Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I know it's early, but can't help buying clothes! How much do I need? Any advice?

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 3:34 PM
  • 6 Replies

So I know it's early since I'm only just ending my first trimester, but I can't help but buy cute little outfits already. I was just wondering if any of you out there had any advice as to how much we should have to be prepared. We aren't planning on finding out the sex (DH really wants it to be a surprise, and I don't want to know to keep it a surprise...I would totally blow it if I knew) so we've been trying to find pretty gender neutral stuff. We've gotten about 15 or so outfits so far, a few short sleeved, no legs onsies but mostly long sleeved, footy onsies which is tough for FL is August, our due date month, but at the same time, I assume it's better to make sure they're warm anyway since they have so little body fat and I know I will definitely be needing AC as much as possible. I assume that first week or so after the birth is going to be difficult to get out and shop, so I am hoping to find out just how many clothes we should have to be prepared for that week (since I am also assuming we will go through several outfits a day). Also, I'm not really sure what we're planning as far as baby showers since I know in his religious tradition it's not usually done before the birth out of superstition, so I don't know if we'll be getting clothes from other people as well. What do you other mommies out there recommend? Help!

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 3:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Lbluv20
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 4:12 PM

Honestly i think 15 gender neutral outfits is plenty! as soon as you konw youll want to ditch the neutral anyway, cause you will spot cute stuff to go with the gender. I had a c section with my son and went to walmart a few time the first week lol. Youd be suprised what you can do. Also, if you have access to a washer and dryer, 15 is more then enough because you will be able to wash and rewear until you can get to the stores. Id save the cash for when the babies born so you can splurge on him/her then. It is hard to not buy clothes though. Im having a girl, and its insane the temptation out there lol

sparklebug86
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 4:12 PM

Honestly, dont go overboard. I bought a ton of outfits with my son and he didnt wear half of them! They wont go through as many outfits as you think. My son wore one outfit a day and unless we left the house, they were onesies.

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
UMiamiChick5683
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 4:16 PM

Thanks! I think this will be it then. I feel better knowing that's enough. I also forgot to mention that this is my first so I'm just really confused and want to be super prepared. I'm a total procrastinator and would hate to wake up and realize the baby's born and we don't have everything! LOL

kltaylor07
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 4:17 PM

i'm guess i'm opposite of previous posters, we needed LOTS!  ha.  my son was constantly peeing through his diaper (until i realized to point him DOWN), spitting up, milk dripping down onto his clothes (when he was bottle fed).  i was CONSTANTLY changing his clothes.  plus, i wasn't getting around to laundry as much as usual so i was glad i had plenty of clothes.   

Lbluv20
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 4:24 PM

Quoting kltaylor07:

i'm guess i'm opposite of previous posters, we needed LOTS!  ha.  my son was constantly peeing through his diaper (until i realized to point him DOWN), spitting up, milk dripping down onto his clothes (when he was bottle fed).  i was CONSTANTLY changing his clothes.  plus, i wasn't getting around to laundry as much as usual so i was glad i had plenty of clothes.   

I totally agree that you need plenty, but not nessisarily gender neutral. My son was a spitter to, he wore 3-4 outfits and bibs a day if not more lol. but i knew he was a boy before he was born. The OP doesnt know, so tons of neutral stuff is what i am saying she doesnt need alot of. But yes, if you are blessed with a spitter or exploder, havng alot to change them with comes in handy lol

mamawolf1103
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 5:11 PM

I would stop ith 15. My In laws and parents both went and got us girl clothes while we were still in the hospital and my nuetral stuff barely was used because I wanted her to look girly. Luckily with this baby I kept all the neutral stuff and don't really have to buy anything. I will buy more after he or she is born and I can pick out cute non neutral stuff.

Lilypie Maternity tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)