Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Money saving tips?

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 6:03 PM
  • 13 Replies

Seems like so many of us are experiencing the crunch of the economy, are having hours cut, losing jobs, etc.

So, lets all share ways we are saving money and cutting costs. Maybe we can help each other out.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 6:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sissychristi
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 6:11 PM

Here are a couple ways to cut costs.

1. Breastfeed. Formula is expensive.

2. Turn the heat down at night.

3. Do you need 400 channels? Downgrade your cable package.

4. How many left over cell phone minutes do you have each month? Find a cheaper plan if you don't go over your minutes.

5. Cook all your meals at home.

6. If you go out to eat, don't buy beverages.

7. Cloth diaper. Over 2 years you could save over $2,000.

8. Shop at thrift stores and consign used clothing.

Schleetle
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 6:15 PM

I agree with Breastfeeding (if possible for mom), and cloth diapers both have saved me so much money. I have fuzzibunz diapers they are just as easy as disposables, and a whole lot softer on the baby. Look at the clearance racks for baby clothes at the end of the season - Kohl's has a lot of nice Carter's stuff on clearance. Also when baby is ready make baby food at home with a food processor its fun, and easy. Sign up for baby coupons most diaper company websites have a list to sign up on, and grocery stores sometimes have special baby club coupon lists too.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

CafeMom Tickers

sissychristi
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 6:21 PM

Making baby food is a great way to save money. Baby food jars can sell from $0.75-$1.99 each. If your baby eats a whole jar at each meal, it adds up fast. Especially when they get older and eat more.

Quoting Schleetle:

I agree with Breastfeeding (if possible for mom), and cloth diapers both have saved me so much money. I have fuzzibunz diapers they are just as easy as disposables, and a whole lot softer on the baby. Look at the clearance racks for baby clothes at the end of the season - Kohl's has a lot of nice Carter's stuff on clearance. Also when baby is ready make baby food at home with a food processor its fun, and easy. Sign up for baby coupons most diaper company websites have a list to sign up on, and grocery stores sometimes have special baby club coupon lists too.

jamiesmom1
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 6:28 PM

I make my own baby wipes from paper towels, water, rubbing alcohol, baby oil and baby wash. They work perfect.

I also make my own laundry soap. The supplies I need for it cost about 8.00 and I can make a 3-5 month supply with that. (If anyone wants the recpie just message me!)

I use Cellfire.com to electronically load grocery store coupons onto my Kroger shoppers card. That way you don't have to carry actual paper coupons.

I get most of my clothes and stuff from thrift stores and the Salvation Army.

sissychristi
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 6:31 PM

Would you mind posting your laundry soap recipe for us? I think a lot of mommas might be interested in trying it out.

Quoting jamiesmom1:

I make my own baby wipes from paper towels, water, rubbing alcohol, baby oil and baby wash. They work perfect.

I also make my own laundry soap. The supplies I need for it cost about 8.00 and I can make a 3-5 month supply with that. (If anyone wants the recpie just message me!)

I use Cellfire.com to electronically load grocery store coupons onto my Kroger shoppers card. That way you don't have to carry actual paper coupons.

I get most of my clothes and stuff from thrift stores and the Salvation Army.

Pandapanda
by Amber on Jan. 18, 2010 at 6:40 PM

Shop clearance! If it's not half off, it's not on sale.

I buy a lot of Ramen, and a lot of frozen mixed veggies. It's a quick and easy lunch or dinner. A handful or two of veggies with one pack of Ramen, so good.

Don't buy canned soups. Make soup in a crock pot or pot on the stove, put it in containers, and freeze it for later.

Buy in bulk, it's cheaper. Especially for pasta sauces!

Larger packs of meat tend to be cheaper than buying several smaller packs of meat. Buy the larger ones (like chicken legs, wings, and pork chops) and put them in freezer storage bags separated for meals.

Shop at the dollar store for your children's juice boxes, and juices, sodas, cereal, and bottled water are all cheaper there for the same products. That goes for shampoo and soaps as well. You can get herbal essences for $2-3 at the dollar store as opposed to $5-6 at a drugstore.

CafeMom Tickers

Due in July 2010? Join us here:

http://www.cafemom.com/group/108462

marynash88
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 6:43 PM

I make my own laundry detergent (powdered) and baby wipes. Saves a LOT of money right there. I do half and half with cloth diapers so that saves me at least half what it normally costs. I never made baby food, I fed her whatever we were eating when she was able to eat. A steamer is a GREAT thing to make food in. I try to shop at consignments and sales.

mvines1021
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 6:49 PM

We joined Sam's Club....i know there's a membership fee and that kinda sucks but overall there are a ton os savings and it is completely worth it!  Diapers are cheaper, I buy a large package of toilet paper (27 jumbo rolls) and paper towels, i think like 18 jumbo rolls per pack....for about $15..it seems like a lot at the time....but you save so much instead of spending $5 or $6 at the store for like 3 or 4 rolls.  We have a change jar!  We put all of our spare change in there and it adds up fast!  I use my debit card most of the time, but my fiance prefers cash instead of a debit card....last month we had almost $60 in change!  We love Big Lots and TJ Maxx!!!! At big lots i always get my laundry detergent and fabric softenrer.....$6 for 112 loads! Tj Maxx has name brand clothes for so much cheaper...it's well worth it!

JenieceMojica
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:26 PM

bump...... lots of great ideas mamas! 

Photobucket

K.a.C.87
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:44 PM

make your own nursing pads!!

i go thru SO many (i leak a lot from having had them pierced) i was spending $10 a month on those alone!

i just made my own and wash and reuse them! :)

I am a 22 year old Wisconsin mama to my precious daughter, Eliahna Maree, loving fiance to lee, pregnant with our little boy!! (1.26.10) Bryant Allyn. (trying to have successful VBAC), Disposible diapering, ERFing, breastfeeding, NON-CIO, Vaxing mommy turned to NON-VAXing!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)