Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Castor oil? Walking? Sex?

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 8:56 PM
  • 13 Replies

I'm ready to have this baby!  I have heard a bunch of different ideas about how to get labor started and was curious to see what you ladies have heard and to see if any of them REALLY worked for you.  Everybody talks about castor oil...how and how much of it are you supposed to take?

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 8:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
K.a.C.87
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 8:58 PM

ive had 3 friends take castor oil and it worked for them and 2 of them didnt have any nasty side effects. i took 1 tblspoon and it didnt do anything, no bowel movements even....its usually 1-4tblspoons. (most do 2)

I am a 22 year old Wisconsin mama to my precious daughter, Eliahna Maree, loving fiance to lee, pregnant with our little boy!! (1.26.10) Bryant Allyn. (trying to have successful VBAC), Disposible diapering, ERFing, breastfeeding, NON-CIO, Vaxing mommy turned to NON-VAXing!

jilligan1997
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 8:59 PM

lol, I just tried the castor oil since I'm being induced at 4 in the morning, I'm trying to get labor going on its own before then. Can't say whether it worked or not but my sister-in-law swears it made her go into labor, she took 2 Tbsp.  of it and chased it with a milk shake. I just took 3 Tbsp. mixed with orange juice (a friend recommended). So far no contractions but if it ends up working I'll let you know! good luck to you!

Myspace Pregnancy Countdown Clocks

sweetjessa
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:06 PM

I know I am going to get bashed for this knowing I am only 36 weeks but I have been contracting for 2 weeks now and I am dilated to 4 and 75 % effaced I have been walking all over the place and I tried sex until my mucus plug fell out now I am afraid because they say mucus plug blocks bacteria . AND NO ACTIVE LABOR same boring contractions I do a internal ultrasound tomorrow morning I Will let you know if there is any change from all this walking ...I will not try caster oil I am too early to be that selfish if I was 39 weeks I would but the fear of the baby pooping in me and getting hurt always in the back of mind and where do you even buy caster oil ?

Pregnancy ticker
StephanieCD
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:09 PM

Quoting jilligan1997:

lol, I just tried the castor oil since I'm being induced at 4 in the morning, I'm trying to get labor going on its own before then. Can't say whether it worked or not but my sister-in-law swears it made her go into labor, she took 2 Tbsp.  of it and chased it with a milk shake. I just took 3 Tbsp. mixed with orange juice (a friend recommended). So far no contractions but if it ends up working I'll let you know! good luck to you!

Keep me posted!  The poster after you was wondering where you buy castor oil and I was wondering as well.  Let me know if you have weird side effects too.  Good luck!

ConnorsMommy772
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:13 PM

Hey make sure you look up the dangers of taking castor oil. I know its rare but think about it, you take castor oil & then so does your baby. My doctor told me not to when I was prego with my son because it can cause the baby to have their first bowel movement in the womb and they can swallow it!!( that nasty meconium stuff) It is REALLY DANGEROUS to your baby. wasnt worth the risk for me.

StephanieCD
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:17 PM

Quoting ConnorsMommy772:

Hey make sure you look up the dangers of taking castor oil. I know its rare but think about it, you take castor oil & then so does your baby. My doctor told me not to when I was prego with my son because it can cause the baby to have their first bowel movement in the womb and they can swallow it!!( that nasty meconium stuff) It is REALLY DANGEROUS to your baby. wasnt worth the risk for me.

I just read about that in another group.  Thanks for the advice.  No castor oil for me.  Guess I'm back to the walking...even though it kills my back!

GaBrIeLlEsMaMa
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:29 PM

Quoting jilligan1997:

Doesnt work unless you are already dialated but wait! I took mine at 8 pm and nothing happened so I layed down at 1 am and the contractions started instantly! Went to the hospital at 4 am had her at 7!! It works, but it made me poop TONS, like sitting on the toilet for 15 minutes with the craps, but only 3 times.. Thank God I got it all out before I pushed! Good Luck.. Sex and walking never worked for me.. Just castor oil and spicy food

LaurenMichele
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:46 PM

I read on a midwife website about inserting Evening Primrose Oil at night before you go to bed. Maybe like 3-4 pills that desolve and soften your cervic to help you efface. You can get it at any drugstore like RiteAid. I started doing this at 36 weeks to help soften my cervix and at 38 weeks I was 50% effaced. I ended up being induced at 38 weeks bc of complications, but I think it worked to help the baby drop quickly and efficiently bc my labor was quick - 5 hours. I walked a TON so that might have helped him drop too. I'd look on some midwife websites for other ideas. Good luck!

Lauren

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

jilligan1997
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:53 PM

I bought it at meijer, it's a laxative so it's with the other laxatives probably at any drug store. I haven't had any nasty side effects yet besides burping up the nasty taste! I have had some contractions but now they're starting to become further apart, I'm hoping they'll come back.

Myspace Pregnancy Countdown Clocks

K.a.C.87
by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 9:48 AM

yeap, u can buy it anywhere in the pharmacy section with the laxatives....i got mine at walmart. all i got were maybe 10 very minor BH contractions and nasty burps too! LOL

Quoting jilligan1997:

I bought it at meijer, it's a laxative so it's with the other laxatives probably at any drug store. I haven't had any nasty side effects yet besides burping up the nasty taste! I have had some contractions but now they're starting to become further apart, I'm hoping they'll come back.

I am a 22 year old Wisconsin mama to my precious daughter, Eliahna Maree, loving fiance to lee, pregnant with our little boy!! (1.26.10) Bryant Allyn. (trying to have successful VBAC), Disposible diapering, ERFing, breastfeeding, NON-CIO, Vaxing mommy turned to NON-VAXing!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)