Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Did anyone get the H1N1 or Seasonal Flu Vaccine while pregnant?

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 3:46 AM
  • 35 Replies

At my appointment on Friday (1/15) I requested to get the vaccine, they were offering both H1N1 and the seasonal flu. I had gotten sick once in December and didnt want to go through it again since its not safe to take medicine. So, I got both of them done, one in each arm.

Well, Saturday afternoon I started sneezing. By Sunday afternoon I felt like a load of crap. My nose is stopped up, but dripping steadily. My throat is really sore and congested. I am pissed, of course. Because I thought getting the vaccine meant you DON'T get sick. I have heard that it is possible to get mild symptoms...but this is far from mild. I have been drinking tea and eating soup all day, but I have no relief for my throat. Sunday afternoon it was so bad that I couldnt talk, I could only whisper and that was very painful.

I have been adding honey to my tea, had some orange juice for the Vitamin C and have been garggling with salt water. Oh, and taking tylenol which doesnt seem to be doing anything.

Is this a normal reaction for a pregnant women?

Should I have not gotten both vaccines in the same day? Was it too much? Should the doctor have said something?

Any suggestions for some relief? Natural Remedies anyone know of?

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 3:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gigglefiend121
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 3:48 AM

I got both at the same time and was fine. Your symptoms sound similar to strep throat.

laureng22
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 3:52 AM

My doctor did not recommend the H1N1 flu shot nor the regular flu shot. He is German though and much less inclined to vaccinate for everything under the sun.  I really hope you feel better. I don't think the shots can make you sick.

amazingrace0408
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 3:53 AM

I recieved both immunizations... not at the same time however. I had the general flu shot first than a few weeks later (since they haven't released them yet) I got the H1N1 vaccine simply bc someone exposed everyone to the virus at a babyshower.... neglecting to let any of us know until 5 days later. Im still a bit bitter about it as the person the babyshower was for was clearly pregnant and myself as well! ANYWHO... I had no side effects to either except for some tenderness around the injection site.

You may wanna contact your doctor and let them know your symptoms... Doesn't sound flu like though. I know the virus they use is a dead virus so really you shouldn't have gotten any effects to the shot unless it's an allergic reaction to the shot or soreness in the area the shot was adminstered.

lashawna_love
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 4:33 AM

I have had both, and had no symptoms simple smile

boyd-family
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 4:36 AM

Since you are pregnant both vaccines  have the killed virus in them.....there is no way you could have gotten the flu that way, you may have already had it and it was a coincidence, or I guess there is a chance the doc gave you the wrong vaccine, in any case I would call and ask to double check, and if he says you got the right ones, just get lots of fluid, try to stay in bed and make sure you don't get a fever! GL Momma!!! 

CafeMom Tickers
Grungalax
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 5:02 AM

I don't ever get the vaccines anymore. Every time I did in the past I got sicker than I usually would without them. Its true that the vaccines are supposed to have the dead virus in them, but I think it must still be partly alive if its going to teach your immune system how to fight it. That is just my thought though. The best thing is to talk to your doctor.

mindi6103
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 5:26 AM

I got both the H1N1 and the regular flu vaccine at the same time and I haven't been sick since.  I know some people say they get sick after flu vaccines but I never have.  Maybe you were already exposed to it before you got the shot.  Sorry you're sick though, it sucks even worse when you're pregnant.

CafeMom Tickers
PhotobucketBF, Soldier, Love
paulsgirl1297
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 6:43 AM

I got both vaccines in the same day and don;'t remember any symptoms especially not like you are having, all I had was a sore arm from the H1N1 for about a day and a half. I would give the nurse at the office a call and let them know, I hope it isn't strep throat UGGHH I hate to have a sore throat, I hope you feel better soon.

Jennasmom08
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 6:49 AM

I have had both, and had no symptoms

Cassidysmom611
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:28 AM

I got both the season and H1N1 along with a pnemonia vaccine. I got the seasonal one and pnemonia together and didn't get the H1N1 till about 6 weeks later only because they didn't have any.

I think you may have just gotten a cold or another virius that just happend to start around the same time. I would just keep trying to rest and drink lots of clear fluids. HTH. Feel better!

its a girlKeira Ellie

baby

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)