Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

when to worry?

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:06 PM
  • 12 Replies

When should you worry about getting light headed?

background story - i went to lowes today with my hubby and we were checking out (the lady took forever) but I started to feel icky, after I signed the slip I told hubby he needed to grab the receipt and took off for the bathroom.  I knew I was either going to pass out or throw up..  Luckily neither happened.  But I was starting to see "stars" and feel lightheaded.

When I got home, i rested for the rest of the afternoon, just feeling exhuasted, but I also noticed my heart was beating really hard (felt almost as if it would beat out of my chest. 

Is this something I should call my doctor about?  I feel better now.  And I don't have another OB appointment until the end of the month.

Thanks!

CafeMom Tickers

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
adamko84
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:12 PM

I have perpetually low bp, I get that same feeling virtually every morning. They have me on modified bed rest because of it. ABSOLUTELY bring it up to your doc, and actually I would call and ask to get an earlier appointment than the end of the month. It's something that needs to be on your medical record so that they can keep track of it if you have more. Occasional random spells are said to be normal during pregnancy, but it sounds like yours is a bit stronger than normal. Anyways no need to panic or anything, but just don't take it lightly. Tell your doc about it, write it down and put it in your purse if you can't get in till the end of the month.

How`s my pregnancy doing?

LittleLeah797
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:12 PM

I had similar symptoms but was also experiencing shortness of breath and when i went to my doctor it turned out to be anemia. But just to be safe you might want to give your Doctor a call.

adamko84
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:13 PM

oh and the heart racing goes along with low bp, your heart races when the pressure drops. if this happens again, check your pulse. if it's 160 or above for more than a minute or two I'd call your doc right away.

grapejelly
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:14 PM

when I went to the doctor's at the end of December my blood pressure was ...   115/58  I think (anyway it was around there).. which I'm pretty sure is normal for me.. is that low?

CafeMom Tickers

adamko84
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:19 PM

for 'normal' people yes that is low. but i'm in the same boat as you, that's my normal. well i'm even a little lower, my normal is around 108/52, but your bp changes throughout the day. when i went in to L&D yesterday because i had a really bad spell combined with some other funky stuff, they said for anyone when they start to worry about high/low is when you go 20 points above or below your normal. so for me she said if i got down to 80/30 that that would be my worry point, or 120/70, which is normal for most people. it all depends on what your norm is.

tomary
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:20 PM

I had the same problem when I was shopping the other day. I am gonna bring it up with my dr.

CafeMom Tickers
MissiHampt
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:21 PM

I've been having these episodes as well.  In fact, I did pass out right on the table at my last OB appointment.  I have low blood pressure to begin with and now apparently the baby is pressing on the huge artery that returns blood from the legs to the upper body.  Dr says the quickest solution is to lie down on my left side, but that doesn't always help anymore.  My symptoms are pretty much exactly how you described, though....I get hot, then nauseous, then weak feeling, and then my vision starts to go dark.  Sometimes it passes before reaching that point, sometimes not.  Unfortunately, there is no cure.....except to have the baby.  Pretty sure after my next appointment I'm going to be stuck on bedrest because of it as well...

Missi....loving wife to Jason, mommy to Ricky (1-12-05), and soon to be mommy to Logan Douglas (due Feb 2010).  I'm a cloth diapering, baby wearing, breastfeeding till baby wants to quit, homeschooling, non-circumcising, anti-cry it out, part time working, animal loving, trashy romance novel reading, farm raised hillbilly.  I have had Meningitis and Swine Flu and lived to tell about it.  Any questions?

grapejelly
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:35 PM

eek, I wasn't thinking this was a big deal, I guess I should follow up with the doctor about it...

CafeMom Tickers

Pandana
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:46 PM

Quoting grapejelly:

when I went to the doctor's at the end of December my blood pressure was ...   115/58  I think (anyway it was around there).. which I'm pretty sure is normal for me.. is that low?

That is not abnormally low. Abnormally (in other words, problematic) low would be 90/50 or lower.

In early pregnancy a woman's blood volume will increase, causing her blood pressure to drop a little bit. Around the beginning of the second trimester, blood volume increases drastically, causing a whole host of symptoms in some women. Headaches are common, so are milk visual problems (due to the pressure the extra blood puts on the optic nerve behind the eye.....though if visual problems are constant or severe then they need to be checked IMMEDIATELY.....mild ones are not uncommon though), nosebleeds, and also another drop in blood pressure. This can cause mild dizzy spells for some people.

At 14 weeks, you are right about at the point where you can start expecting any of those symptoms.

That does NOT mean that you shouldn't alert your doctor. They need to be aware of any and all symptoms that you experience so that they can monitor them for increasing frequency, severity, or any unusual or concerning patterns. But in general, the blood pressure measurement that you reported is actually a fairly normal one for your gestation and slight dizziness COULD be too. Call and let them know anyway and if they want to re-check your blood pressure just to ensure that you haven't ex[erienced TOO drastic of a drop, they'll call you in sooner.

grapejelly
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:51 PM

Thanks for the info! Glad to know it might just be where I am gestationally....

Quoting Pandana:

Quoting grapejelly:

That is not abnormally low. Abnormally (in other words, problematic) low would be 90/50 or lower.

In early pregnancy a woman's blood volume will increase, causing her blood pressure to drop a little bit. Around the beginning of the second trimester, blood volume increases drastically, causing a whole host of symptoms in some women. Headaches are common, so are milk visual problems (due to the pressure the extra blood puts on the optic nerve behind the eye.....though if visual problems are constant or severe then they need to be checked IMMEDIATELY.....mild ones are not uncommon though), nosebleeds, and also another drop in blood pressure. This can cause mild dizzy spells for some people.

At 14 weeks, you are right about at the point where you can start expecting any of those symptoms.

That does NOT mean that you shouldn't alert your doctor. They need to be aware of any and all symptoms that you experience so that they can monitor them for increasing frequency, severity, or any unusual or concerning patterns. But in general, the blood pressure measurement that you reported is actually a fairly normal one for your gestation and slight dizziness COULD be too. Call and let them know anyway and if they want to re-check your blood pressure just to ensure that you haven't ex[erienced TOO drastic of a drop, they'll call you in sooner.

CafeMom Tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)