Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Epidural or Demoral?

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 6:56 PM
  • 19 Replies

So I am 33 weeks this coming Thursday and I am starting to think about pain medications during labor.  I have been debating on whether to get an epidural or demoral.  Reading about these really haven't been helping me get any insight into which would be better.

I need some advice on these or other methods of pain relief from people who have had experience with them.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated :-)

Oh and this is also my first child! :-)

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 6:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mbelle25
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:02 PM

Having an epidural was the best decision Ive ever made! I went in to the hospital telling the doctor that I was just gonna feel it out and if I decided I needed medication I would tell her. 3 contractions later I was screaming for her to drug me lol. It made the whole process so much more comfortable for me, I was able to have my family in the room and calmly talk to them the whole time and when it came time to push I felt no pain - which I think made for better memories for me. And it didnt hurt to have it, I know the needle scares a lot of girls but the pain relief is instant! Good luck either way momma!

CountryMomma88
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:08 PM

Quoting mbelle25:

Having an epidural was the best decision Ive ever made! I went in to the hospital telling the doctor that I was just gonna feel it out and if I decided I needed medication I would tell her. 3 contractions later I was screaming for her to drug me lol. It made the whole process so much more comfortable for me, I was able to have my family in the room and calmly talk to them the whole time and when it came time to push I felt no pain - which I think made for better memories for me. And it didnt hurt to have it, I know the needle scares a lot of girls but the pain relief is instant! Good luck either way momma!

Thank you so much for that!  Yes, the needle really scares me.  Probably more than anything else that will happen that day lol.  I have been going back and forth about whether to get one and I just couldn't seem to decide.  I am hoping I can get the courage up for one.

Laurenn33
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:14 PM

I am not 100% sure on what advice to give you because I had an epidural and it was by far the worst experience of my life. I won't go into details because obviously I don't want to scare you. And as far as demoral, I have heard that it makes you totally groggy and sleepy which makes the experience very forgettable. The 2 ladies that I spoke to that got demoral said they would never get it again. So....that being said, I am going to try a natural drug free water birth. Anyway, good luck!!

pregnancy week by week
mbelle25
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:15 PM

I was really scared of that too. My doctor had me turn around when the guy came in to do the epidural so that I wouldnt see the needle. But like I said, by the time the needle gets in the medicine starts going in to your system so you dont even realize anything happened. Plus, not to scare you but the contractions hurt way worse than any shot ever could! LOL

Quoting CountryMomma88:

Quoting mbelle25:

Thank you so much for that!  Yes, the needle really scares me.  Probably more than anything else that will happen that day lol.  I have been going back and forth about whether to get one and I just couldn't seem to decide.  I am hoping I can get the courage up for one.

kltaylor07
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:20 PM

well i had both.  the demerol just kind of took the edge off, it was still VERY painful though.  it also made me feel drunk. 

i was very glad i got the epidural.  it made it so that i could go to sleep, get some rest, and enjoy my labor experiece.  trust me, when your in pain you are NOT going to care about the size of any needles.  i didn't even see the needle, nor did i care.  they give it to you during a contraction, so your already feeling the pain of those.  mine started to wear off at the end though.  i asked for more and my son was decending so fast that it couldn't keep up with him. 

Alaina83
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:20 PM

There is a book called Easing Labor Pain, it is really good and you shouls still have time to read it, there are allot of natural ways to help cope with the pain of labor, changing positions, using a birthing ball, getting in the water. If you want the drugs though an epi is probably your best bet. I can't personally recommend it because I got with my first but it did no good, they gave it to me too late. I did have the demerol and it was awful, didn't help the pain at all just made me feel pariniod and out of it.

cmhollen24
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:21 PM

i had an epidural with both of my girls and neither one of the worked:( i dont know what i'm gonna do this time other than if it hasnt worked the last two times i'm not doing that again

CafeMom Tickers
CountryMomma88
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:23 PM

Quoting Laurenn33:

I am not 100% sure on what advice to give you because I had an epidural and it was by far the worst experience of my life. I won't go into details because obviously I don't want to scare you. And as far as demoral, I have heard that it makes you totally groggy and sleepy which makes the experience very forgettable. The 2 ladies that I spoke to that got demoral said they would never get it again. So....that being said, I am going to try a natural drug free water birth. Anyway, good luck!!

Thank you for your advice.  I have heard that about demoral from a friend and she said sort of the same thing.  That is why I am so torn...I don't have a very high pain tolerance.  That being said, that is why I was wondering about epidurals.  I am hoping I can make the right decision for myself.

CountryMomma88
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:25 PM

I would have to turn around too lol.  Seeing that would make me even more afraid.  Oh you aren't scaring me lol.  I am already getting nervous about what to expect since this is my first baby.

Quoting mbelle25:

I was really scared of that too. My doctor had me turn around when the guy came in to do the epidural so that I wouldnt see the needle. But like I said, by the time the needle gets in the medicine starts going in to your system so you dont even realize anything happened. Plus, not to scare you but the contractions hurt way worse than any shot ever could! LOL

Quoting CountryMomma88:

Quoting mbelle25:

Mom2Bria
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:27 PM

When I went to the hospital my contractions were very close together, but I could breath threw them....My Dr. ordered the nurse to give me a shot of Demerol so that I could rest cause I was going to be in labor for a while...So I received that shot at like 1 in the morning...I could still feel the contraction, so I would wake up breath threw it and fall back asleep!! I thought that was wonderful! Then it wore off, which really wasn't that bad! I was checked at 7 am and was 4 cm dilated.....Then they checked me again at 11 am and I was 7 cm....They asked me if I wanted an epidural...I asked if I could think about it, because I was still handling the pain really well....They told me that if I waited that it would be to late to receive any at all....I should have just said no!! haha!! Well the anesthesiologist came and and told me the difference between and epidural and an intrathecal! Basically because I was so close to the end we decided on the intrathecal....It lasts only a couple of hours, and wears off slowly....The needle doesn't go in the same spot the epi goes, and there is no catheter that can move! I started pushing with at 2:30 pm......My DD wasn't born until 6:40pm!! YUP 4 LONG HOURS!! They said it took so long because she was in the face up position! Still I wonder if I did the right thing by taking the drugs so close to the end! I have mixed feelings about the whole thing.....And now being pregnant again I find myslef, like you going back and forth!! Talk to your Dr. about all the options that your birth center offers! Good luck!

breastfeedingbaby girlin loveexpecting baby~*~Holly~*~

Lilypie Maternity tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)