Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

How can I convert a dresser top to a changing table?

Posted by on Jan. 5, 2010 at 10:39 PM
  • 10 Replies

I have the feeling that buying a changing table is a pretty big waste of moolah and I would like to find a way to safely secure a changing pad setup to my dresser top, which is at the perfect height for changing.  I have heard of setups with a changing area that is removable when it's no longer needed, but I also want to buy an unfinished dresser for the baby's room because grandma-to-be is an artist and will paint the furniture to fit the room theme.  I don't think I'll be able to find that type of setup in an unfinished condition.  I'm not seeing anything at b'r'us.  Any suggestions?

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jan. 5, 2010 at 10:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sonyab927
by on Jan. 5, 2010 at 10:45 PM

Check out woodyou.com they specialize in unfinished furniture.  I bought some benches for my dining room table there and was very pleased.

cms52006
by on Jan. 5, 2010 at 10:47 PM

You can get the grippy foam sheets (like the one you line cabinets with)and put it under the changing pad.. I have a big changing table/dresser and that is how I have it on top.. I never leave my kids on them by them self so I feel safe putting them on it and it doesn't move..

CafeMom Tickers
Nicolle_09
by on Jan. 5, 2010 at 10:49 PM

I bought a dresser that they old owners added onto to be used as a changing table.  All that is really needing to be done is attaching boards on their sides that would safely hold the pad in place.  If your are not sure what I mean send me a message, I dont have a pic on the computer but would be glad to take one.

I am a...bottle feeding, vaccinating, non-circumsising, disposable diapering, baby wearing, attachment parenting but non-cosleeping, totally against CIO, tattoo and piercing loving, time out giving, future public schooling, video game loving, online but child first, chevy driving, dirt bike riding, off roading and four wheeling, pro-gun, hunting and fishing, meat eating, going to college, young post-NICU mom to a wonderful angel boy.

mrs.will
by on Jan. 5, 2010 at 10:53 PM

I WOULD LOOK FOR A DRESSER THAT IS THE HEIGHT THAT WOULD BE GOOD FOR YOU TO COMFORTABLY CHANGE DIAPERS. THEN THEY SALE THE CUSHIONS AT LOTS OF PLACES LIKE WALMART OR TARGET. NOW SECURING IT ON TOP THE DRESSER ONLY THING I CAN THINK OF IS USING MAYBE SOME VELCRO TAPE. ATTACH ONE SIDE TO THE DRESSER ITSELF THEN THE OTHER SIDE TO THE BACK OF THE CHANGING PAD. MAYBE DO IT ON EACH CORNER AND THE MIDDLE SO IT DOESNT SLIP AND SLIDE AROUND. DOES THAT MAKE SENSE???  THEN LIKE THIS PAD I SAW ONLINE IT HAS A SAFETY BELT ON IT FOR THE CHILD.

Product Image Childcraft Safety-Change Contoured Dressing Pad

kelz895
by on Jan. 5, 2010 at 11:05 PM

i would personally just use a bed :) i had a changing table for my first child and barely used it she was to big for it  in so little time

CafeMom Tickers
DeputyWifeJen
by on Jan. 5, 2010 at 11:14 PM

I would use the no slip shelve liner stuff under a changing pad mattress. Then staple gun one end of the belt to the back of the dresser and the other just inside the top drawer. When you remove them later you will never see the marks. This set up will prevent the mat from slipping around, and you can strap the baby not just to the pad, but to the whole table.

Wife to Brian since 11-27-04, Mommy to Will since 6-28-07 and Bennett since 12-5-09

MikeysMom51108
by on Jan. 5, 2010 at 11:19 PM

When my son was younger, we had a dresser that was wide instead of tall. That way, it was shorter to the ground, and was longer to put a changing pad on. We had a portable changing pad (a pp posted a picture of the kind we had). I just set that on top of one end of the dresser with some of that no-slip stuff underneath it (the kind you might use for your kitchen drawers or shelves). It worked well for us. I wasn't too worried about needing to secure the changing pad to the dresser because all of our supplies were right there within reach, so there was no reason for me to ever leave him on there.

SmileGraceSmile
by on Jan. 6, 2010 at 12:08 AM

Some of the changing pads come with two belts, one for baby and the other to belt it to a surfact (like changing table/dresser.  You can take the belt and drill a small hole (or pull the wood back) and feed the belt through and the other end through the top drawer.  Other wise you can be decorative trim from  hardware store 9for a few dollars) and nail it to the dresser top, when you no longer need it just remove the trim and putty over the holes.

jdelain79
by on Jan. 6, 2010 at 12:42 AM
I personally just used a chest of drawers and placed one of those nice padded portable folding changing pads on top. Since you never leave baby unattended it stayed in place due to babies weight. Plus mine had a non sliding finish since it was made to be folded up for traveling. I got mine at Wal-Mart. It was a regular changing pad that folded in half for storage...may have been $15. It worked great for my son!
TTC2Long
by Gold Member on Jan. 6, 2010 at 12:55 AM

Perfect!  This helps so much.  So far, I've eliminated the need for a changing table and a crib.  That leaves more money for a nice glider!  Thanks mommas!

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)