Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Losing weight after birth?

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 4:36 PM
  • 14 Replies

Okay, I need everyone's honest opinion...I am getting married 6 months after I have my baby. I know I can't start REALLY excercising until 2 months after I have my baby. So...my question is...(oh and i will be breastfeeding...so that's a plus) how fast do you think I will lose weight after I have my baby?

I know i will be REALLY tired and not sleeping much but I plan on taking at least 1 long walk every day probably after about 3 weeks of having the baby. and then i'm thinking about joining a gym once i hit the 2 month mark after I have the baby.

any helpful pointers or advice??? how fast did you lose your weight after the baby while breastfeeding???

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 4:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rileysmommy229
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 4:38 PM

i breastfed (exclusively) and lost every bit of the 45 pounds i gained in 3 months, NO EXCERCISE!

Quoting onlyjamesgirl:

Okay, I need everyone's honest opinion...I am getting married 6 months after I have my baby. I know I can't start REALLY excercising until 2 months after I have my baby. So...my question is...(oh and i will be breastfeeding...so that's a plus) how fast do you think I will lose weight after I have my baby?

I know i will be REALLY tired and not sleeping much but I plan on taking at least 1 long walk every day probably after about 3 weeks of having the baby. and then i'm thinking about joining a gym once i hit the 2 month mark after I have the baby.

any helpful pointers or advice??? how fast did you lose your weight after the baby while breastfeeding???

Daisymae6
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 4:54 PM

that depends on so many things... metabolism is the biggest. I had my 4th baby 5.5 months ago and i'm 5 pounds from my pre-[regnancy weight of 120... i delivered at 167. we are breastfeeding and i think that it helps.... other than that just eat right and drink a lot of water.... maybe start walking right away.   honestly... i haven't done any of those things and my weight just falls off every time...i'd like to do some running and exercise to tone up but i'm lazy. good luck... if you set your mind to it you can do it. :)

Daisy

myspace layouts, myspace codes, glitter graphics  myspace layouts, myspace codes, glitter graphics 
   11.gif bfing and pregnancy image by myspacekitkat 

Misery_Stitches
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 5:02 PM

As PP said - it depends alot on a variety of things such as metabolism.

I breastfed for a year, walked everywhere as I dont have a car, didnt eat too badly at all... but never lost ANY weight. infact I kept gaining. Before pregnancy I had an awesome metabolism, but for some reason, getting pregnant changed that. For me to actually loose weight I have to do atleast 2 hours of strenuous exercise every day or two. My body is used to me walking etc so it doesnt do anything towards weightloss for me.

pregnancy due date
onlyjamesgirl
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 5:09 PM

Quoting onlyjamesgirl:

Thank you everyone who has responded so far...I really appreciate it! I was a gym enthusiast before I got preggo but then my first trimester kept me from working out because I was WAY too tired all the time. But then it got to the point where it was too late to pick up where I left off and I didn't have motivation to do all the prenatal exercises.

I'm 26 weeks now and I, for the most part at least, stopped eating out and eating sweets...now i'm eating a salad every day at lunch and eating pretty well for the most part. I'm 5.2 and about 160 now...so a little on the chunky side. I'm pretty confident that I'll lose a good deal of weight after the baby but I'm just curious how fast other women lost their weight. I'd like to join a gym after I have the baby so I can do some muscle toning since muscle is that burns fat...we'll see.

rockinmomto2
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 5:14 PM

It really depends on you and your daily life. With my first two, I kept on about 40 extra lbs no matter how hard I tried. It just wouldn't come off. This time, though (I just had my 3rd a little over 6 weeks ago), all my pregnancy weight is gone, and I've lost another 5 lbs or so. But I barely have time to eat right now, let alone eat massive amounts of food or excercise. I think that if you have a good metabolism, you get back into excercising, and you eat right, you should be fine. Good luck! 

Follow me on my blog A Year of Gratitude http://ayearofgratitude2010.blogspot.com/

KITTYCAT1
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 5:16 PM

I gained 29 lbs with my first and I was 20 lbs down by week two. The rest came off within a month. She was FF. I gained 27 lbs with my second and I was 20 lbs down by week two. She was BF. I lost the rest within 3 weeks. I wasn't working out, it just came off. If you gain 25-35 lbs it should come off pretty quickly. The first 20 lbs is baby, blood volume, water retention, uterus, etc. My advice would be to go for short walks at first and gradually increase your time/distance. You don't want to overdo it in the first 6 weeks because it will slow your recovery time. Also, try to watch what you eat and you should be fine.

OliviasMomme
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 5:17 PM

I lost the 40 lbs I gained with my daughter probably within a month, month and a half but Idid't get any shape back for probably 5 months, I just stayed kindof soft everywhere.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Maternity tickers
sissychristi
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 5:18 PM

Staying fit during pregnancy will help you recover after delivery. Even if you can't do the gym, there are plenty of pregnancy workout dvds on Amazon you can buy. The workouts are shorter and not nearly as strenuous as a regular workout, and the moves are designed to be easy for pregnant women.

I am currently doing 20 minutes of pregnancy cardio a day and am so happy about it.

Plus, staying fir during pregnancy will build our endurance and help you get through labor easier. 

Quoting onlyjamesgirl:

Quoting onlyjamesgirl:

Thank you everyone who has responded so far...I really appreciate it! I was a gym enthusiast before I got preggo but then my first trimester kept me from working out because I was WAY too tired all the time. But then it got to the point where it was too late to pick up where I left off and I didn't have motivation to do all the prenatal exercises.

I'm 26 weeks now and I, for the most part at least, stopped eating out and eating sweets...now i'm eating a salad every day at lunch and eating pretty well for the most part. I'm 5.2 and about 160 now...so a little on the chunky side. I'm pretty confident that I'll lose a good deal of weight after the baby but I'm just curious how fast other women lost their weight. I'd like to join a gym after I have the baby so I can do some muscle toning since muscle is that burns fat...we'll see.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Lbluv20
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 5:22 PM

I suggest joing weight watchers. They have a plan for breastfeeding mothers. That along with excersize, i dont see why you couldnt loose all the baby weight.

Alejandra10
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 5:24 PM

after i had my son it was really hard for me to loose weight but what i can tell u is try to set goals that you can reach try to not over stress urself because it only makes it harder but i think with the wedding and everything you will have enouph encouragment and that will make it easier for you try setting short term goals that you can reach and you can even excersice with your baby to so you guys can spend time together and it helps you

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)