Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Talking with your spouse?

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:59 AM
  • 4 Replies

What kinds of topics and questions do you suggest you discuss with your spouse before baby arrives?  Have you talked about any on your list?  What is the best way to approach your husband about these topics?

Amber- Group Owner of:
Unique Baby Names
and Children's Health Issues

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
BeckieLea
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 8:05 AM

My DH and I have always had really great communication. We have talked about spanking, bf, ff, TV watching, movie watching, really anything that goes into being a parent and where we stand. You are going to want to be on the same page on things as much as possible. We like to talk about what we hope it will be like when our baby arrives (this is our first), so thats where alot of questions come up. Honestly, to bring it up be like hey babe can we talk about baby?  

We're Pregnant.
Due 6.14.2010.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

grapejelly
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 8:13 AM

This is a grea post.

We've just started to dive into things, we are more of a take it as it comes type couple... But we have already talked about BF, Cloth Diapering (he thinks it's gross! I'm all for it!), Nursery decorating, Friends with kids (if they come over with his friends - I'm not the babysitter, so they can drink), working after the baby comes, how I want the birth to go (visitors at the hospital, holding the baby, etc.)

We still have more to talk about.. birthing classes, names!,  hm... what else...

CafeMom Tickers

cdeweese
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 8:17 AM

I would suggest talking about everything having to do with parenting before becoming pregnant. My husband and I were TTC for a while, so we had plenty of time! I never really wait to discuss anything with him. When I think about it I'll say, "Hey babe, what do you think about ...?" You don't want to wait until you have a crying baby and one of you is rushing in to pick them up while the other thinks letting them cry is better. Then you're stressed and arguing! We've discussed discipline styles, sleeping arrangements, feeding techniques, etc. and will discuss other issues as they come up. I'm a big believer in discussing things when they're thought of and not "waiting" for the right time. What if it never comes??? 

janet214
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 8:22 AM

Neither my husband nor I beat around the bush when it comes to important topics regarding our soon to be child. Parenting is a two person job so I've never felt like it was all on me to bring topics up or initiate discussions. We both do it. In fact I believe he brought up the topic of spanking very early on in our pregnancy before I was even thinking about what parenting style/approach I wanted. Later I brought up BF vs FF. We've discussed religion, education, day care, even video games. I guess it has never occured to me that some guys probably just don't care about that stuff.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)