Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Being Pregnant and a School Teacher!

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 6:22 PM
  • 4 Replies

I am 5 months pregnant and I teach 2nd grade. Does anyone have any tips to get me through the end of the year. I am so exhausted by the time I get home I can barely function. I need ideas???

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 6:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
grapejelly
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 6:42 PM

Wow, Hats off to you. 

I used to sub a lot, now I do one on one tutoring and I'm exhuasted...

You might be doing these things already... but here goes,

do as much as you can sitting down, get a stool for the front of your room if you write on the board

do as much as you can during the day so you don't have to stay late - like photo copying, or prepping

Do you have "classroom helper's" - kids can do a lot.. Or invite parents to come in.  One teacher I student taught with had a bunch of parents sign up for different days, sometimes they'd help us with the lessons (if it was super hands on) or do some correcting or photo copying.

Get really comfy shoes!

Hope some of that helps

CafeMom Tickers

TristiansMommy
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 6:52 PM

I am 5 mos pregnant as well. Actually 21wks and I feel the same way, i had to stop nursing school until the baby was born because sometimes i was too tired to get up. I always thought the 2nd trimester you were supposed to get a burst of energy, thats what happened with my first but I guess every pregnancy is different. One of my friends told me about Prenatal yoga. Once a wk at night and you feel rejuvenated the next day and not achy or tired. You do it in your second trimester. I am doing it in March so I hope it works. i have a 2.5year old i need all the energy I can get.

Good Luck!!

When are you due? girl or boy?

This is my second. 1st is a boy and this one is a girl and I am due June 1st 

doctorjm001
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 8:54 PM

I am in your same shoes! I am five months pregnant and teach 7th and 8th graders. First, I stay off my feet as much as possible. I roll my office chair to the front of the room so I can see the kids and only get up when they need me. Most of them understand and when they have a question they come to see me so I won't have to get up. I also make sure when I am on my prep hour I walk as much as possible to get a little exercise and get all my copies, activities done so I don't have to stay after. I eat snacks througout the day to keep my energy up. I also have like someone suggested above, student helplers. They are great to help run errands or do some things in the classroom. I try to relax for a few minutes when I get home and then go for a two mile walk. Exercise seems to help with being tired. I make dinner and then try to go to bed at a decent hour. I know how rough it is! My kiddos tire me out too! Hang in there!

3Xthelove
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:24 PM

Im a teacher as well...and this is number 3 while teaching for me.  To keep energized, I nap after I eat my lunch.  I also stay super hydrated, because that seems to keep me from getting overly tired.  All the other posters had great advice too!  Good luck! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)