Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

does it really hurt?

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:54 PM
  • 23 Replies

i heard that it is very painful to breastfeed. Is it true? I wanted to breast feed but I'm starting to re think it. Suggestions?

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
veganimal
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:58 PM

I never had any pain except for when we had thrush. It isnt uncommon for there to be pain for the first few days maybe weeks but usually pain is caused by a bad latch.

house_wife
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:59 PM

it can be painful if you dont have a good latch, but its not *that* painful at all even then.

new baby

Proud mommy to Adrian 6/6/08 and soon to be mommy of Hailey. 

marynash88

Don't "Not" breastfeed because of fear of pain. It "can" be uncomfortable in the first few weeks as long as the latch is not wrong. If you are in severe pain, the latch is wrong and you will want to talk to a lacation consultant or a LLL leader. But being a tad uncomfortable the first few weeks can be expected because your nipples are not used to feeding a baby. The pain decipates and the feeding/bonding is wonderful (and so much cheaper)! I love breastfeeding and unless something serious ever happened, I refuse to ever formula feed. The benefits def outweigh the risks :) And if you can give birth, you can do anything!

purplemoosemom

It can initially or if you get thrush (yeast) or if you have a bad latch.  Normally, once you are not engorged and have mastered the latch, it's not bad at all.  I nursed my kids--3 out of 4--and plan to bf #5.  2 of them had a full mouth of teeth, too.  :)

doulala
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 8:01 PM

No, I always have to literally look to see if my DD is latched on because I can't tell at all!    If you are just starting out, having a poor latch, there is likely to be discomfort...    But getting informed, help, figuring it out will change that.

:-)

Good luck!

Birth is not only about making babies. Birth is about making mothers ~ strong, competent, capable mothers who trust themselves and know their inner strength.

~Barbara Katz Rothma

When you change the way you view birth, the way you birth will change. -Mongan

sissychristi
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 8:02 PM

Before deciding one way or the other, please contact your local La Leche League for more info.

If the baby is latched properly, there should be little to no pain when breastfeeding. Of course there are always exceptions, but the help of a latation consultant and people who have successfully breastfed can make breastfeeding a wonderful experience.

Pick up a copy of La Leche League's book, "The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding". It doesn't matter which edition as they are all fantastic resources. It covers every aspect of breastfeeding and I think you will be surprised at how many misconceptions there are out there after reading the book.

*Edit - The services provided by La Leche League are free, so don't worry about insurance or being able to pay for it. Most local chapters have monthly meetings you can go to before you have the baby.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Army_Wife41
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 8:02 PM

At first, yes. It can get quite painful. A suggestion to help with it.....try to "rough up" your nipples before your LO is born. It will cut back a little on the pain. Second, be careful of bad latches. If it is hurting when your LO latches on...chances are you have a bad latch...that can cause a lot of pain. Keep lanolin ointment with you at all times. It is a life saver for chapped/cracked nipples. If you feel you need it, do not hesitate to contact a lactation consultant. You and your baby have to learn to breastfeed together, it takes time and patience, but it is worth it.

Do not let the pain of breastfeeding scare you away from it. It only lasts so long, and the benefits to your baby are so great. If you just tough through the first part of it, you will find that BFing is a great, inexpensive, extremely nutritious, wonderful bonding experience for you and baby.

baby

CafeMom Tickers

BellaBlondie
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 8:03 PM

There is some discomfort at first, especially if you don't have a great latch, but the that goes away. If it HURTS, get help.  

amy31308
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 8:53 PM

I tried for 3 weeks.. and my nipples were a bloody cut up mess.  I cried everytime he ate. And he was latched properly. I'm going to try again this time. Hopefully this time things will turn out differently.

in lovetoddler boystork

We're beating the odd's. Married and loving it! July 5, 2008
I love being his mommy! Mason- born March 13, 2008

Expecting our next blessing- Emma Lee- May 30, 2010

having a baby

youngmommy22289
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 8:56 PM

for me it was not painful at all. i had no problems.  i ahve heard it can hurt if you dont ahve a good latch but that can be fixed.  it just takes some time but don't NOT breastfeed b/c of fear of it being painful.  good luck. remember breastfeeding is teh best for your baby..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)