Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love it/hate it - Graco Snugride 32/35

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:32 PM
  • 10 Replies

I'm looking at one either the Graco Snugride 32/35 car seats... Anyone love or hate them and WHY?

pregnant
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sarahphoto
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 8:21 PM

Really?? 19 views and nothing?? Come on ladies, help me out. :)

pregnant
sissychristi
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 8:22 PM

I've never used either so here's a bump.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

cocorosey
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 8:35 PM

I am thinking those 19 were looking for information, like me.  I am expecting my first child on 3/18 so I am not sure how useful my input will be.

I was thinking about getting one of them but they weigh @ 4 lbs more than the regular ones (which are around 12-13 lbs, I think).  I registered for a regular snugride instead because the prospect of hauling around 50 lbs kind of bugs me out...but I may change my mid depending on what I see other people say on here.  I think you need to also consider the height limit if you are thinking about it, so if your kid weighs, say 28 lbs but exceeds the height limit you have to upgrade anyway.  Ultimately, I'm pretty sure we're going to have to upgrade to the convertible rgardsless, right?  I guess going for the 32/35 will buy a little more time though.  Good luck in making your decision.

sarahphoto
by on Jan. 8, 2010 at 2:16 PM

We were originally going to go with a convertible car seat but everyone talked me out of it for various reasons. I don't plan on carrying the car sit much past the first couple of months - I love wraps and plan to carry my baby attached to me instead. So the weight thing isn't a huge deal.

Thanks for your input and good luck!!

pregnant
cocorosey
by on Jan. 8, 2010 at 5:40 PM

I plan on babywearing too but I like the flexibility of the Graco seats because they can snap into the stroller and there is the swing.  I have no idea if my kid will even like a swing but I figure the Graco snugglider will be cheaper than the other ones on the market and the seat snaps right in.   The new 35 ones look cool.  I'm kind of bummed you haven't gotten responses from people who actually used them.  Good luck with whatever you decide. 

mnt_2_b_mommy
by on Jan. 8, 2010 at 6:24 PM

Well I have the Graco Safeseat (2007) which is what the Snugride 32/35 are replacing. I like it a lot, it feels much sturdier than the regular Snugride, from everything from the base to the harness. I held them both at the same time and didn't notice much difference, but either way, I didn't carry the carseat around. I always put it in the stroller so the weight didn't matter to me. Mine has held up really well. The only drawback of the bigger seats, IMO, is that they are a bit longer so if you have a compact car you may have a problem with seating arrangements. We had my son's behind the passenger seat and it was big enough that only short people could sit in the front passenger seat comfortably. That was my only complaint though. We're using it again for this baby and it still looks brand new. I don't think you can go wrong with a Graco seat, just make sure if you get a regular Snugride that you get one that has the strap adjuster up front, some of them still have the adjuster in the back and that is a pain.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
mnt_2_b_mommy
by on Jan. 8, 2010 at 6:35 PM

20/20 or Dateline or one of those shows did an episode about babies being left in infant carriers too long and dying as a result, or getting brain damage from lack of oxygen. The problem is the angle of the newborn in an infant carrier, they say you shouldn't leave a baby in the carrier very long because of their angle (the closeness of the chin to the chest) it can make it more difficult to breathe. They said if you have to leave the baby in the carseat for hours, like on a long trip, to make sure to stop and get the baby out every once in awhile to make sure they are getting adequate oxygen. Apparently a lot of people leave their babies in the carseat if they are sleeping, sometimes even overnight, and that can be really dangerous for some babies. One of the things they mentioned was the snugglider because a lot of parents were saying they took their baby from the car and straight to the snugglider, which meant the baby was in the same position for hours and could compromise their airway. Anyway, it was a good warning about the dangers of leaving babies in that position too long so I thought I'd share. Just something to keep in mind in case your baby loves the carseat!! It's so tempting to leave them in there when they are sleeping or what not. Here's a link to one of the articles, I'll try to find the original story  later:

(and I do not mean to imply at all that you would leave your child for hours on end in their carseat, I just wanted to mention it because of the snug glider)

http://babyproducts.about.com/b/2009/02/06/babys-death-leads-to-warning-about-sleeping-in-car-seats.htm

Quoting cocorosey:

I plan on babywearing too but I like the flexibility of the Graco seats because they can snap into the stroller and there is the swing.  I have no idea if my kid will even like a swing but I figure the Graco snugglider will be cheaper than the other ones on the market and the seat snaps right in.   The new 35 ones look cool.  I'm kind of bummed you haven't gotten responses from people who actually used them.  Good luck with whatever you decide. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
AllNaturalMum
by on Jan. 8, 2010 at 6:57 PM

While I have heard some very nice things about the Graco snugrides, and have even used one in the past... I don't really recommend them.

I would highly recommend looking for a seat that has some sort of Anti-Rebound to it. This will keep the seat from flying into the seat in the event of an accident. While RF-ing is much safer, anti-rebound features greatly increase the safety benefits.

I have the Chicco Ketfit30 (which has a bigger build up in the front, so baby would be protected from the rebound in an accident). I LOVE this seat and have no regrets about spending the money on it.

I would suggest checking out the group Carseat Safety. They can point you towards some really great seats and explain the safety features better than I ever would be able to.

pregnancy calendar
K.a.C.87
by on Jan. 8, 2010 at 7:34 PM

i heard that they usually dont even make it up to that weight before they outgrow the height of the carseat, unless uhave really big big babies! lol

I am a 22 year old Wisconsin mama to my precious daughter, Eliahna Maree, loving fiance to lee, pregnant with our little boy!! (1.26.10) Bryant Allyn. (trying to have successful VBAC), Disposible diapering, ERFing, breastfeeding, NON-CIO, Vaxing mommy turned to NON-VAXing!

cocorosey
by on Jan. 8, 2010 at 7:42 PM

Quoting mnt_2_b_mommy:

20/20 or Dateline or one of those shows did an episode about babies being left in infant carriers too long and dying as a result, or getting brain damage from lack of oxygen. The problem is the angle of the newborn in an infant carrier, they say you shouldn't leave a baby in the carrier very long because of their angle (the closeness of the chin to the chest) it can make it more difficult to breathe. They said if you have to leave the baby in the carseat for hours, like on a long trip, to make sure to stop and get the baby out every once in awhile to make sure they are getting adequate oxygen. Apparently a lot of people leave their babies in the carseat if they are sleeping, sometimes even overnight, and that can be really dangerous for some babies. One of the things they mentioned was the snugglider because a lot of parents were saying they took their baby from the car and straight to the snugglider, which meant the baby was in the same position for hours and could compromise their airway. Anyway, it was a good warning about the dangers of leaving babies in that position too long so I thought I'd share. Just something to keep in mind in case your baby loves the carseat!! It's so tempting to leave them in there when they are sleeping or what not. Here's a link to one of the articles, I'll try to find the original story  later:

(and I do not mean to imply at all that you would leave your child for hours on end in their carseat, I just wanted to mention it because of the snug glider)

http://babyproducts.about.com/b/2009/02/06/babys-death-leads-to-warning-about-sleeping-in-car-seats.htm

Quoting cocorosey:

Thanks - that's pretty scary.  I didn't see that Dateline but I read in one of my books that you shouldn't leave them in the seat long.  It's funny because I have heard some women say they put their kid in the seat/swing for hours so they can get stuff done, sleep - not my intention., not bashing them though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)