Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

biopsy during pregnancy

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 5:25 PM
  • 7 Replies

i dont have this issue with this pregnancy but i did with my first.

i had an abnormal pap i guess i had some abnormal cells in my cervix and they wanted to do a biopsy of my cervix and i was reading the risks and there was kinda a high risk of misscarriage so i declined it.  i figured if i did have cervical cancer she woulda been my only chance at having a baby, so i didnt want to risk it.  turns out i dont and have had normal paps since then.  but my question is if you were in the same position would you do the biopsy or waut till after delivery?

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 5:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
gacgbaker
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 5:28 PM

Personally I would wait until after delivery.  So many things can cause an abnormal pap.  I believe its a great tool, and one that should be used... but when it comes to risking a miscarriage, I don't think I would be willing to do that. 

kim208
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 5:29 PM

I got a pap done the month before I found out I was pregnant with my son. Turns out I had HPV. My doc froze the cells so they would not grow during the pregnancy and then about 8 weeks pp I had the LEEP done they took it all out and I have had normal paps since then.

mommyziegler
by Platinum Member on Jan. 3, 2010 at 5:30 PM

when i found out i was pregnant this time my pap came back the same way and a month ago i got my colposcopy done and my doctor refused to do a biposy because he said it causes miscarriage so all he did was spray the vinegar solution inside of me and look around and he said everything looked great and tht after i have my son he wants to do another colposcopy with a biopsy this time

CafeMom Tickers

toddler girl                                 in love                               its a boy

Summer Lynne born 4-22-08    Holly and John married 10-28-07    Baby boy due June 2, 2010

rileysmomma17
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 5:31 PM

I had a biopsy done when i was 14 weeks pregnant. They say that it could get worse during pregnancy because of the hormones so i just wanted to make sure that it wasent that bad. Im hoping to deliver vaginally because she said that its not deep into my cervix and that if i have a successful vbac then it will just come off my cervix with the after birth. 

Pregnancy%20ticker

LJM21
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 5:40 PM

I have the EXACT same problem. They found the cells on my cervix the first trip. I also would not let them do a biopsy on me. but My DR recommended that I wait until after my son is born but He told me he would do one if I wanted it done, but he did not recommend me doing it. So I have waited. I have 8 weeks left until my due date. I'm hoping it's nothing major with mine 

Quoting heather4387:

i had an abnormal pap i guess i had some abnormal cells in my cervix and they wanted to do a biopsy of my cervix and i was reading the risks and there was kinda a high risk of misscarriage so i declined it.  i figured if i did have cervical cancer she woulda been my only chance at having a baby, so i didnt want to risk it.  turns out i dont and have had normal paps since then.  but my question is if you were in the same position would you do the biopsy or waut till after delivery?

its a boy

heather4387
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 5:45 PM

the dr that was going to do mine recommended i do it then i was scheduled for it and everything i was kinda lectured for not doing it,  said i was risking my health.  i had to sign something for liability reasons saying i was declining it against my drs recommendations.  is it something the drs normally dont want to do while pregnant?

Quoting LJM21:

I have the EXACT same problem. They found the cells on my cervix the first trip. I also would not let them do a biopsy on me. but My DR recommended that I wait until after my son is born but He told me he would do one if I wanted it done, but he did not recommend me doing it. So I have waited. I have 8 weeks left until my due date. I'm hoping it's nothing major with mine 

Quoting heather4387:

LJM21
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 5:51 PM

I've never heard of them really wanting to do one during pregnancy because of the risk of miscarriage. Mine told me he would do it if I wanted it done, but I would have to sign a paper if I chose to do it, leaving him no liable for anything that happened because he strongly did not recommend I do it.

Quoting heather4387:

the dr that was going to do mine recommended i do it then i was scheduled for it and everything i was kinda lectured for not doing it,  said i was risking my health.  i had to sign something for liability reasons saying i was declining it against my drs recommendations.  is it something the drs normally dont want to do while pregnant?

Quoting LJM21:

Quoting heather4387:

its a boy

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)