Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

For moms who have breastfed in the past

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 2:31 PM
  • 9 Replies
So i nursed my dd till she was 13mths.for the first 2mths every time she latched on it was the single most painful thing i have ever expiernced in my life.is that normal? im asking so i know to expect it with this one or not

~JESSICA -LOVING WIFE TO JOEL & MOMMY TO 1 WILD LIL GIRL~1 SWEET LIL BOY~& 5 ANGELS IN HEAVEN

Lilypie Maternity tickers
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 2:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
kara_g.
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 2:34 PM

That is atypical. It only hurt the first maybe three days for me. Then it never did again.

Ati_13
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 2:34 PM

NO!! Nursing should never be that painful.  A lot of women experience some tenderness at first, kinda toe-curling but it should go away in the first few seconds of nursing and it should completely disappear by 2 weeks.  Sounds like your baby had a poor latch that corrected itself.  If you have pain this time, see a lactation consultant (not a doctor).

angelsusie
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 2:35 PM

I have BFed 3 babies and I think the first baby was the hardest to BF for one I didn't know what I was doing and was not putting it in his mouth right but on the second and third baby I didn't hurt at all when I started BFing them.

First_One_8_18
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 2:35 PM

What she said

Quoting Ati_13:

NO!! Nursing should never be that painful.  A lot of women experience some tenderness at first, kinda toe-curling but it should go away in the first few seconds of nursing and it should completely disappear by 2 weeks.  Sounds like your baby had a poor latch that corrected itself.  If you have pain this time, see a lactation consultant (not a doctor).

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.” ~Mahatma Ghandi

ElijahsMom211
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2010 at 2:41 PM

Apparently it isn't but I wouldn't know b/c I had the same problem you did (tho I think some of it was when my uterus was contracting). Good for you for sticking it out! I caved and didn't. I'm hoping to this time though.

Sportbominable
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 2:42 PM

I have breastfed 4 children and am currently breastfeeding baby #5. The same thing happened to me with every child. It was always painful for me for the first 2 months. I also always get mastitis at least once in the beginning. My OBGYN said I'm prone to them. Painful nursing does not always mean a poor latch, but you should check that first. My problem was sensitive breasts and very large breasts. When the baby's mouth got bigger, I stopped being in pain. It was impossible for my kids to get their mouths on the spot they were suppose to be to avoid painful nursing. Luckily with my last 3 children I was on good pain meds for c-sections and they blocked the pain from the nursing.

HAVE A BLESSED CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR!

doulala
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 2:47 PM

No, sounds like something was "off".   A lactation consultant should really help you out.

Best wishes!

Just as a woman’s heart knows,

How and when to pump,

Her lungs to inhale,

And her hand to pull back from fire,

So she knows when and how to give birth.

- Virginia Di

ICAN

mnt_2_b_mommy
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 2:48 PM

I never experienced any pain or really any issues at all with breastfeeding. My son latched on perfectly from the start and was a great nurser. If you have pain or discomfort passed the first few days of nursing (where you and the baby are both learning) then it's a good idea to see a LC about it. It's probably an improper latch or ineffective suck and both should be addressed. Good luck this time around! It is great that your bad experience with your first didn't deter you from continuing to BF!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
mommy2xp
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 2:57 PM

i had pain the first couple weeks because of cracked nipples but lanolin made it better and it was just the first few secs of nursing.  ur latch may have been off or something.  while ur in the hospital have a lactation consulatant come in and check to make sure everything is correct. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)