Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

the "basketball" belly vs. the "Watermelon" belly.

Posted by on Jan. 13, 2010 at 1:22 PM
  • 10 Replies

Ok so with my first two I had a "watermelon" belly, they were low and wide and depending on what I was wearing I sometimes just looked fat instead of pregnant. Now with this one I have the "basketball" belly. He is straight out in front and a little higher. Seriously looks like I have a basketball under my shirt. So here is my question, for all you mom's who have had the basketball belly, does it really make this much of a difference as to how uncomfortable you are? with the other two I was only really uncomfortable if I laid on my back. I could sit on the couch, lay on my side, sit at the table whatever without an issue. Now with this one, I can never seem to get comfortable! The only postion that lets me catch my breath is standing. (being on bedrest this is difficult) I have horrendous heartburn and even laying on my side I have trouble breathing, and I feel like someone is squishing me. Is this normal for the way I am carrying the baby? or does it have no relevance?

by on Jan. 13, 2010 at 1:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sissychristi
by on Jan. 13, 2010 at 1:25 PM

I've got a basketball belly and only get discomfort when trying to sleep or when the baby is pushing itself all the way down to my pelvis.

I do get heartburn and shortness of breath, but figure that is to be expected since I am 28 weeks and am running out of room. LOL

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

lmurphy22
by on Jan. 13, 2010 at 1:32 PM

oh yeah and he is sitting breech if that makes a difference? his head in my ribs and he is literally standing on my cervix.

CafeMom Tickers

CarrolnDj
by on Jan. 13, 2010 at 1:35 PM

what about beach ball bellys hehe ??

You after you play with a beach ball a bit and one side deflates Thats my tummy right now

Armywife6
by on Jan. 13, 2010 at 1:38 PM

I can't recall the last time I slept through the night. It seems as though when I sleep/lay down he thinks it's time to get as low as possible & cause mommy vaginal pressure (tmi..sorry). Which in turn wakes me up for a lil bit. I'm 32w3d along so I figure I better just get used to it because it won't get any more comfy when he actaully drops. I carried both of mine this way so I can't compare the 2. Also, I have asthma so shortness of breath is nothing new to me.

expecting baby toddler boy ~~~ The kind of woman who doesn't have to defend my views, & or parenting style~~

sarahmward
by on Jan. 13, 2010 at 1:39 PM

I have had a "basketball" belly with both and this time is the only time I have been really uncomfortable.  With my first son I had no problem but with this son I cannot get comfortable!  Oh and I have really bad either heartburn or acid reflux this time, can't really tell what it is but it sucks.

lmurphy22
by on Jan. 13, 2010 at 1:44 PM

lots and lots and lots of milk!! helps with the heartburn. I actually found that chocolate milk works even better then regular milk, but that might just be my imagination lol.

Quoting sarahmward:

I have had a "basketball" belly with both and this time is the only time I have been really uncomfortable.  With my first son I had no problem but with this son I cannot get comfortable!  Oh and I have really bad either heartburn or acid reflux this time, can't really tell what it is but it sucks.

CafeMom Tickers

sarahmward
by on Jan. 13, 2010 at 2:28 PM

lol I would LOVE to have milk but it makes me sick after I drink it so raw milk is a no no.  It kinda sucks actually!

Quoting lmurphy22:

lots and lots and lots of milk!! helps with the heartburn. I actually found that chocolate milk works even better then regular milk, but that might just be my imagination lol.

Quoting sarahmward:

lmurphy22
by on Jan. 13, 2010 at 2:31 PM

oh that really sucks! I usually don't drink alot of milk but I have been with this baby lol. try rolaids soft chews. they taste like starbursts instead of chalk and they do work. I am actually on zantac my heartburn got so bad.

Quoting sarahmward:

lol I would LOVE to have milk but it makes me sick after I drink it so raw milk is a no no.  It kinda sucks actually!

Quoting lmurphy22:

Quoting sarahmward:

CafeMom Tickers

cdeweese
by on Jan. 13, 2010 at 2:35 PM

I have the "basketball" and I'm always unconfortable! LOL I can't sleep longer than a few hours (maybe) at a time and I'm only comfortable propped about halfway up on my back. Breathing is a concious effort now (I catch myself getting light headed just sitting and have to remind myself to take deep breaths). I really didn't think I would get this uncomfortable so soon (28 wks)! 

momto1ryen
by Lindsey on Jan. 13, 2010 at 2:40 PM

MY dd was watermelon belly and I carried her in the middle. I wasn't uncomortable with her until the end. Now with this one it's a perfect basketball, nothing in my hips, low as he can go and sooooo uncomfortable. I have a barely there belly too so my dh doesn't get it. Who knows.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN