Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is this normal? A little confused. Elective Ultrasound

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:45 AM
  • 19 Replies

My doctor scheduled ultrasound is not till Feb. 3rd. Being impatient we thought we'd go and get a elective ultrasound. Well that was on Saturday and we are both still a little confused.

First off she barely actually went to look at the bits she was mostly taking face shots. Which okay I get it they do "keepsake" ultrasounds so she wants to get a couple good face ones, but we never got to see his goods. Which we thought was weird cause with our first pregnancy we saw what our son was as clear as day and they spent a lot more time down there. Granted the baby was active and kept putting it's hand in the way but still...When she did show us on the screen what was supposed to be the penis it was a butt shot and it went longer then his femur and out of the picture.  So truthfully it looked like a umbilical cord to us(especially after I came home and looked at my sons and some other boy ultrasounds). Okay so I figured hey we aren't trained in this and the baby is being uncooperative so maybe we are just missing something. But here's the thing that bothers us(especially my husband): She didn't give us even one shot of "his" genitals! I know I should of checked before we left but I was a bit in shock to tell the truth(everyone, including myself, really thought this was a girl) so didn't check the pictures till later. Is this normal? I thought for sure since I had the gender id package done that I would get at least one genital shot.

I guess it's not that big of a deal since we have a another ultrasound(at a actual doctor's office) scheduled in a couple weeks. But it definitely bothers me I have nothing to prove to myself what the baby is till then. Also are 16 week ultrasounds pretty accurate? Again not very important since we have another appointment soon but I'm getting nervous since we didn't see "his" bits clearly! And with our son's it was very obvious!

Sorry this post got a little long, I guess I needed to vent a little too :)

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jridgill
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:46 AM

It's way too hard for me to read that light pink typing. Here's a bump for you. Maybe someone else can. 

mommy2girls0305
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:52 AM

im not sure about the  accuracy. I think that  maybe the u/s  sec in a couple of weeks  may be  able to tell you  more good luck!

hggmommy87
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:52 AM

not trying to be sick here and I hope that no one takes it the wrong way...but  one of my boys is really really small in that area and his little pee pee poked out clear as day:)  If it was a boy you would be able to tell.  Genitals dont start producing untill 14 weeks so maybe they are not quite done yet.  So dont rack your brain too hard over this.  Hope everything works out for you

tristangirl
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:54 AM

well 16w is a little early to clearly see the "parts" but I would call that place and tell them you came in and really are not happy with the visit or the hotos you got. You went secifically for the gender identity and the u/s tech didnt even show you the genitals and gave you zero pictures of the genitals. They most likely are gonna have you come back in to do it again and maybe it will be a different person. Good luck, I would call them forsure and then I would definately depand on what my doc said not them.

gradysmom2006
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:55 AM

1st - please change your font color.  It's horrible and almost impossible to read. 

2nd - my guess is the tech couldn't tell the gender for sure, but since you paid for gender confirmation she sort of sludged over it so you wouldn't demand your money back.  I would call first thing Tuesday and say you are your spouse are very unhappy with the ultrasound results and do not feel you got any real gender confirmation.  She should offer another session or a refund. 

I personally wouldn't trust a 16 week gender confirmation anyway...but I know 3d scans aren't cheap and I'd be wanting what I paid for.  Can you post your pics for us to see.

BTW - gender isn't always as cut and dry on 3d as people make it seem.  I had mine done at 28 weeks and if I didn't tell you it was a girl, would you be able to tell?

Compare to the clarity of the face:

Pregnancy ticker
jeeniegurl03
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:56 AM

That is really strange. I had an elective u/s last week and we had a basic package. She spent most of the time at the genitals because baby was hiding her face and couldn't get a good shot. She told me to come back when I was 30 weeks to get a good shot of the face. I'd be upset just as you are paying for the gender u/s and not getting it. Maybe call up there and let them know what happened and maybe you could go back up there for free.

Des10ed2b
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:56 AM

16 week ultra sound are really not very reliable in terms of proving gender, which is probably one of the reasons why they didnt give you a shot. generally they wont even tell you until at least 18 weeks, and most wont until 20, it is just too easy to confuse a cord or an enlarged clitoris at that point. I wouldnt go buying any blue just yet!

i am a proud mommy of 1 ornery 1 year old little boy and one very goofy 4 year old little girl, ive been married for 2 years, together for almost 5. fun loving, eco-friendly, creative,different strokes work for different folks, stay at home and work at home mommy!

http://www.PerfectWorkForMoms.com     http://www.HealthySafeAndClean.com

BethPrice1345
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:57 AM

16 weeks can still be an iffy time. I've always wondered why those places off gender ID at 16 wks....I guess to make more money. LOL.

My Toddler Rides Rear Facing!

amy31308
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:26 AM

Did you know the places that do these elective ultrasounds, are not always registered ultrasound techs? Anyone can buy the ultrasound machine and do it if it's just for "fun".

I had one done at 17 weeks because we wanted to find out before christmas and she did the gender shot in 2d and then the rest were in the 3d/4d. You should have asked while you paid to have it done to show you the gender more since thats what you really wanted to know but now it's too late. I would tell people you "think" it's a boy but you'll know for sure in a few weeks :)

By the way for the ones struggling to read, I had a hard time too and just highlighted it then I could read it fine.

in lovetoddler boystork

We're beating the odd's. Married and loving it! July 5, 2008
I love being his mommy! Mason- born March 13, 2008

Expecting our next blessing- Emma Lee- May 30, 2010

having a baby

jesselswick
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:34 AM

I would call and askto speak to a superivsor or someone in charge and complain. Tell them you didn't get what you paid for and you are unsatisfied. Voice your concerns and let them know that you want another session to get what you paid for. I dont understand how anyone can mistake an umbillical cord for a penis. It looks just like a turtle head pokin out!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)