Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you feel about Spanking?

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 4:18 PM
  • 141 Replies

Poll

Question: How do you feel about spankings?

Options:

I'm ok with it, but just not for me.

Parent who spank should go to jail!

Spank the little brats!

If they really deserve it...

Not sure, depends on the situation.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 264

View Results

So I know most of us grew up with this type of punishment when we were naughty.  We would have to sit in the corner and at times get an old fashion butt whooping.  In todays society there is now a very thin line between spankings and child abuse.(which imo is good and bad for some parents.) But at times I wonder if that is what is wrong with some kids today.

So my question is....  How do you feel about spankings and are you going to use this as a form of discipline in your home?  Why or why not?

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 4:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SugaMomma87
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 4:21 PM

I have seen 1 too many kids in store throwing fits when they are 8 years old for this not to be the parents faults.  I understand the limits of this punishments and know that it should not be taken lightly, but in a situation like this, the kid is making a scene to get what they want and should be delt with.  It drives me crazy to see a parent just standing there watching saying I'm going to give you to the count of three.... 1.....2....21/2......2 3/4....... 3. and then nothing happens, who is supposed to be the parent?

ElijahsMom211
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2010 at 4:25 PM

In that instance I don't think the child should be spanked.. I think the parent should grab the child (either by the hand or altogether) and leave.. Teach the child that by throwing a fit, they aren't going to get what they want. I think spankings should be reserved for something that is terrible (tho I can't think of any instance right now). Sometimes time-out's don't work and neither does talking to them but if you feel it's best to try those first, do it! And when they STILL do it, THEN spank them..

Quoting SugaMomma87:

I have seen 1 too many kids in store throwing fits when they are 8 years old for this not to be the parents faults.  I understand the limits of this punishments and know that it should not be taken lightly, but in a situation like this, the kid is making a scene to get what they want and should be delt with.  It drives me crazy to see a parent just standing there watching saying I'm going to give you to the count of three.... 1.....2....21/2......2 3/4....... 3. and then nothing happens, who is supposed to be the parent?

sweetjessa
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 4:27 PM

As a mom of 2 other kids besides the one on the way let me tell you something when your kid is making a scene in the store all you can really do is count what are you suppose to do drop there pants and beat there butts I think NOT have you seen the news have you seen how many parents are losing the child they are in love with because of discipline unless you have it happen to you don't judge you have no idea and it will happen to you and you will have no idea what to do at that moment I had it happen all the time with my oldest and at the time no one knew he was autistic people just judged ..I am sorry but your post really set me on edge you have no idea and as I see from your profile you have no kids yet . WAIT YOUR DAY IS COMING ! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Quoting SugaMomma87:

Pregnancy ticker
mommyziegler
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2010 at 4:27 PM

i spank my dd but not in public because to many people are judgemental and just assume i'm beating my child.

CafeMom Tickers

toddler girl                                 in love                               its a boy

Summer Lynne born 4-22-08    Holly and John married 10-28-07    Baby boy due June 2, 2010

AnaMaria624
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 4:30 PM

I do not and will not ever spank. I also dont believe just because you spank you will have respectful children. The only people I know around me that spank are pretty trashy. From my point of view weather they spank or not...there children are not going to be any better off. I find that most people that do spank have disrespectful children....they will grow up and treat there children the same way. Im not saying all people are like this. But my experience with spanking mothers have not been positive in anyway. Most of the times...its not just spanking....it can be "cracking on the hands, face." Thats not my cup of tea I guess. I was spanked my husband wasnt. Both my husband and his sister are very successful in life. Im a stay at home mom....with no assistance and my husband makes a good paycheck. He travels and speaks for the company often. On the other hand my younger brother dropped out of school and is in the juvenile system. Thankfully he doesnt have any children yet. Im not saying that spaking will lead to this...But there are plenty of other ways to teach children right from wrong with out laying a finger on them. It takes time and patiences. Time outs work great in my house...its all about consistency. Your child can not grow up "in the real world" spanking people who are not obeying he/she. Its words....thats how we all communicate in the "real world." Pretty much I think spanking installs fear of the parent..not really teaching them right from wrong. It may teach them if they do that again my mom and dad will spank me.

I am Santana and 23. I have a little girl Hannah(9/9/07) and a little boy Jameson(3/23/09). I am married to the father of my children, high school graduate (some college), exclusively breastfeeding, baby wearing, extended rear facing, vaccinating, non circumcising, disposable diaper using, non spanking, attached parenting, home owning, stay at home mommy!
Lilypie - (eoHD)
Lilypie - (Zc24)
Lilypie - (K4eM)

nicki.hemingway
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2010 at 4:30 PM

I was spanked as a kid, but I am unsure what I will do when my little one misbehaves. I think that with some kids it can be effective as long as they understand that the spanking is because they did something wrong and that other discipline means are proven ineffective first.  I think that spanking is good but should not be a first choice.

-tanya-
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 4:34 PM

I think spanking is one of the best forms of discpline, if used correctly. Yes, we spank our 2 yr old. 

XenaBeth
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 4:36 PM

I agree with you. My plan of action with very young kids, I think they need to understand what they did wrong the first time, get down on their level and talk to them, let them understand that it is unacceptable and the next time they will sit in isolation. (of course you KNOW it will happen again) But once they reach around 4, 5 or 6 (depending on the maturity and reasoning ability of the child) and they try to use tantrums to get their way, I wont be afraid to spank them AND put them in isolation.

Also, taking things from them as punishment works pretty well, if they have a TV in their room or game system, take it and lock it in your room until a pre-determined time.

Personally I grew up with a father that used belts and a mother who slapped you pretty hard in the face, or even broke some of my personal stuff in front of me, I think this is too much.

I hate the fact that parents are afraid to discipline their kids in fear of someone reporting them simply because that person doesn't believe it it.

CafeMom Tickers

Gender Prediction

ElijahsMom211
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2010 at 4:36 PM

I don't spank my 2yo b/c time-outs have worked so far. I also am not sure that he'd understand the reason why he was being spanked. Now, when he's a little older and the time-outs have proven ineffective, then yes I will consider spanking him.. But not while we have a "punishment" that works.

Quoting -tanya-:

I think spanking is one of the best forms of discpline, if used correctly. Yes, we spank our 2 yr old. 

Pandapanda
by Amber on Jan. 18, 2010 at 4:38 PM

I only got spanked a hanful of times, and it always worked. When I was a kid, we lived in a bad neighborhood where drug deals would go on in front of our home and the road was busy.. I walked out of the yard one day and my mom spanked me. I never did it again. I once called my mom a bitch for not buying me what I wanted at the store, she spanked me and it HURT but I never did it again. I slung an entire plate of food on the floor because I wasn't ready to eat yet.. I got spanked AND had to clean it up.

Spanking is okay, if it isn't a regular punishment. Save it for the bad things or extreme situations (like running out in a busy road while a crack deal is going on outside your home after being told 289347 times not to do it).

My sister and I were both spanked. My mom never dropped our pants, she'd turn us around and pop us once or twice on the butt. It never really hurt, but the sound scared us and it was embarassing enough for us to never do whatever again.

I don't agree with people who use belts, branches, or other objects to BEAT their children. I get extremely angry when I hear someone say "when we get home im getting my belt and whooping your ass" to a screaming, fearful child. A pop or two on the butt is a lot different than beating your kid. A girl in my class when I was in 4th grade ran away and ended up raped and murdered; she ran away because she got a bad grade on her report card and was terrified to go home.

CafeMom Tickers

Due in July 2010? Join us here:

http://www.cafemom.com/group/108462

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)