Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Just found out hubby's opinion...

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 12:01 PM
  • 12 Replies

On breastfeeding! I knew he didn't really care what i decided to do. With our DD, it didn't phase him. Well, except when he walked in on me pumping, and the first night back from the hospital and my milk came in, and he woke up in a huge puddle of milk. (I was a super lactator lol). But he's never expressed an opinion either way. I thought he just didn't care either way. (he liked the fact that we weren't paying for formula though.)

But, he read some article about formula and BFing. Apparently, this article said that formula was as good as, or even better than BFing. BFing provided no more benefits than formula feeding. And in fact, FF was even BETTER than BFing. Say what??? Please don't ask for a link. Hubby doesn't remember where the article was, and i can't find it.

So, after he read that article, hubby does as he usually does. Start ranting. For 30 minutes. He thought it was the stupidest thing he'd ever heard. So we've been feeding our babies wrong for thousands of years?? The process of evolution to give women breasts and have them create milk with them to create the perfect food that changes with the baby's needs was wrong? We should all spend our money and buy overpriced formula because it's better than what is naturally produced? He went on and on and on. I guess he's a supporter of BFing. I never knew he had an opinion either way. Kinda cool.

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 12:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BlessedToBMommy
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 12:04 PM

lol Thats cute!!! Thats like when his friend was all like " I'd never let my wife breastfeed" and my hubby went on and on about the benefits and he found it great and all!

Cafemomsiggy.png cafe mom siggy picture by krystal56789_bucket

Tired of Censorship?? Claim your freedom come join us!

http://cafemom.com/group/oldtimerspromenade

cw78
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 12:05 PM
KendraCay
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 12:06 PM

Wow, thats cool. My DH is like yours, I'm not sure what he thinks about it. But he goes along with what I say is good for babies, since he's never even held one. =) Yay for supportive hubys!!

Lilypie Maternity tickers

gregory2
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 12:28 PM

Awe, thats really sweet!

K.a.C.87
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 12:28 PM

haha thats funny because that is my sisters way of thinking! LOL she has NO INFO on breastfeeding and says that FF is just as good, IF NOT BETTER then breastfeeding because with breastfeeding it is recomended you give the vitamin tri-vi-sol and with formula its already in there.

Quoting SandraJo:

On breastfeeding! I knew he didn't really care what i decided to do. With our DD, it didn't phase him. Well, except when he walked in on me pumping, and the first night back from the hospital and my milk came in, and he woke up in a huge puddle of milk. (I was a super lactator lol). But he's never expressed an opinion either way. I thought he just didn't care either way. (he liked the fact that we weren't paying for formula though.)

But, he read some article about formula and BFing. Apparently, this article said that formula was as good as, or even better than BFing. BFing provided no more benefits than formula feeding. And in fact, FF was even BETTER than BFing. Say what??? Please don't ask for a link. Hubby doesn't remember where the article was, and i can't find it.

So, after he read that article, hubby does as he usually does. Start ranting. For 30 minutes. He thought it was the stupidest thing he'd ever heard. So we've been feeding our babies wrong for thousands of years?? The process of evolution to give women breasts and have them create milk with them to create the perfect food that changes with the baby's needs was wrong? We should all spend our money and buy overpriced formula because it's better than what is naturally produced? He went on and on and on. I guess he's a supporter of BFing. I never knew he had an opinion either way. Kinda cool.

I am a 22 year old Wisconsin mama to my precious daughter, Eliahna Maree, loving fiance to lee, pregnant with our little boy!! (1.26.10) Bryant Allyn. (trying to have successful VBAC), Disposible diapering, ERFing, breastfeeding, NON-CIO, Vaxing mommy turned to NON-VAXing!

martat
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 12:34 PM

Mine has always been quite about my choice to BF also then  one of our neighbors was complaining about the cost of formula he told them they were crazy to buy it that stuff.  I just laughed at him.

sissychristi
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 12:35 PM

That is awesome! My SO fully expects me to breastfeed for at least a year. He knows it is best and does not like the idea of me giving our baby the chemicals in formula.

He works for British Petrolium and as a result has studies chemicals, how they are in their raw forms, what they are commonly used for, and their long-term effects. So, he is fully aware of what a lot of those chemicals are and says they are not food.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

sparklebug86
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 12:38 PM

Same with my DH but I was one of the unforunate few that couldnt BF. Oh well :(

Quoting sissychristi:

That is awesome! My SO fully expects me to breastfeed for at least a year. He knows it is best and does not like the idea of me giving our baby the chemicals in formula.

He works for British Petrolium and as a result has studies chemicals, how they are in their raw forms, what they are commonly used for, and their long-term effects. So, he is fully aware of what a lot of those chemicals are and says they are not food.

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
Allebas
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 12:47 PM

I bet you ANYTHING that the article your DH read was paid for by a formula manufacturer!!!! I KNOW for a FACT that BF'ing is BETTER for your baby from talking to my Pediatrician!! He told me that he can tell WITHOUT even looking at a Patients chart whether they are bf'd or not!! He said the FF babies come to him ATLEAST twice per month with an illness!! The bf'ing babies he says RARELY EVER come in except for their well-baby check-ups, PERIOD!!!! My DD will be 2-years-old this month!! She has ONLY been to the Pediatrician TWICE (besides her well-baby check-ups!!) The first time, was just to check her weight (she was a small baby, and the Dr. just wanted to be SURE she was gaining enough weight!) She gained 8 OUNCES in 6 days on MY breast milk!!!! The Dr. was VERY SURPRISED that she gained THAT MUCH WITHOUT ANY formula!!!! The other time I had to take her in (that was NOT a well-baby check up), she had a REALLY BAD diaper rash!!! It would NOT go away with ANY over-the-counter stuff!! He gave us a prescription cream that worked pretty good. My DD was EXCLUSIVELY BF'd NEVER ONCE had a drop of formula for 17 1/2 months!!! (She chose to stop the BF'ing!! NOT ME!! She has NEVER had an ear infection, NEVER had any illness more than the common cold!! Even with that, it only lasts a few days, and she's FINE!! Never even had a fever!!!

I think the formula manufacturers realize that a LARGER and LARGER percentage of mom's are choosing breastfeeding over formula, and they are (OF COURSE), losing MILLIONS b/c of it!!!

ALL FIVE of my VERY HEALTHY kids are ALL the PROOF I NEED that BF'ing is BEST!!!! I don't care what anyone says!!! You cannot improve on what NATURE intended!!!

By the way, have any of you ever tasted baby formula???? BLECK!!! I did taste a VERY, VERY SMALL amount--we are talking LESS than 1/2 a tsp!!! HOLY CRAP!!! WHY ANYONE would CHOOSE to give their baby that NASTY ASS tasting JUNK is BEYOND ME!! (Of course, I am NOT meaning those women who CANNOT physically bf'd!! I am talking about those women who COULD BF'd, but choose the OVER-PRICED formula instead!!!)

doulala
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 1:43 PM

Sorry, I can't help but to ask, anyway:
WHERE did he find that article???  
With his perspective, I would guess it was more than just a little ad in a magazine...   But I wish he knew.    (It was likely a Nestle sponsored article or something.)

How DARE Mother Nature question SCIENCE!       ~Mike Tymeson

The impossible is often the untried.       ~Jim Goodwin

Women's bodies have their own wisdom, and a system of birth refined over 100,000 generations is not so easily overpowered.      ~Sarah Buckley

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)