daynara
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:27 PM

When i was still pregnant I was told not to pump because it will cause contractions but also that it will cause the demand for body to make more and then your milk will come in and the colostrum is out the window. If you do end up pumping I would see about making sure that you freeze it and take it with you to the hospital to give the baby inbetween nursing if that is what you are wanting to do. Just an idea and a thought. It is all supply and demand, pumping will make the demand there for your body will make the supply.

Photobucket
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)