Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Epidural and C-Section......SCARED!!!!

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 10:00 AM
  • 22 Replies

I had an epidural in my first pregnancy/labor.  My son was born after a grueling 20 hours and and emergency c-section.  So last night I woke up in a cold sweat fearing the epidural this time around.  I will not be able to go into labor and will have to have a c-section.  I am so scared because this time they will not be able to do the epi while I am having a contraction so I am deathly afraid of feeling the needle this time and not a contraction.  On top of that, about 6 months after my son was born, I moved in my sleep and my legs went numb for about 30 seconds.  It was so scary, i thought I was paralyzed.  My doctor said it was probably from my epi and not to worry.  Ok...how can I NOT worry!?!??! It never happened again but I am still so afraid that this will happen again. 

Does anyone know......1) is there an alternate to the epidural when having a cesarean? 2) If not, what am I in store for, is it really painful?  I do not want to remember that of all things when I deliver my next baby. 

Thank you for all input!!!!

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 10:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ashleyrene4404
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 10:04 AM

I'm sorry, I don't have advice, but am curious as the to answer....bump

CafeMom Tickers
MJWard
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 10:06 AM

They normally do a spinal or gen anesthesia. With the Gen anesthesia you wont be awake for your childs birth. Like you I was in labor then needed a c section 26 hours into my labor..FUN! I know how you feel. but remember THIS time with a planned C section it will we way different. I dont like needles either but you cant see them doing it..and they numb your back B4 they do the spinal so you cant feel it.You have a while left to think about you want to do so I say relax and think about it because like I said with gen anesthesia you will miss your babys birth :O( Best of luck to you. :O)

treadmillBiggest Loser contest! Shed some lbs and win a prize Join us! Togeather we can make a change!  The Fit Mama Club

jakesgal88
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 10:07 AM

There are spinals, but not all hospitals use them during a csection. It depends on where you are delivering. Some give you a choice, and some only do one or the other. My hospital only does the epidurals during a csection. I am also worried about this. I do not like the feeling of being numb, but the fact that I am having twins means I may get stuck with a Csection. Sorry that you are feeling this way, I hope that you have an alternative at your hospital to ease your mind. Good luck.

TristanandTeddy
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 10:13 AM

Thanks ladies! The first time did not bother me because I was in soooooo much pain.  I labored all in my back with Tristan, no front labor, so it was extremely painful.  And for my hours of laboring, I had contractions 30 seconds apart.  So it was MISERABLE until I had the epi.  My hysband had surgery on his lower back a few months ago and they did an epidural.  He assures me you cannot feel it, but I needed others to tell me because he doesn't want me to be nervous.  And I don't know about this hospital because we have moved since our oldest son was born.  I know at the last one they wouldn't even let my husband be in the room with me.  UGH! 

Jennasmom08
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 10:15 AM

You should talk to your doctor about what they will be doing. I am having my second scheduled c-section Feb 8 and my doctor/hospital use a spinal instead of the epidural. It is just a different pain blocker that lasts a bit longer. I was worried the first time, but honestly the needle felt like a bee sting then I went numb within 3 minutes. Good Luck!

LaughterHugs
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 10:15 AM

just out of curiousity, if you are having such fear, why are you having a repeat c/s?

i hated my c/s and am going vbac this time to avoid all the idiotic unecessary interventions i had last time which snowballed into an 'emergency' c/s

TristanandTeddy
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 10:20 AM

I tried to get out of the c-section =(  They gave me no choice, their reason being the history of my last labor/delivery.  I fully dialated with my son but he was stuck on my pelvis.  Also, my son went into distress because of being stuck, which was more scary than anything that was happening to me. Because of that and the close time period of my pregnancies, they are afraid my uterus will rupture.  Better to be safe then sorry, I guess, but I was really bummed when they wouldn't let me deliver vaginally. 

renrut3907
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 10:30 AM

You're freakin yourself out, mama....lol.  I wanted a c-section but it took 4 days of labor for them to give me one.  It's easy, really.  I was in so much pain I don't know what they gave me cause it was relief to me (she had been hung up on my pelvis for 4 days) but as soon as they put it in my back everything went numb.  The only thing you feel during the c-section is tugging and pulling, no pain.  It's kind of a cool feeling to try to move your legs and nothing happens!  The surgery is no big deal....the tough part is the healing afterwards and I will be honest the first two days my stomach felt like it was on fire so I stayed on my heavy pain meds and stayed asleep..  After a week, I was back to normal.  You have to take it very easy for a month so you don't rip your staples, but I was alone with the baby during the day after one week and everything was fine.  You'll be ok - in my opinion, it's the more pain free way to go than to lay there for hours on end pushing a grapefruit out of a pea!!!!!!!!!

kayleena
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 10:33 AM

I just had my second c section Nov. 12. I hate needles. I would say getting the IV is so much worse than getting a spinal. (Its done the say way an epi is so either one you get) You just feel a small poke from the numbing shot. And then some tingles down your legs.. and slowly you will go numb. I could start to move my legs about an hour after getting out of surgery so its not that bad. I must admit though I thought it was funny watching the nurses pick up legs to clean me up and not being able to feel it. Good Luck!, Its not that bad.. And in the end you will have your beautiful baby!

ndirishgirl82
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 10:36 AM

I had a spinal when I had my c-section.  It was not nearly as bad as I thought it would be.  It helped that the guy who was doing my spinal was really hot.  Lol, j/k.  He did a really good job and I barely felt anything.  He numbed the spot with a shot before he put the huge needle in.  Just relax and it will be ok.  They normally do spinals for c-sections which completely numbs you from your chest down.  It wore off after about an hour and I never had any problems with it.