Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Avoiding stretch marks

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:01 PM
  • 23 Replies

I am VERY early in pregnancy but want to do EVERYTHING i can to try and avoid stretch marks.. I have been looking as some belly bumps online and some of the stretch marks are SO dark! and some women have so many!

My question is what are you, or have you in the past, done to prevent them? This is my first pregnancy and the only thing i have ever really heard about is cocoa and shea butter and drinking plenty of fluids.

I always have drank alot of water, and started the cocoa/shea butter mixture the day I found out i was pregnant (i found at a 4 weeks!).. I do my belly, sides and my chest because those suckers are growing (Wahoo to that!)

Any advice would be great!! Thanks!

Lilypie Maternity tickers

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Holly126
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:03 PM

Honestly, you can't prevent stretchmarks, you can only make them lighter. If you're genetically inclined to get them you will. Nothing can change that.  

Lilypie
Lilypie - (vgiB)

mOm2bOyS_nY
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:11 PM

good luck, when u find out let us know. its not possible! either u get them or u dont. there are things to make them fade, but they will never go away completely!

Silvia1011
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:14 PM

I heard the cocoa butter thing doesn't work, and neither does anything else really.  I've heard of products that help them fade, but nothing really to prevent them.  I didn't get any stretch marks on my belly at all, but I did get a few very light ones on my hips.  My mom got a ton from me, and I thought I would get them too.  As far as I've been told, if you get them.. then you get them and there's not much you can do about it :(  Hopefully you won't!

pregnancy

mommyziegler
by Platinum Member on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:14 PM

that is exactly what my doctor told me when i was pregnant with my dd.

Quoting Holly126:

Honestly, you can't prevent stretchmarks, you can only make them lighter. If you're genetically inclined to get them you will. Nothing can change that.  

CafeMom Tickers

toddler girl                                 in love                               its a boy

Summer Lynne born 4-22-08    Holly and John married 10-28-07    Baby boy due June 2, 2010

LSchwarting
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:22 PM

I don't know if I completely agree with those that say you cannot prevent them. I know I am genetically inclined, as one poster put it, to get stretch marks because I have old marks from gaining weight through my growth spurt in highschool, mostly on my hips and inner thighs. I started using Bella B Tummy Honey Butter (I bought it on Amazon.com for about $17 with free shipping) at about 2 months along and so far no stretch marks, and I have gained 25 pounds! I am now on my second tub. Even my old marks are lightening a little bit. Hope this helps!

mompatrol
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:26 PM

Well it basically comes down to genetics and how elastic your skin is, many women use different lotions which will hydrate the skin and make it easier to stretch without tearing but it doesn't necessarily prevent stretch marks. I would ask your mother if she had alot of stretch marks and hopefully it works in your favor.  This is something I really wouldn't worry too much about.. for me, I did get stretch marks but they have lightened up and do fade...unfortuantly once you have stretch marks they are permanate but there all products that help cover them up.  Good luck.

Mom2Jake08
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:51 PM

Unfortunately you can't prevent them--it's genetic.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

KaetlinC
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:54 PM

Try not to itch your belly. 

MarigoldsMama
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:59 PM

With my 1st, I gained a TON of weight, but I drank lots of water, put on lotion (cocoa butter & vitamin E oil) religiously and avoided stretch marks completely.

With my 2nd, I did the EXACT same thing and was fine until about 36 weeks... and then I got a whole bunch around my belly button. I guess I stretched as far as I could. They have faded quite a bit - not dark, but still visible (my 2nd daughter is 20 months).

I'm now 27 weeks with #3, with no new ones... but agree with the girls who say you can hydrate and moisturize and it might help, but if you are going to get them, there is not much you can do about it. I think your skin can stretch to a certain point, but once you exceed that, or if your growth happens quickly, it is just going to happen.

I hope you are one of the lucky ones who avoid them!

If not though, the "battle scars" of motherhood are well worth it. I wouldn't trade my babies for a perfectly smooth belly! LOL

CafeMom Tickers
Mommy2B110
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2010 at 10:05 PM

I think they are kind of unavoidable. I have used cocoa butter since the very beginning and still got them. It took awhile but they did show up. Like someone else said..genetics and the elasticity of your skin are factors. I'm 38 weeks and still use it but I am dealing with the fact that they are there..but it is worth it though. Being a mommy is a beautiful thing. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)