Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

insurance question.

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:12 PM
  • 6 Replies

we were NOT trying to get pregnant with this baby but it happened (on nuvaring).  just putting that out there so no one starts calling me names or something!  ha.

my husband is self employed and does not have health insurance.  my son and i DID have health insurance up until a couple months ago when i left my job.  i think even with me being unemployed, we will make too much for state insurance.  however, my husband works construction so his pay varies ALL OF THE TIME.  some months are great and some months we are picking which bill to pay first.  has anyone else been in a similar situation with insurance?  does anyone know of any insurance that doesn't consider pregnancy as a pre-existing condition?  it looks like aetna doesn't but something is messed up on their site and i couldn't get a quote. did anyone just pay out of pocket or set up a payment plan?  i can't IMAGINE having to do that but i'm so terrified that will be our only option. 

i'm in oklahoma by the way.  i'm going to a clinic this week to get checked out and see if they can help but i'm losing sleep over this in the meantime and just thought i'd ask!

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
LaceyN1121
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:16 PM

I say seek out state help first and if they are unable to help you they maybe able to point you in the right direction to something low cost or things along those lines. When I went in for state insurance they told me that I was border line (like $20 more a month and I would be over) but they also offered to show me in the right direction for low cost insurance. But when they were filing the paper work our income dropped dramatically and so I didn't need the low cost insurance.

pregnancy calendar
kltaylor07
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:19 PM

Quoting LaceyN1121:

I say seek out state help first and if they are unable to help you they maybe able to point you in the right direction to something low cost or things along those lines. When I went in for state insurance they told me that I was border line (like $20 more a month and I would be over) but they also offered to show me in the right direction for low cost insurance. But when they were filing the paper work our income dropped dramatically and so I didn't need the low cost insurance.

thanks.  i'm hoping that is the case and that they can help me out with it!  i have NO problem finding an insurance plan other than state, i just don't want that pay in full hospital bill at the end! 

CheyanneW
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:19 PM

I suggest appling to the state anyway.  There are different guidelines when it comes to babies and pregnancy you may qualify.  I had it and I was working.  After I got married I switched to Kaiser and I was already pregnant and they accepted me.  I don't know if they have Kaiser in Oklahoma.

lovingeveryday
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:20 PM

Last I heard ( I worked in Medical billing for 2 years) was that a law was being passed that would prohibit an insurance company from considering Pregnancy to be a pre-existing condition.  I know that I am going through Blue Cross Blue Shield and they do not consider it pre-existing, nor does Cigna/Aetna.  I left medical billing almost a year ago and would assume that the law would have passed by now, but then again...assuming anything where the government is concerned is rather dangerous.

MamaKalila
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:22 PM

Sorry, we have Aetna... I was very glad of that because last time we got pg before insurance kicked in. Good luck!

smallest_mc Photobucket PhotobucketPhotobucket Photobuckethttp://www.youravon.com/kmery
megbarr
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:54 PM

I'm in Oklahoma also. With our first kid, we had insurance but not maternity so I had to pay for everything. I was working part time and going to school full time. We made $4 too much for any help. Go figure. I set up a payment plan and paid as much extra as I could. The hospital did write quiet a bit off when we asked them. They said they could try a hard ship case and it worked for part of it. Most hospitals have a financial person that can help you with that kind of situation. I have also heard about trying to pass a law so that pregnancy wouldn't be a pre existing, but I didn't know if they have passed it or not. Good luck. (Where in Oklahoma are you?)

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)