Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Have you seen a birth?

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:09 PM
  • 16 Replies

Have you witnessed a friend or sister,  or someone else deliver their baby?
What did you think?   What was it like?
Did you feel encouraged, inspired, scared, turned-off?
Did it give you ideas for things you'd like to try (or avoid)?

Birth is not only about making babies. Birth is about making mothers ~ strong, competent, capable mothers who trust themselves and know their inner strength.

~Barbara Katz Rothma

When you change the way you view birth, the way you birth will change. -Mongan

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
steph2884
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:11 PM

I saw my sil give birth, and it was amazing and emotional.

jkmeier8909
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:13 PM

i saw my sister give birth to my niece and honestly it looked really painful and it made me not want to have kids at all but here i am six months pregnant and still scared of the birthing process. lol however i was only 16 at the time. 

it was quite an experience to watch however. because there are actually quite a few family jokes that got started that day lol.

gabe11-14
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:16 PM

I saw a c-section when I was in nursing school, it honestly surprised me when thy were cutting how deep they were cutting and how rough it looked when they were pulling the baby out.

Baby Names - BabyNamey.com Name Badge Ticker

JHall
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:18 PM

I haven't but DH said he was very turned off by the whole vag delievery thing. He even said is it supose to look like that and the midwife said OH YES L/D is a beautiful thing. He told me after that, that the lady was full of BS cause that was not beautiful!!!!  That was with our first and really I didn't even want to see cause we had to watch the videos in school. With our second he got to watch the c section being done for the most part and thought it was the coolest thing he has ever saw. He's an odd one but I gotta love him right???  lol j/k

I don't think I would want to watch L/D I'm not a person that freaks out at blood and stuff but I don't know if I could actually watch something like that it probably be a big turn off from having kids.  I know it was for me in high school I didn't want to have kids ever but for some reason I changed my mind. I think I like not knowing/seeing things like this better.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
Randi02

Yes. My best friend had a baby and I was there for the birth. It was exactly what I expected, and she did amazing. No drugs, quick labour and a happy, healthy little baby and mama.

Both of my kids ended up being c sections, so I never got the birth I had hoped for and planned :(

I am a Canadian,breastfeeding (it IS best, there is nothing even close to that nutrition and bond), co sleeping, extended rear facing (if you don't rear face to the maximum of your seat, you're NOT doing all you can to protect your child), baby wearing, Non spanking (I want my kids to respect me, not fear me) ANTI- CIO, homemade baby food making, cloth diapering, organic (chemical free household!) recycling mama to TWO and one one the way! My husband is my equal and best friend, not my master and I believe basic health care should be a human RIGHT, not a privilege.

brianahernandez

I watched my mom give birth to my little brother. It was absolutely amazing. I hated how noisy and pushy the Doctors were...but to see my little brother, my 12-years-younger-twin hehe, being born was unexplainable....if that's a word.

Our Princess Isabelle....our precious goofball!!!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
lyric2005
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:19 PM

I have never seen anyone give birth. I have seen them on tv but never in real life. It would wonderful to be in the room with a friend or relative and help with the birthing process. I have thought about becoming a doula.

siggy

mnt_2_b_mommy
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:20 PM

I saw several in nursing school, both vaginal and c sections. There is nothing like watching a baby come into the world, however, the vaginal births left me really feeling badly for the moms. C sections are all pretty standard in how they are done, but the vaginal births I saw were just sad. The poor moms had no say in anything other than if they wanted an epidural or not, but the jerk doctor that was there for the deliveries at this particular hospital was really the problem. He pretty much just swooped in at the last minute and forced the baby out. If mom couldn't push baby out within the first 10 minutes he was in there, the vacuum came out. He wouldn't wait for the mom's body to deliver the placenta either, he was too impatient for that. He was absolutely the worst doctor I've ever come across as far as people skills and well, just everything about him was awful. This dr pretty much ignored the moms other than telling them to push harder, or push NOW, or stop pushing, and the worst- "be quiet! don't yell!". The saddest part about it all to me was the the moms didn't know their deliveries could be any different. They just thought that was how birth was. It was sad. I am SO GLAD I don't have to deliver in a place like that. These poor women had no choice though  as far as hospitals, as they go where medi-cal tells them to go. I guess I shouldn't feel bad for them since they didn't seem to care themselves, but I still do.

I can't wait for my VBAC though!! I know my dr isn't like this creep and the hospital I will be at is very hands off as far as labor goes, they are patient and respectful of the mom's wishes. I love it there. ;-)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
aubrees_mommie
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:21 PM

No but my dh said it was nasty and that he never wanted to have sex with me again haha a few nights later he asked if we could have sex and I said no I just had a baby

HeidiLong07
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:23 PM

I was there when my sister gave birth to my first nephew.  It was amazing, but it also scared me a little bit because i was only 14.  She did great...no drugs after a long labor.  It gave me and idea of what to expect when it was my turn.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)