Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Being Induced With Cervidil on Monday 12/21

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2009 at 7:35 PM
  • 13 Replies

Has anyone else been induced with cervidil?

If so, how does that work, or did it even work for you?

What happened when you got this med?

Just curious about what may happen with my induction on Monday!  I don't know too much about inductions or medicines involved.

by on Dec. 18, 2009 at 7:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tnm786
by on Dec. 18, 2009 at 8:23 PM

I was with my 1st pregnancy 3 years ago. Basically, the doctor inserted a small string in my cervix and then we waited for 12 hours to see what happened. You have to be careful when using the bathroom in the meantime and wiping so that you don't accidentally pull it out. I'm not sure if they have different ones that work in different time intervals, but mine was the 12 hour. I can't remember how long exactly but I was induced at 2 am and was definitely contracting and asking for meds by morning. The shift change was at noon and the new doctor decided to check me 2 hours early and I was already at 4 cm so she took it out, I was moved to delivery, got put on a slow drip of pitocin and got my epidural all within about 3 hours. I delivered my baby the same day 2 minutes before midnight. Good luck!! :)

RippledBegonias
by on Dec. 18, 2009 at 11:11 PM

My experience with cervidil is similar to the PP. I went in at 8pm and had a string thing with the medicine placed on my cervix ( to my understanding though cervidil is NOT the induction- it is the pre-induction to make your cervix favorable to the actual induction 12 hrs later)  at 4am my water broke and my contractions kicked in at 3m apart- the cervidil was taken out and I delivered my son at 9:28 the following morning. I never received pitocin. I envy you I was originally supposed to be induced on Monday but I was pushed back till Tuesday =( oh well as long as Im home for Christmas with my older 2 children Im happy... but man is this weekend going to last forever- Good luck!!!

Grateful Dead Bearsthere is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone...

~Jessyca~ AP~ Crunchy~ Mama to Matt, Ana & Mia (due 12/21/09)~

fmaziarz
by on Dec. 19, 2009 at 12:37 AM

Oh lord, don't envy me - I'm 41 weeks pregnant.  My doctor would have induced me today 12/19/09 if it were a weekday, but he said nope - Monday.

I've been fighting the idea of childbirth for a few days now - it's scary!

I've been at 3 cm for a week and a half now.  My cervix is really thinned out as well... I wasn't given a percent, it's more than 50% now though, I know that.

I just was wondering what was going to happen with this cervidil thing... I really don't want to be in labor all day.  I just don't want to be uncomfortable or miserable that long.  I'm refusing an epidural.  I don't like the side-effects of it or the thought of something being stuck into my spine.

Do you think it will take less time since I'm already dilated some or there's no telling?

Quoting RippledBegonias:

My experience with cervidil is similar to the PP. I went in at 8pm and had a string thing with the medicine placed on my cervix ( to my understanding though cervidil is NOT the induction- it is the pre-induction to make your cervix favorable to the actual induction 12 hrs later)  at 4am my water broke and my contractions kicked in at 3m apart- the cervidil was taken out and I delivered my son at 9:28 the following morning. I never received pitocin. I envy you I was originally supposed to be induced on Monday but I was pushed back till Tuesday =( oh well as long as Im home for Christmas with my older 2 children Im happy... but man is this weekend going to last forever- Good luck!!!

mitchellsmomma
by on Dec. 19, 2009 at 8:03 AM

Cervidil did not work for me at all. It also made me feel a little sick. They put it in on a Sunday night and left me over night with it.

Good luck!! Hopefully you get a better batch :)

susies3babies
by on Dec. 19, 2009 at 8:08 AM

YES LOOKS LIKE A TAMPON AND STAYS IN FOR 12 HOURS I HAD THE WORST EXPERIENCE FROM IT A 1/2 HOUR AFTER IT WAS INSERTED I HAD BAD CONTRACTIONS 1 MINUTES APART FOR 25 1/2 HOURS IT WAS TORTURE AND WHEN THEY REMOVED IT I WAS BARELY 1 CM AND THEN THEY BROKE MY WATER AND I HAD MY BABY WITHIN 25 MINUTES GOING FROM 1 CM TO 10 IN 15 MINUTES

mommyziegler
by on Dec. 19, 2009 at 8:47 AM

When i got induced with my daughter they did cervadill and pitocin. The cervadill was like a tampon that they inserted in me and left in me throughout the night and then by morning they started me on pitocin and broke my water and 7 hours later my little girl was here. Cervadill does not hurt.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/drmfreemama   Come join drama free mama's!

CafeMom Tickers

toddler girl                                 in love                               its a boy

Summer Lynne born 4-22-08    Holly and John married 10-28-07    Baby boy due June 2, 2010

kemmerer411
by on Dec. 19, 2009 at 8:54 AM

I was induced with cervidil on 11/18 of this year. It looks like a squished down ob tampon (with no applicater). They insert it so it sits on your cervix and it desolves. Mine had to be in for 8 hours, and during that time I had to lay in bed, and could only get up to use the bathroom. It was done at night with the idea that I would be sleeping during this time. My membranes were stripped at my 39 week doc appt, on the 18th also... but due to my high BP I was sent to LandD for tests, and was later admitted and induced.

I got my cervidil inserted at 8pm, went into labor at 11pm and gave birth to my daughter at 10:02am. So it def worked for me.

When they first put it in your uncomfortable, and may experience mild cramping. My "cramping" quickly turned into contractions, so other than that I'm not sure what you would experience if it didnt put you into labor right away. It doesnt hurt to have it inserted, just mildly uncomfortable because they cant use lube... so they are going up in there dry (sorry if TMI).

Hope this was helpful! If you have any other ?'s I can try and help. PM me! Enjoy your xmas baby!!!!

CafeMom Tickers
RippledBegonias
by on Dec. 19, 2009 at 11:29 AM

Quoting fmaziarz:

Oh lord, don't envy me - I'm 41 weeks pregnant.  My doctor would have induced me today 12/19/09 if it were a weekday, but he said nope - Monday.

I've been at 3 cm for a week and a half now.  My cervix is really thinned out as well... I wasn't given a percent, it's more than 50% now though, I know that.

I just was wondering what was going to happen with this cervidil thing... I really don't want to be in labor all day.  I just don't want to be uncomfortable or miserable that long.  I'm refusing an epidural.  I don't like the side-effects of it or the thought of something being stuck into my spine.

Do you think it will take less time since I'm already dilated some or there's no telling?

I wonder why they would use cervidil if your already dilated and effaced. Im about the same as you 3cm- 80% effaced and I'll be receiving pitocin on tuesday-  I would  ? your dr. about this- as cevidil is for the ripening of the cervix which at 3cm/ + effacement you already are-

with my daughter- my labor was less than a half hour I think because I went in 4.5cm and 85% effaced - the way I see it is if your  goal is 10 and you've hit 3- part of the work is already done. Although I think I was super lucky with my experience with my daughter and am now expecting the worst labor ever as a trade off! ( im also a total pessimist!)

Quoting RippledBegonias:

Grateful Dead Bearsthere is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone...

~Jessyca~ AP~ Crunchy~ Mama to Matt, Ana & Mia (due 12/21/09)~

fmaziarz
by on Dec. 19, 2009 at 4:49 PM

I honestly don't know.  My doctor is strict catholic, doesn't prescribe birth control or do tubal ligations, etc...  He only does natural family planning.  From what I've heard he doesn't like to do c-sections or induce unless it's a last resort.  He won't even do an episiotomy unless it's 100% necessary.

I'm kind of thankful for that, but some things I still wonder about.

Are you saying they usually don't give cervidil to women who have had some sort of dilation already?  Maybe he thinks I'm not going to progress on my own.  I've been at 3cm for well over a week.  This is my first baby as well... so I'm new to everything.

Quoting RippledBegonias:

Quoting fmaziarz:

I wonder why they would use cervidil if your already dilated and effaced. Im about the same as you 3cm- 80% effaced and I'll be receiving pitocin on tuesday-  I would  ? your dr. about this- as cevidil is for the ripening of the cervix which at 3cm/ + effacement you already are-

with my daughter- my labor was less than a half hour I think because I went in 4.5cm and 85% effaced - the way I see it is if your  goal is 10 and you've hit 3- part of the work is already done. Although I think I was super lucky with my experience with my daughter and am now expecting the worst labor ever as a trade off! ( im also a total pessimist!)

Quoting RippledBegonias:

tdenotter
by on Dec. 19, 2009 at 4:55 PM

I was induced with cervadil with my second baby. Honestly I did not find that bad at all. Went is at 8am dr inserted a tampon like thing I stayed for 2 hours then they sent me home. Went back to the hospital 2 hours later in full labour I had her that same day at 5pm. I guess if your body is ready it is ready. I just had a bit of a jump start and out she came.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)