Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Birth of Harlow Jade 1/7/10

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:34 AM
  • 12 Replies

I can not believe she is one week old today!  How time flies.  Last Thursday I made a post in this group about my bulging bag of water, etc.  I had a feeling labor would be soon but I did not think she would be born that day!  Looking back I should have realized, all the signs were there.  I was having pretty intense braxton hicks all day and did not think much of them because I had been feeling them for a week and they had never formed a pattern.  I was cleaning an already immaculate house all day and just running around like a mad women!  I went to Target, brought my daughter to dance, just business as normal.  At around 4:00 I had a very severe wave of nausea that lasted for about a half hour.  At that point My Husband said "We are having this baby today and She is going to come fast."  For some reason I was still not convinced.  I made my kids dinner and was totally disgusted by the sight of food so I just sat w/ them and drank some water.  My Husband left to pick up My Daughter from dance and I had a very strong contraction.  It stopped me in my tracks.  I had to breathe threw it.  Hmm, that was funny I thought.  I was expecting labor to kick in like it had w/ my other kids contractions 8-10 mins apart and totally manageable for a while.  I put my son in the shower and my daughter in the bath.  Another one.  Intensely strong w/ rectal pressure!  Now I'm thinking wow maybe today is the day.  So I check the clock and wait.  3 mins later I am breathing through another 45 sec contraction.  So I call My Husband.  He is on his way home.  I call my Mom and tell her to come over to watch the Kids.  I call My Midwife and she tells me to come whenever I am ready.  Somehow I managed to get My oldest Daughter dinner and in the shower and my other two in pjs before my Mom arrives.  My Hubbs in running around in a frenzy trying to get everything ready.  Contractions stay 3-4 mins apart lasting 45-60 secs.  We kiss the kids goodbye and head out.  I can not wait to get to the whirlpool tub.  The relief of the warm water was all I could think about.  Contractions were very intense but I have complete control between them.  My Midwife checked Me upon arrival. 5cm. +1. Bag still bulging.  She checked the baby's heart rate with the doppler.  Baby sounded great.  I breathed, rocked, and leaned on my husband through contractions.  He was so great.  Completely in the zone with me.  There in every way I needed him to be.  This is our 4th baby and I feel like every labor has just brought us closer. 

Well that first paragraph is huge!  On to the tub.  Words can not explain the intense relief the tub has brought me w/ all of my births.  It is a huge deep whirlpool tub at the birth center which is great considering I am 5'11.  As soon as I sunk into the water all the stress labor was putting on my back was washed away.  We turned on the jets.  Honestly it felt so good and I was so relaxed I thought labor had stopped.  A few minutes later I had a contraction.  The intensity was still there but I was so physically and mentally relaxed I got in my zone and just let nature take over.  I was in the tub for about a half hour when I started feeling rectal pressure.  I asked My midwife to check me.  7cm.  Now I am contracting every other minute.  At about this point I lost my control a bit.  Breathing was not enough.  i was moaning a very deep and intense moan, almost a hum.  My first midwife told me to do this w/ my first baby and it got me through a 23 hour labor.  I was no longer comfy on my back in the tub so I got on all fours and leaned over the side of the tub.  2 contractions in this position and I started to push against the pressure.  I did not say "I'm pushing" or alert anyone I was going to I just pushed through the contraction because it felt right.  My husband was massaging my back and he noticed me tensing up so he alerted my midwife that I was pushing and once I started pushing there is no stopping me.  At this point I did not want to be on all fours.  I was so hot all of the sudden and I knew I wanted to squat or sit up and bear down.  So I quickly got out of the tub and back to the bed.  My midwife asked if she could check me before I continued to push.  I said yes.  She told me I was still 7cm.  I said well I'm pushing!  No one was going to stop me.  I had to push this baby out.  My midwife asked if she could break my bag of water.  At this point I knew if she broke it I would push Baby out faster.  I said go ahead.  As soon as she did I felt a contraction.  She was there.  Her head had dropped down.  With the next contraction she crowned and with he next contraction one shoulder was out.  I remember at this point screaming "get Her out!!"  Next contraction she was delivered and on my chest. 

Harlow Jade weighs 9lbs 2oz.  She is 20 in long.  She has a full head of hair.  She is so precious.  I swear it just gets more and more special w/ every baby we have.   It's funny how labor can be so intense and painful but the minute your baby is born you forget about all of the pain. I had a beautiful labor and birth.  I am so happy.  My Midwife was so supportave.  I would do it over again in a minute.  That's the crazy part.  As much as I was impatient and anxious to have the baby in the last few weeks now that she is here I sort of miss being pregnant.

Harlow is nursing like a champ.  She lost a few ounces and is already back to her birth weight at 7 days old.  Unfortunately we had to spend a few days in the special care nursery at the hospital because Harlow had severe jaundice.  She is my second jaundice baby and it gets worse w/ each jaundiced baby.  Her Bili reuben levels were very high so she had to spend a few days under the lights.  I stayed with her.  It was hard to see her with the little felt goggles on under the lights but i knew it was for her own good.  I have type o- blood and she is A+ so i am lucky her levels dropped as quick as they did since they went up 10 points in her first day of life.  That is all behind us now!  We are home and happy to be here.  My two year old is having a rough time not being the baby anymore and all my kids have strep throat so things have been pretty crazy around here but I guess crazy is the way of life when you have four kids right?

Well I have only loaded a few pics of Harlow.  No time.  This one was taken when we were still in the hospital.  She had little sticky tabs on her temples to hold the felt goggles over her eyes.  Poor baby.

Baby Harlow Jade 5 days old today. by you.
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gabesmom118
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:37 AM

She's precious!  Congratulations!

sjump25
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:53 AM
What a gorgeous baby!! Her color is beautiful and that hair is so cute! I love love the name too. Congrats, Momma!
CafeMom Tickers
jamiesmom1
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:03 AM
She is beautiful! Congrats!

rosemissy
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 12:10 PM

She is beautiful and thank you so much for your birth story!!!! 

Missy

LANDENSMOMMYlmk
by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 9:14 AM

What a beautiful little girl! I loved reading your birth story, I felt like I was reading a book your really good at telling the story lol. I too know how it is to have a severe jondice baby because we spent x-mas eve and x-mas day over night in the nicu because of how bad our sons jondice was. Landen is our only child atleast for the next few months and so it was really hard on my husband and I to bring our baby home right after birth and then have to return him again to the hospital and watch him be poked in the foot a million times and have the mask covering his beautiful little eyes and not to be able to hold him unless I nursed or to change his diaper. I spent those two extremely long days crying and crying and my husband finally broke down which has never happend in the 6 yrs I had been with him. I prey that our little girl does not have to go through the same thing and that she is 100% healthy. Congragulations to you sweetie and glad to hear all of you are back home :)

Mena929
by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 9:21 AM

A beautiful birth story for an amazingly beautiful little girl! Congrats to you and your family!

Leeann3110
by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 11:11 AM

Congrats to you and your family. 

Firsttimemom252
by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 12:10 PM

Congrats! She a cutie

CafeMom Tickers
meam4444
by Emerald Member on Jan. 21, 2010 at 2:15 PM

what a great birth story.  i love seeing how you listened to your body so well in labor.  you have a lovely little girl.  congrats momma!

JennaFoix
by on Jan. 21, 2010 at 3:16 PM

what a beautifull picture of your little one. Shes gorgeous and her nose looks alot like my daughters!!

Congrats!!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)