Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stress??

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 12:20 PM
  • 6 Replies

So we were not expecting to become pregnant, and we had no money in savings at all...we are absolutely thrilled to be expecting, but it just seems like money keeps getting tighter and tighter and our baby girl isn't even here yet. We don't have anyone we can borrow from, and my work just keeps cutting down my hours. My husband has a good job with good insurance, but it just doesn't pay worth a darn. I'm constantly worried about how we're going to pay for rent, keep the power on, keep our cars insured, etc...and above all, worried about how we are going to eat. We applied for food stamps, but haven't heard anything out of them yet (apparently we make 'too much' to qualify for emergency aid). I know that stress is bad when you are pregnant, or at least I've heard it...but how on earth can I keep from stressing out so bad when I don't know if we'll be able to keep the power on? How bad is stress, truly? I mean, I'm not in a ball on the floor crying and screaming or anything, but it's ALWAYS on my mind, and I'm always trying to figure out what we can sell or pawn to make money (unfortunatly, we're pretty much down to the point where we don't have anything else to sell). Anyways, my point is (after much venting), how much stress is 'too much stress'? On top of all the finances, I really don't want to have to worry about my stress affecting the baby, after all...that just makes it worse!! Can mental stress (not physical) hurt my baby?

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 12:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
boxergirl86
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 12:28 PM

Wow, I am in the same situation as u and it really isnt doing me any good. The more I worry the more stressed out I get, then I get angry and me n hubby end up fighting. It is really taking a toll on my health. I am in the process of trying to sell our car, that is how much we need the money and our baby girl will be here in less than 2 weeks. Plus we have a 7yr old and a 5 yr old. It's cuz of the recession that hubby's hours are getting cut and he can't find another job. I had a high risk pregnancy and couldn't work, I tried but ended up fainting at work a few times. A lot of ppl are doing whatever they can to make ends meet. It is frustrating and feels like too much to handle. I just think that my baby will be here and focusing on her will help me get through it. It will all work out in the end.

CafeMom Tickers
lissalynn83
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 4:11 PM

I totally understand what you're saying...I'm trying to just focus on the baby and that keeps me a little happier and keeps my mind off of things. But it's just so hard to make ends meet these days...my has steadily cut my hours since finding out about my pregnancy (I don't think it was on purpse though, it's just slow up there) and since I'm showing pretty good these days, it would be hard for me to find another job. Ugh. Stupid economy.

CafeMom Tickers
Lbluv20
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 4:15 PM

You can apply for WIC. That will defenitly help out.  

babonwy
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 4:26 PM

Well...

Stressing is not going to do anything but make matters worse, I doubt you will have bad complications for stress...EVERYONE stresses..

Have you checked out any of the groups on Cafemom about being frugal?...I thought I was penny pinching, then I joined a few of those groups!

You would be suprised how far you can stretch a dollar!...I just bought enough baby clothes to keep this baby stocked for just about 10$....While they where bought at a Salvation army, most had tags!(from stores like the Childrens place and Gymboree)...and they ALL look BRAND new, I was showing family and they scorned me for going on such a shopping spree LOL!...Their Jaws hit the floor when I told them the price I payed!

Wife to Shawn, Mom to Chassidy(5), Nova(2) and Lucian (coming in feb.)

lissalynn83
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 4:35 PM

I have an appointment with WIC to see if we qualify, but they couldn't get us in until February. So I'm holding out hope on that one!!! But WIC doesn't really pay for much, do they? No matter, I'm sure it will still help out.

I didn't know there were any frugal groups!! I'll go look for them. My biggest problem is that I might have gestational diabetes (failed the first glucose test, going back for my three hour test on Friday) and my doctor wants me to eat low carb. Well...seems everything I see that is cheap is high carb!! Apparently eating low carb is more expensive than I though.

CafeMom Tickers
babonwy
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 4:49 PM

Quoting lissalynn83:

I have an appointment with WIC to see if we qualify, but they couldn't get us in until February. So I'm holding out hope on that one!!! But WIC doesn't really pay for much, do they? No matter, I'm sure it will still help out.

I didn't know there were any frugal groups!! I'll go look for them. My biggest problem is that I might have gestational diabetes (failed the first glucose test, going back for my three hour test on Friday) and my doctor wants me to eat low carb. Well...seems everything I see that is cheap is high carb!! Apparently eating low carb is more expensive than I though.

well...I dont know much about low carb...but I would be at least a few of the moms in those groups would know!

We started trying to live frugal when my husband was laid off (Last feb)...and you would have never known we where on Unemployment!....We had so much fun last year...and best of all you dont cringe while paying for everything...Its exciting really, seeing how much we can save!

Wife to Shawn, Mom to Chassidy(5), Nova(2) and Lucian (coming in feb.)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)