Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you think this is Necessary?

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 7:36 PM
  • 9 Replies

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2660328&fromRegistryNumber=44794560&product_skn=912384

When I used to run a daycare (quit last January), I had a daycare parent who brought me a preemie at 3 months old.  The hospital gave them one of those baby movement monitors, since he was like 2 months premature.  And they loved it and kept it for him for like a year.  I was thinking about getting one of these when the baby is born (not sure yet), but I don't know if it's really necessary or not.  What do you think?

pregnancy

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 7:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
KairisMama
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 7:37 PM

If your baby is in the same situation and born premature, sure. For a baby delivered at healthy at term, I don't find it necessary.  

Kairi       

MamaKalila
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 7:43 PM

No.. I can understand it for a preemie. Honestly I can understand it beyond that being paranoid myself about SIDS... but that is a lot of money. We coslept instead so I could just look over and check... and when Kalila transitioned (a little earlier than we plan to w/ this baby) I did check on her a lot, but I'd do that even if I used something like this. Our monitor was even useless in an apt this size.... I do plan to pull it out I think w/ Zavier though because we're moving and the rooms a little farther away... but by the time he's in there his risk will have gone down anyway.

smallest_mc Photobucket PhotobucketPhotobucket Photobuckethttp://www.youravon.com/kmery
Silvia1011
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 7:49 PM

Quoting MamaKalila:

No.. I can understand it for a preemie. Honestly I can understand it beyond that being paranoid myself about SIDS... but that is a lot of money. We coslept instead so I could just look over and check... and when Kalila transitioned (a little earlier than we plan to w/ this baby) I did check on her a lot, but I'd do that even if I used something like this. Our monitor was even useless in an apt this size.... I do plan to pull it out I think w/ Zavier though because we're moving and the rooms a little farther away... but by the time he's in there his risk will have gone down anyway.

I still have a long ways to go before our baby is even here, but yes... I am paranoid about SIDS for sure.  I don't practice co-sleeping, but i do plan on having a bassinet right next to my bed in the beginning.  We'll have to think about this later on whether we want to purchase it or not, but I may add it to my registry when that time comes :)  

pregnancy

MamaKalila
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 8:11 PM

Quoting Silvia1011:

Quoting MamaKalila:

I still have a long ways to go before our baby is even here, but yes... I am paranoid about SIDS for sure.  I don't practice co-sleeping, but i do plan on having a bassinet right next to my bed in the beginning.  We'll have to think about this later on whether we want to purchase it or not, but I may add it to my registry when that time comes :)  

I know several people who have done the bassinet by the bed thing and loved it... We had a co-sleeper that lies on the bed that we really liked, was kind of a middle ground type thing.

smallest_mc Photobucket PhotobucketPhotobucket Photobuckethttp://www.youravon.com/kmery
stellarluna
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 8:17 PM

My sister had a preemie (9 weeks premature) and the hospital told her those are useless, don't waste your money.  If you're going to spend extra money buy a visual monitor so you can see your baby.  If your baby is born premature, they will not allow you to use these and they supply you with a breathing/heart rate monitor that is much more effective. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

gradysmom2006
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 8:27 PM

Total waste of money in my opinion!  We only used our monitor for about 2 months.  By then every tiny move he made woke me up and I got NO sleep.  If he so much as moaned in his bed, I was up and awake anyway...moms don't need monitors as long as their child is relatively close.  (mine was in a different room)  A breathing monitor is WAY above and beyond.

Pregnancy ticker
Silvia1011
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 8:47 PM

Quoting stellarluna:

My sister had a preemie (9 weeks premature) and the hospital told her those are useless, don't waste your money.  If you're going to spend extra money buy a visual monitor so you can see your baby.  If your baby is born premature, they will not allow you to use these and they supply you with a breathing/heart rate monitor that is much more effective. 

Really?  Must be the store brand ones or something... because she had one from the hospital that worked great.  I probably won't get one since I plan on having the baby in the bassinet next to my bed for the first couple months if not longer.  And I do plan on getting the visual baby monitor for when he/she takes naps and moves to their own room.

pregnancy

canterburymom
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 8:50 PM

I'm getting one only because my son is 2 1*2 & i still get up 2 or 3 times a night. trust me i would love to get more sleep....lol but i can't so yea i am going to get one just so i can rest a little easier.....  

snathan
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 8:52 PM

I plan on getting one like this.  I had a miscarriage in June, I am now pregnant for the second time (this is my first).  I had a scare with this pregnancy as well with bleeding.  It took DH and me a lot to get pregnant and stay pregnant.  I have worried a lot in this pregnancy and don't think I will settle down 100% after the baby is born.  I think that even if there is some noise at least I am hoping to sleep better knowing I don't have to check the bed every 10 minutes to make sure baby is still breathing...This is just my feeling though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)