Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Child birth

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:12 PM
  • 17 Replies

Hey ya'll so Im not very far along right now however my friend is about to give birth and she has me wondering about a birth plan. I am wondering if any of you moms out there have had a natural birth? If so how did you do it and what drugs helped when you didnt use an epidural. I really hate the idea of an epidural and I have a pretty high pain tollerance and I really kinda wanna tough it out. If any of yall have any advice for me it is welcome please no bashing I just want to be educated a bit on this matter.

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Megara
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:20 PM

First I'd like to point out that true natural childbirth is not just epidural-free, it is medication-free and intervention-free (unless medically necessary).  In natural childbirth, the mother moves as much as she wants, labors in any position she wants, eats/drinks whatever she wants, is not on any time schedule, and pushes when she feels the urge to push.

I had a natural birth with my daughter, and will do it again with this baby.  Personally I don't think pain tolerance has much to do with it--it hurts, there is no getting around that.  It's how you prepare for it, and your attitude going into it.

If you are considering a natural birth, you should definitely educate yourself.  You will find that it is very rare to have a natural birth in a hospital setting (however not impossible--I have a friend that did it).  The documentary The Business of Being Born is good, as is Ricki Lake's follow-up book Your Best Birth.  You can also find books that focus on natural birth and midwifery, such as Ina Mae Gaskin's Spiritual Midwifery.

kityhawk13
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:23 PM

I did not do a natural child birth but I really wanted to - so I really respect that decision to try!  My number one word of advice is to make sure you explore your other options just in case.  I ended up being in labor for over 24 hours and was stuck on being dilated to a 6, my nurse suggested I end up doing an epidural, which I finally caved in and did, and I was able to finally progress enough to have my daughter without a c-section.  While I am not encouraging this at all I am just saying keep your mind open to possibilities of all options available to you!

There is a really good book called "Active Birth" by Janet Balaskas that I had purchased and read and received some really good tips on how to prevent using pain medications until I needed to!  Before I decided on doing the epidural, I did have one dose of IV pain medication which helped relieve some of the pain. They have lots of different approaches on massages and positioning that you could try with your birth partner!  I had a birth plan with my daughter and while I got to go with some of it, I had to change a lot of my options as well due to circumstances beyond my control!  Again, decide what you want and stick to your decisions, but also be willing to make changes if it is in the best interest of your child!  Good luck and much encouragement!

AddyLeigh
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:24 PM

My last birth was my 1st all natural, drug and intervention free. It was an amazing experience! For me, I knew I didn't want the epidural or any of the other drugs, so I knew in order for me to be successful with that, I would have to put myself in a position to where it wouldn't even be an OPTION. Which for me, was with an amazing midwife at a free standing birth center. Just stay focused on what you want and knowing that you can do it! Surround yourself with people who are going to be encouraging and reminding you that you are stronger than you think at times and how good of a job you're doing. Do your research about the kind of labor and birth experience that you want, and then make it happen! Know what's out there and what your options are and make some decisions before you go into labor. I'd also look into investing in a doula regardless of what kind of prenatal care you're getting. Also, take a class or classes about some pain management tools you can use.

sissychristi
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:58 PM

Exactly. Labor is painful, but it is pain with a purpose and therefore if you are prepared, you can manage the pain.

Education and a supportive team is the best way to have a natural birth. I highly recommend a home birth, or if that isn't an option, a birth center birth. Midwives at birth centers are less likely to push meds and interventions than hospital midwives.

I'm bumping this up for you because I see that Doulala is in the group right now and I know she will have an amazing reply for you. If she doesn't reply, PM her with your question.

Quoting Megara:

First I'd like to point out that true natural childbirth is not just epidural-free, it is medication-free and intervention-free (unless medically necessary).  In natural childbirth, the mother moves as much as she wants, labors in any position she wants, eats/drinks whatever she wants, is not on any time schedule, and pushes when she feels the urge to push.

I had a natural birth with my daughter, and will do it again with this baby.  Personally I don't think pain tolerance has much to do with it--it hurts, there is no getting around that.  It's how you prepare for it, and your attitude going into it.

If you are considering a natural birth, you should definitely educate yourself.  You will find that it is very rare to have a natural birth in a hospital setting (however not impossible--I have a friend that did it).  The documentary The Business of Being Born is good, as is Ricki Lake's follow-up book Your Best Birth.  You can also find books that focus on natural birth and midwifery, such as Ina Mae Gaskin's Spiritual Midwifery.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

doulala
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 8:40 PM
Quoting sissychristi:

I'm bumping this up for you because I see that Doulala is in the group right now and I know she will have an amazing reply for you. If she doesn't reply, PM her with your question.

Amazing reply?!   Oh, the pressure!!      lol!    With me up & down, making dinner and all, we'll have to settle for this:          ;-P

I just really love the subject of (natural) birth.   Maybe it's because of personal experience.    Also, I read about it and what seems to work tends to follow a common path.   

When moms avoid unnecessary interventions, to begin with, they can better stay in their normal-natural coping focus ("Laborland")--     this can more easily happen in a natural-supportive environment.  
Being distracted, interrupted, disturbed does break focus and mom has been working hard to get there.   That meditation keeps the pain manageable.   It can be intense, but moms can work through it.   Coming out of it, when it's repeatedly broken by others, moms can become discouraged, it's too hard to cope through!

Learning about natural coping options helps us to see what we can utilize when the time comes.
And learning about medicated coping options can really help us to appreciate why the former is better for us (baby & mom).
In addition, learning about the physiological process gives us a chance to have reverence for what is supposed to be, and why.   It is amazing how important natural is for the baby and the mom.  

The point of preparation is to realize we are capable of doing this, we just need to discover how to achieve it.     Insufficient preparation will more likely lead a mom to become overwhelmed and scared, unable to stay on top of the pain.

For moms getting started on their path, there are some wonderful books to begin with.   Normal-natural home birth videos, too.    And I like the natural birth classes rather than hospital ones.   

I have lots of suggestions, info, encouragement, ideas to share--   but these few things are great to begin with!

:-D

Just as a woman’s heart knows,

How and when to pump,

Her lungs to inhale,

And her hand to pull back from fire,

So she knows when and how to give birth.

- Virginia Di

ICAN

jilligan1997
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 8:43 PM

I did natural with my last one and I will with this one as well. I didn't use any meds for the pain, I used hypnobirthing and highly recommend it. It uses relaxation and visualization techniques to deal with the pain. It worked very well for my last labor, my son was induced and born within 5 1/2 hours. I am being induced this time as well, at 4 am actually and am hoping it works as well as it did last time.

Myspace Pregnancy Countdown Clocks

Sekzymexi
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 8:46 PM

Same here!

Quoting jilligan1997:

I did natural with my last one and I will with this one as well. I didn't use any meds for the pain, I used hypnobirthing and highly recommend it. It uses relaxation and visualization techniques to deal with the pain. It worked very well for my last labor, my son was induced and born within 5 1/2 hours. I am being induced this time as well, at 4 am actually and am hoping it works as well as it did last time.

soulawakening82
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:46 PM

I did an all natural (hospital) birth with my son, which was absolutely amazing, and will do another one for this baby as well. I have to agree with one of the PP and say it has ALOT to do with your mindset going into it. If you think it is gonna be too much to deal with, if you have doubt in yourself to be able to get through it, it will be harder. If you embrace your contractions and remind yourself that each contraction brings the baby closer, it helps alot. Look up some birth affirmations online. Alot of women print them off to have in the room with them when they are in labor. I didn't actually print them off, but I did keep them in my head. The main ones that helped me were the one I already mentioned, as well as not to fight the contractions, and I also watched Pregnant in America, which listed all the possible side effects of an epidural, and explains how all the drugs that are used during labor (not just pain meds) aren't actually intended, or FDA approved for that purpose. So, anytime I considered pain meds, I just reminded myself of that. I also had a doula, which was a TREMENDOUS help. Do some research, and decide what is best for you and your birth. There are also alot of GREAT natural birth groups on here.

I am a Breastfeeding, Co-sleeping, Baby-wearing, AP, Non-circing, Delayed Vaxing, Disposable diapering (researching cloth) Mommy to Collin David 03/08/09 Who doesn't try to push my views onto anyone else, so please don't push yours on me, but I do suggest you do your research!

mrspreggers14
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:09 PM

I did not originally plan for a natural child birth..  But My daughter really wanted to meet us (or something), so I HAD to do it naturally.  By the time I got into the hospital there wasnt time for anything..  I would say mostly to just try and relax as much as possible..  And it is going to be hard to relax but the more relaxed you are the better of youll be!!  I was totally not prepared to deliver my daughter naturally but it was totally worth it!!!  Even as unprepared as I was for it, it turned out better then I could have ever imagined!!  I wish you the best of luck!!

carliemarie1015
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:18 PM

I had a pain medication free birth with my son. it was my plan from the get-go, so I wanted to make sure I educated myself and made a "plan" about how I was going to manage the pain.

I had an unusually quick labor. I went into labor at midnight, and right from the get go my contractions were about 5mins apart. I wanted to stay home for awhile and monitor things and take a shower and keep myself relaxed. but my contractions stayed consistent and were picking up in intensity. we left for the hospital around...2:00a or so, and by then my contractions were to the point where they stopped me in my tracks. I got checked into the hospital and in my room around 2:30a. I was already 7cm! and I had heard GREAT things about the "birthing ball". and wanted to try it. which I LOVED! it didn't take long for me to progress and be ready to push. I pushed for 20min and my son was born at 3:52am that morning.

the pushing and delivery stage of my birth, was amazing. I felt no pain during that part. the birth was beautiful! and I loved every minute of my labor and delivery! even the pain! it's all worth that beautiful face in the end! 

just remember, women were made to give birth. a lot of it is mine over matter. surround yourself with people who support you and can calm you and keep you focused when you think you're going over the edge---which will most likely happen. (it did with me. I got to the point where I didn't think I could handle it anymore....needless to say, I was 9 3/4cm and was about to give birth---and those kinds of feelings are actually associated with being near the end.) just educate yourself, and prepare yourself, mentally and physically. it's tough work.

sorry for the novel! lol!
but good luck to you momma!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)