Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Labor Tips

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 6:39 PM
  • 32 Replies

I know...    We have had these posts before~  they seem pretty helpful!

There is a recent one in our other forum Just Born we can peek at.   But lets keep put a few more out there, in this forum, too.

We can learn a lot from each other, new moms, experienced moms alike!

:-)

So--   what are some important tips you can share with other moms?

Birth is not only about making babies. Birth is about making mothers ~ strong, competent, capable mothers who trust themselves and know their inner strength.

~Barbara Katz Rothma

When you change the way you view birth, the way you birth will change. -Mongan

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 6:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jennparker252
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 6:41 PM

I think some of the most important things are to have a birth plan and make sure your midwife or ob follows and respects it...

also, relax..your body will take care of things naturally:)

How`s my pregnancy doing?
CheyanneW
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 6:44 PM

Here is what I posted on the other thread.  Hope this helps someone!

I remember with my first when I felt like pushing I was so embarrassed but told the doc that I felt like I had to take a poop.  She said well you take that poop cuz that's the baby.  Then my next was 6yrs later and I completely forgot about that.  I felt like I was gonna have diarhea.  I had that feeling so strong that I just kept holding it in till I couldn't anymore.  I finally pushed the button for the nurse.  Not because I thought the baby was coming but I was going to tell her that I thought I was gonna have diarhea all over the bed and I couldn't hold it anymore.  She looked at me and said the head is almost out!  If only I had realized I think I held my daughter in for a good half hour for no reason!  That was sooo painful! 

doulala
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 6:55 PM

I had read books, gone to birth classes, watched videos, really felt prepared and ready....
and yet still, there were things that took me by surprise!   
A few examples are:

My water broke and I didn't go into labor.   (a variation of normal, not urgent!)   
During pushing/crowning, the baby would come out and go in, several times before staying out.
The after pains (to deliver placenta) can hurt. 

The knowledge of how to give birth without outside intervention lies deep within each woman. Successful childbirth depends on an acceptance of the process. ~Suzanne Arms

Birth is not an emergency. It is simply an emergence.” - Jeannine Parvati Baker

sissychristi
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 11:30 PM

This is a great topic and I would love to hear more to help prepare for my first birth.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

doulala
by on Jan. 5, 2010 at 4:23 PM

Quoting sissychristi:

This is a great topic and I would love to hear more to help prepare for my first birth.

Well then we better BUMP this for ya!!

;-)

Birth is not only about making babies. Birth is about making mothers ~ strong, competent, capable mothers who trust themselves and know their inner strength.

~Barbara Katz Rothma

MammaRed
by on Jan. 5, 2010 at 4:33 PM

I remember that all I wanted to do was be upright -- if I had to lie down (15 minutes per hour of monitoring) that is when things became a little intense.  Otherwise I was standing/leaning against my husband and swaying.....low mumbles and groans, or sitting on the ball. 

We bought an excerize ball from target just for that reason, and only used it a couple times prior to going into labor, then while in labor and haven't used it since LoL! 

They arer supposedlu building a birth center near me and I would LOVE to do a water birth next time.  I have heard magical things about the water.

MammaRed
by on Jan. 5, 2010 at 4:36 PM

ETA - that is what felt good to me at the time, it might be different with whenever the next baby comes. 

To any/all first time moms who are trying to go natural: the worst part was in transition which varies and since my water broke at the grocery store, no cervial checks. 

Typically transition is right around (but varies) 8-10 cms and for me only lasted 20 minutes.  Pushing was a reliefe so once I started to doubt myself, it was pretty much over!  

Happy Pregnancies/Labors!

K.a.C.87
by on Jan. 5, 2010 at 5:50 PM

i agree! this is my 2nd, but first vaginal

Quoting sissychristi:

I am a 22 year old Wisconsin mama to my precious daughter, Eliahna Maree, loving fiance to lee, pregnant with our little boy!! (1.26.10) Bryant Allyn. (trying to have successful VBAC), Disposible diapering, ERFing, breastfeeding, NON-CIO, Vaxing mommy turned to NON-VAXing!

rileysmomma17
by on Jan. 5, 2010 at 7:53 PM

BUMP!

Pregnancy%20ticker

doulala
by on Jan. 9, 2010 at 6:55 PM

Labor is intense, no doubt about that.   Mamas often find that it’s more intense & harder than they’d expected, but they can still do it naturally, with a little help.
In labor, they may feel a spiraling out-of-control craziness.  This can feel scary!  Wanting to control the body is natural, normal.
*But this is a time to LET GO; to release the tension and permit the body to take over and do what it needs to on its own.

I really suggest that you try to "be okay" with how this feels. This takes a lot of focus. A LOT of concentration. You'll need privacy to do this meditation, but it's worth it. You are going through what women endure everyday all over the world; it's very HARD! But you CAN do this, just try not to fight it.
SURRENDER.

Some women go "into" the pain and work through it, others try to get their mind somewhere else. Either way, coping is essential. Find anything that helps and stay with it.

At the same moment you are in labor, so are many others all over the world. They are doing this at the same time; you share this big moment, this special and beautiful experience. Consider this connection; and know that millions have done this before you. And now it’s your turn, you are connected to nature & to the world through this~~through childbirth.

Walking is good: stay upright.  Wriggle and dance.  Vocalize (loooow sounds) with the contractions.   Keep alternating between various strategies.  And keep that focus.

Your body does a little more work with each contraction.   Each one gets you closer and closer to the end; to meeting your Baby!!  
Focus on that--the REASON you are having these contractions; focus on the fact that there is a big reason you go through this, and welcome each one.

Notice blood/mucous? You can lose a little more mucous plug as you go-- or you might be done with it.   Either way is okay.   The blood is likely from the cervix's blood vessels breaking while you are dilating.   It's pretty common!   It's getting closer & closer to the end.   Good for you.   Be proud of yourself, this is hard and YOU ARE DOING IT! You ARE doing it!

The time between isn't as relevant as your ability to submit to them Contractions 10 minutes apart CAN be just as effective as contractions 3 minutes apart. Accepting their intensity can really help make them more productive. You MUST stay focused.

As the labor progresses, you will probably drift into "laborland." This is a place where you use all your focus to get through each contraction and everything outside your body seems to dissolve away, not mattering so much.

Get your thoughts away from the hospital medical environment.   Go somewhere (in your mind) more pleasant.   Is there a favorite & relaxing place you have been to that you could meditate on?   I know I am always repeating myself here, but "go with it",  go with the flow.
A favorite image for many mamas is: **(1st BREATHE...) Imagine the sea.  The warm water, the cool breeze.   Out in the middle of the ocean the waves bob up and down.   There is a large raft and you are laying there,   floating on it.   Think of yourself riding on those gentle waves.   Floating up.   Floating down.   Slowly,   gently. 
When a contraction comes on--go to that raft, float.    As it gets more intense the raft bobs upward.   You are melting into the raft; into the rising wave.   Go with it; let yourself bob.  Then the wave--and contraction--start back down.     Gentle and calm.   ** Breathe through this.    You can have your partner read this to you with a soft and slow voice so you can hear the meditation.

I tell mamas to expect that you will feel like you have the BIGGEST constipated poop in the universe, when baby is down there. That "need to poop" feeling is GREAT NEWS. You are getting a little closer to that with each contraction. Keep drinking water, juice... Eat if you can. Refresh your energy with calories, fresh air, cool shower.

If you need a break you can try a warm bath. You can rest leaning against your partner and try to sleep.

Eventually, you'll head into Transition.   At this time your body is contracting frequently, barely letting up and getting ready to push.  
You move out of Laborland, returning your focus to the room you're in, becoming more aware again.    This means you'll notice the intensity of the contractions.   Don't let it worry you; transition is very short:  a few minutes up to an hour, usually. Then it's time to push your baby out!!!! AHHH, what a relief!      :-)

The more you can remain upright, letting the body push, not your intentional or coached pushing, the better.   Again, you will want to really focus on NOT forcing it along.    Continue to breathe and relax into it.

Baby is almost here!!!   :-)

~Barbara Katz Rothma

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)